Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Geelong SEABL Womens coach sacked!

Whats the real story behind this, they've started well and off the back of 2 finals series?

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9574&cHash=6ccbea23e6

Topic #34087 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

I would suggest there maybe some issues with the playing group.

Reply #465960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They create a problem by not explaining why. It just makes people guess and spread rumors.

Reply #465989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something obviously has gone down. big time.

Reply #465993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with above anon, but what are you meant to say if it is something inappropriate?

Reply #465994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what if it's not? So quick to judge. Don't know any details but I know a man who is passionate about basketball.

Reply #466020 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Come on mate, you do not sack a coach this time of year without something going on behind the scenes.

Reply #466023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could easily be something as simple as a player revolt.

Reply #466028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Player revolt is what I am hearing.

Reply #466039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto

Reply #466048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprising really, coaching behavior has been a concern for a while now.

Reply #466051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason - A player revolt yes... It will be interesting to watch how the the Lady Supercats perform now, looking at the clubs record in the SEABL maybe "negative" and "long trainings" helped some of their on court success.
Good on you O'Brien for letting people know why the club has actually made this decision 3 games into a season because Basketball Geelongs Statement left alot of people asking questions.

Geelong Advertiser
MEAGAN ROOTH
TUESDAY APRIL 1 2014

SACKED Lady Supercats
coach Paul O'Brien has
slammed Basketball Geelong’s
handling of his sudden dismissal,
just three games into
the SEABL season.
O’Brien, who has guided
the women’s outfit since 2011,
had his two-year contract terminated
on Sunday, effective
immediately.
The club has appointed former
Supercats player Bruce
Hultgren as interim coach.
"What disappoints me more
was the way in which the process
was handled," O’Brien
said yesterday.
“The total lack of regard for
my welfare was significant and
most disappointing.”
Basketball Geelong chief
executive Dean Anglin said an
in-house meeting took place
last Monday and again on Sunday
before O’Brien was informed
of the decision.
Anglin declined to reveal
the exact nature of the forced
departure.
However, O’Brien said
player welfare was a major
theme of the talks on Sunday.
The baffled coach was told
he was too negative and his
training sessions went for too
long, among other concerns.
But O’Brien said he had always
put the personal and
health needs of players first,
also helping with entry to tertiary
study and sourcing financial
support.
“My pastoral care for the
needs of my players was well
known,” he said.
O’Brien has also been dealing
with difficult private family
matters this year, which Basketball
Geelong was aware of.
“The irony of 'player welfare’
was not lost on me at
times during the meeting,” he
said.
O’Brien was three games
into his third season at the
helm of the Lady Supercats,
with two wins and one loss on
the board. He took the team to
a conference grand final in
2012, playoffs in 2013 and was
responsible for recruiting most
of the current roster.
“I am very proud of the
achievements of this group
and the players who have preceded
them,” he said. “The future
looks very bright for
Geelong women’s basketball.”
Anglin said after “thoughtful
consideration” O’Brien was
not the “right person” to lead
the Lady Supercats.
“The club understands this
decision may come as surprise
to some given the team’s oncourt
success,” he said.
“But we simply believe this
is the right decision for the future
and have made a conscientious
decision to move
on.”

Reply #466091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Revolt primarily lead by one player apparently.

Reply #466093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dissapointing!!!
A player putting herself before the team.
Lets hope she has a stand out season under
a new coach if thats the case.

Reply #466095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about a name then if it is only 1 player. If people weren't happy with Basketball Geelong's statement yesterday because it left questions, this just puts a question mark against the name of 12 players by speculating it was just 1 who lead the revolt.

Reply #466100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or, everyone can just move on!

Reply #466101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain Courtney Williamson as a result of her minutes being lowered due to average performances.
Poorly managed by the club, coach unsupported and players now in charge it would appear.

A proved, winning, successful coach fired because the club can't get the players in line and replaced by a coach who has no history of developing any player outside of aussie hoops, no proven success at junior or senior level and no credentials to support the appointment. It is observed. What is this club thinking?

Reply #466153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Courtney was reluctant to remain with the club and had been approached by rival clubs in the off season as she was fed up with the coach.

The replacement is only interim for the remainder of the year.

More to coaching then X's & O's, this is a good move by the club as the writing had been on the wall for quite a while.

Reply #466159 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

It could only go one way or the other. Either the player goes or the coach goes. If the player has the support of the team its a no brainer right or wrong. Who wants to be a coach?

Reply #466160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great point happy days

Reply #466162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been handled terribly by the Geelong club. If things were that unhealthy for so long, it should have been managed before the season started. Instead of airing their dirty laundry 3 games into the season.

Now what's happened is a coach's reputation was no doubt questioned in the worst possible way. A player who shares the floor with other players has created a rebellion, against their coach. Not acceptable form!

The CEO has no idea 1st year in and it shows

Reply #466167 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Pat Riley always said you need everybody heading in the one direction and no matter how good a player they are if they dont buy in its time for them to go.
Bit different at this level as there are no ready made replacements not like the NBA where you can trade them.

