Coeezy
Years ago

Ron Howard sets D-League Scoring Record

http://stats.nbadleague.com/leadersGrid.html?Season=All%20Time&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&Scope=S&StatCategory=PTS&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

I'm assuming this was the same guy the 36ers had as an import a couple seasons ago?

Topic #34072 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Averaging 21ppg yet was a nothing import for the 36ers when we cut him.

Speaks volumes of the standard of the D-League though.

Reply #465456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is longevity in the D-League a positive thing. Surely you either want to crack the NBA or go make your money abroad?

Reply #465475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing 244 games equals a lot of seasons on mimimum wage. Obviously not good enough to get a real paying pro gig.

Reply #465476 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Lets not forget almost every player was under performing under Clarke.

Reply #465552 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Would love to see how Ron Howard would go under Coach Wright.

Reply #465553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another player making Clarke and Radford look bad again haha

Reply #465567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'567, has he though? Howard hasn't gone on to exactly make big money.

Reply #465600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well i think he has done ok, i see your point re making money, but it would be possible he doesnt want to live in Europe/Aisia with the language barrier, culture shock, away from family and friends, etc and hasnt had much of a look in places like Australia, which is a bit less of a culture shock, so choses to play D-league and maybe still beleives he is a chance at the NBA if he keeps putting up big numbers. He has had the odd tryout/training camp invite hasnt he?

I dont always equate success to how much money you make. Sure it goes against logic to not go overseas and make more money, but in some cases playing overseas isnt all its cracked up to be, and even his experience with Clarke may have been off putting, he may not want to bounce around different leagues each season with coaches who dont use him properly and he would seem like he isnt upto when he probably thinks he is, he showed glimpses to me, when he had the ball in his hands a little more, but those moments where few and far between, Clarke wanted him to be a stand in the corner and shoot the open shot type of guy, which isnt his game. Give him a similar role to Ervin as a scoring combo guard next to someone like Gibbo who compliments him well and i reckon he would do ok in the NBL.

I also would love to see how he goes under a coach who uses him properly, which Marty Clarke didnt.

One way to compare at what level is compare his d-league numbers to some successful NBL imports, and he stacks up ok, so to me he is of that talent level, its just getting to a team that uses him correctly and where he fits in with the group.

Reply #465728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying necessarily that money means success in all cases, but if someone's trying to suggest it makes Marty look bad, I think this is a bad example. And how else are you going to quantify it? Not like other short-lived NBL imports haven't scored well in the D-League.

Many players could camp in the D-League year after year and it wouldn't necessarily mean more than they don't want to go overseas (dislike, family, fear, whatever) or just can't escape chasing the "I dream NBA" carrot.

Reply #465745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very true Isaac,

I do beleive that Marty didnt use him very well though, making the scoring record in the D-league doesnt necessarily make Marty look bad either, but with Howard its a bit of a case of what could of been for me.

I have seen him play a few D-league games and he basically plays as a scoring combo guard, a bit of a similar role to Beal at the Wildcats or Ervin at the 36ers, im pretty certain if given a role like that he could have been atleast a half decent import in the NBL, and would love to see him play for someone like Wright in the current 36ers line up. Not saying he would be as good as Ervin or Beal, but dont think he would be far off the pace either.

At the same time if you recruited Ervin under Clarke and gave him the role that Clarke gave Howard, stand in the corner and shoot 3's, i reckon you would get similar to what Howard achieved. I think with alot of these import gigs, it is a case of getting into the right team, right coach who uses you in the right role, to me Howard wasnt the pure shooter that DeVries was but Clarke wanted to use him in the same sort of role, he could have been more flexible in his system and got more out of Howard, Howard also probably could have been more flexible with his side of things too, he may not have had the right attitude to make the situation work, its not all on Marty, but Howard was a decent import caliber player imo, as i dont think the talent gap between say Ervin, Howard, Beal is that much, just Ervin and Beal have been used better and played for better coaches.

You could also say Howard could have done things to be more successful under Clarke, its not all Clarkes fault, but very few imports/players really had top notch stints under Clarke and his system, so dont think thats a coincidence either.

Anyway i suppose thats just my theory on basically most of the imports in Clarkes system, CJ Massingale is another who we could have got a lot more out of imo, may not have been a MVP/stud import level guy, (Howard probably wasnt either) but could have been quite useful at the same time which we saw glimpses of, they just didnt quite fit Marty's system and didnt and may not have had the right attitude towards making it work.

Reply #465752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754