Cody Ellis (Sydney)
Shaun Gleeson (Sydney)
Shane Harris-Tunks (Wollongong)
Dom Cooks (Wollongong)
Owen Odigie (Melbourne)
Tom Jervis (Perth)
Drake U'u (Perth)
Reuben Te Rangi (Breakers)

Before people say Teys, Odigie and Te Rangi all played previously. Yes, they did. However they were listed development players. This season is classified as their rookie season.

Personally my vote goes to Tom Jervis.

Topic #34064 | Report this topic

D4444  
Years ago

I'd go with Jervis as well.

Reply #465208 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

jervis clearly although i think Teys could be a late charger as hes been elevated to a starter on the 2nd best team and has held his own against some of the best players

Reply #465210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis or Te Rangi.

Reply #465212 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sticking with Jervis but TeRangi a very close second.
Of the rest only Young,Ellis and Teys made any impact. Ellis will benefit from a full preseason and a change in coach.

Reply #465215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi

Reply #465218 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Jervis

Reply #465222 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Mitch Young gets little recognition for his great debut season, he matched it with vukona in the last couple of rounds. I'd go with Jervis for the award though due to his consistency across the season. Ellis would have been a good chance with a full season. I think a lot of people over-rate Te Rangi. Teys has played well the last couple of games but was nowhere to be seen during the season.

Reply #465224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi 5.4ppg 52%FG 42%3P 2.0rpg in 13mpg. An 19 year old who produces that sort of efficiency is not overrated.

Reply #465226 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

1. Jervis
2. Te Rangi
3. Daylight

Reply #465230 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jervis. No competition

Reply #465242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daylight

Reply #465287 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Stuff the efficiency stat. Why didn't the coach play te Rangi more than 13 minutes per game if he was 'that' good? And don't bother bringing the age into it, he's playing in man's league.

Reply #465290 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

because the coach had Mika Vukona & Tom Abercrombie.

Reply #465304 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NBL rookies barely ever get court time or contribute in a meaningful way in this league. Te Rangi's numbers are great for a rookie in the NBL.

Reply #465309 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Mystro, wasn't Vukona the reason Te Rangi got that many minutes in the first place? I can't recall too many games where Mika wasn't forced to the bench due to foul trouble.

You would have seen many more of his games than I did so perhaps I'm being unfair on Mika..

Reply #465311 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Not fussed between Te Rangi and Jervis. Both produced whenever asked to.

Reply #465325 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In all due respect to Mitch Young of whom I absolutely love the way the kid goes about his game and I think he will improve a heap next season but...

Tom Jervis has been so impressive, he's had games where he's played nearly 30 minutes and then some where he has only played 12, yet he didn't drop his head and he has helped Perth win atleast 4 games with his hustle and hard work. I think his defence is under rated and he is decent around the basket.

Wollongong and Townsville in particular would be kicking themselves for not getting this guy earlier as he works hard, deserves his minutes and is a fuckload better than Ben Allen.

Shake for Dom Cooks that he was injured for much of the season as I looked forward to seeing him play!

Lastly as for Te Rangi, yeah He was quiet when Vukona wasn't in foul trouble
But who needs rookies when Vukona wins games by himself! Te Rangi is good and is an upgrade on that tattooed forward from last year (who's still too good to not have a job in NBL).

Reply #465340 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It was generally due to Vukona picking up quick fouls in the first quarter that TeRangi's minutes would increase with Vickerman then being forced to manage Vukona's minutes so that he could play him and Abercrombie together as the game wound down and victory slowly escaped from NZ's grasp.
IMO in some of those games TeRangi would have been better than a tired/frustrated Vukona/Abercrombie, especially with his hustle and energy.
Too many minutes based on reputation and not who's playing the hardest.

Reply #465341 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jervis had a pretty impressive season and did what was asked and then some.
He would be a pretty deserving winner of ROTY, especially if he plays well through the Finals and Perth get a title.

I'd be pretty perplexed if Jervis or TeRangi didn't win it.

Reply #465343 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Jervis,
It's not about how many points a rookie score, It's how much he's helped the team & He's helped his team more than the others.

Reply #465366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754