Reply #466169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new CEO is maybe trying to clean up a few things down at Geelong.

O'Brien had a few in his pocket in major decision making roles at the club which obviously don't have as much say anymore in order to get the job in the first place.

Reply #466171 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I don't think it's fair to say that it was terribly handled by the Geelong club. They have certainly not aired any dirty laundry, all negative comments have come from speculation and innuendo on this forum, and from a coach who has just been terminated. He's not exactly going to have glowing things to say about a club that just fired him.

Much better to make this decision now for the good of the team, and the club, than for it to come to a more detrimental conclusion halfway through the season.

The new CEO has done an excellent job in the role so far in my opinion, and handled this unfortunate situation with discretion and respect.

Reply #466172 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I will support Beth in what she has posted, Dean has a tough job and in my opinion has done it as well as he possibly could. History will show that the Geelong Basketball Association has undergone many changes recently, and appears to be heading in the right direction.

Reply #466176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beth,

Your obvious emotional connection the supercats clearly clouds your judgement on all things Geelong. This has clearly been handled horribly by the CEO & the club and a coaches reputation shattered as a direct result of poor management.
The player at the centre of all this has a history of dividing teams and putting herself above the clubs she has played for.

Reply #466177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are referring to Courtney's history let me just say, she is a quality young individual.

The coach on the other hand, well lets just say his history has had some issues in terms of dividing teams....

Reply #466182 | Report this post

Mycroft  
Years ago

Its disappointing to read all the above, that players have so much to say on there Coaches futures. Especially when it can be argued that coaches give player opportunities.

Questions need to be asked how well did the club try and mediate tension between Coach and Player(s). Given that the CEO is making bold decisions on there branding it would appear he has pulled the trigger early. You only need to look at the facts and past performances, the best predictor of future behaviour is passed behaviour.

Paul O'Brien is renowned for doing the upmost for his playing group and ensuring there treated as elite athletes. Providing living, academic and employment arrangements to ensure they can perform to there best level. Its fair to say he has gone above and beyond the responsibilities of the role of a Head Coach.

I would be shocked to hear that the player is Courtney Williams given the support that he has given to her. Especially given he could of recruited a WNBL Calibre point guard and a proven performer at that level who recently moved back to the area. This was never an option due to his commitment to the current guard rotation.

Who extends a coaches contract then within 3 months, then terminates based on the grounds "However we are of the belief that Paul is not the right person to lead the McDonald's Geelong Supercats SEABL women and that the best course of action for the club and the players was to move forward with a new head coach." Dean Anglin can you please explain why you extended his contract to then terminate and appoint a coach with no experience in the female game! The player or the players must be taking a pay cut to pay a new coach as they now need to pay a coach out!

Dean Anglin clearly has a lot of experience in management due to working at Geelong broadcasters. Im not sure the extent of his experience in Sport or Basketball, I can't find it on his Linkedin: http://au.linkedin.com/pub/dean-anglin/33/45b/687

Although there appears to be extensive time spent in Wodonga, maybe he experienced Coach and player management there. As my brother says, Its elementary.

The wash up will certainly be, that the Lady Supercats have made a knee jerk reaction in relation to the decision.

I hope when the dust settles that those responsible are going to be accountable for there actions but as usual, people don't consider others only themselves.

The Shadows will appear sooner than you may think!
Mycroft

Reply #466185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not the forum to questions people character. Neither individual.

Im sure all individuals knowing what they both know now, may go about this situation very differently.

To say the CEO has done the right thing here though is laughable and Beth you are close to the inner sanctum but to believe that this decision was the right one to make without any sort of mediation is crazy. Peoples reputations and well being at stake and not taken into consideration.

The way I read it the sacked coach has conducted himself with class! stated it came as a surprise and he had always his players welfare at mind!

Reply #466187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^anon you need to read what has been written more carefully. You are contradicting yourself.

Reply #466194 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Geelongs media release. It was to the point and theres no need for them to go into anymore detail out of respect to all concerned.

Reply #466199 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

I don't know for certain (I'm no longer in the "inner sanctum" and don't have anything to do with Geelong these days) but I believe that the extension of Paul O'Brien's contract occurred prior to the appointment of Dean Anglin as CEO.

I like Paul a lot as both a coach and a person, I got on very well with him when I was at Geelong, he is certainly very passionate and did a great job of recruiting and helping to build the SEABL program. We also butted heads a lot when he had his own ideas that did not fit with the overall direction of the club as a whole. Nothing against Paul at all but I was surprised when his contract was extended last year as I believe it was done without consultation of the playing group.

The Geelong Advertiser article also says that in house meetings were held last Monday and Sunday. To me that would suggest some sort of mediation was at least attempted.

Reply #466212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeing that he recruited the whole playing group
why would they need to be consulted?
They obvisouly wanted to play for him or they wouldnt have moved from other programs to join his.

Reply #466220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't his program, maybe that is the point?

Reply #466222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you honestly think one player has that organization by the basketballs your clearly misguided. No coach can be terminated without due cause or at least a majority opinion especially with two years left on a contract. it would have been nothing to promise that player that changes will be made next season..if that was the issue. I have no clue what player people are referring too but if her dad doesn't own the team what leverage does she have to get a coach fired?

Reply #466227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get the feeling Williamson simply provided the catalyst for the board to enact out an already pre determined course of action...

Reply #466230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly cant afford to pay a coach after decking out their whole stadium. Was there on the weekend cant say that would have been a cheap exercise.

Reply #466240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there Saturday too, and while I agree it would probably not have been a cheap makeover, it certainly was a good one. Best game presentation in the league by a wide margin in my opinion.

Reply #466242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williamson being made a scapegoat for being the captain and taking the entire playing groups concerns to the board.

Reply #466243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Jealousy, someone can't handle the fact that another association is having a go at improving things?

Reply #466247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW Jealousy #466247

That is a new spin of the subject matter. Little bit of reaching I would say

Reply #466255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reference to the stadium comment, anon is jealous of what they saw at Geelong.

Reply #466259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying something wouldnt have been cheap doesnt mean someone is jealous just pointing out a observation.

Reply #466263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Possibly cant afford to pay a coach after decking out their whole stadium.'

This comment smacks of jealousy, envy if you like. The coach's contract will have to be paid out regardless.

Reply #466280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's womens basketball who gives a crap.

Reply #466495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There goes more junior money

Reply #466528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your wrong. The women's program does not draw money from the junior program at Geelong.
Sounds like it does at your club?

Reply #466555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all know the supercats merged for money only

Reply #466559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your wrong. The club merged after a BA directive to SEABL clubs to be association based.

So many bitter people with so little knowledge of the topics they comment on. SMH

Reply #466567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would SEABL clubs have to follow a BA directive? They are a seperate league from BA aren't they?

Reply #466590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL have not voted on joining any organistaion yet.

Reply #466593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This directive wasn't made this year. Supercats and Basketball Geelong began joining in 2011. BA had decided that SEABL would be the underpinning league to NBL and required all teams to be or become association based. This has since change, however the two groups were joined by this time.

Reply #466595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think sometimes people forget SEABL is a senior professional competition and for a players to grow and get to the next level they need to learn
you need a coach that pushes you because at the end of the day that person is investing time into making you better.
Goodluck Paul O'Brien im sure you won't find it hard to pick up another coaching position with your long list of credentials.
Thank you for all you did for The Lady Geelong Supercats couldn’t have been a easy job the last 3 years - introducing a team Into the SEABL, setting up a competitive program and giving opportunities to a lot of players who may not be where they are today without your help and guidance.
As a Geelong supporter im disappointed we couldn’t give you a send off you fully deserved but time will tell who will be the winner out of this decision.
The program and principles you developed will forever be a legacy in Geelong and I hope this club and players never forget that.
Thank you again.

Reply #466604 | Report this post

Mycroft  
Years ago

Part of the reason the Lady Supercats merged was because it was a requirement from the SEABL that you needed to have Men's and Woman's. Hence when Dandenong and Sandringham re entered the league the woman's team went across swell.

I would be surprised if the lady cats get any funding from its Junior program as it was a massive objective from the Coach that it was self sufficient. Hence all the work he did with gaining sponsors and building a sustainable woman's program. Any Association would be lucky to have a Coach put the extra time in building sustainability off the floor.
Small memories lets sack him on a knee jerk reaction without mediation!!

The Shadows will appear sooner than you may think!
Mycroft

Reply #466605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Mycroft. Let keep an eye out and see how many players move on next year, even though they have pushed out a well rounded performer within the club.

Reply #466613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ripple effect on this will be seen down the junior female lines in the club.
In an era that takes high resource and dedication to just keep girls playing basketball let alone introducing them to the game it will be well known to the junior players and parents what actually occurred and how it was poorly managed.

The club has avoided announcing the real reasons to the knee jerk decision but make to mistake, it will show effects down the line to junior girls.

Junior players/parents/teams/parent groups will challenge coaches training requirements and why shouldn't they... the lady supercats did it and got the club to fire a productive, successful coach.

Disappointing.

Reply #466615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats or Superbrats?

Reply #466624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a fan of the Supercats and to be honest, I would have been more surprised to see Paul still coaching next year or even to have seen out this season then I am with the timing of this news.
Highly doubtful this is a knee jerk reaction by the club, it is a big decision and something they would have taken careful consideration of - timing may not seem great being only 2 weeks into the season, but it could very well mean seeing a team in a better place take to the floor this week, and have them in a better place for the rest of the season.

Good luck to them for the rest of the year

Reply #466630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However we are of the belief that Paul is not the right person to lead the McDonald's Geelong Supercats SEABL women and that the best course of action for the club and the players was to move forward with a new head coach."

If the club didn't think he was right person for the job careful consideration would have actually been not renewing his contract at the end of last season.
This could have saved the O'Brien alot of time and effort he put in over Pre Season but im sure they can now benefit from his careful fowarded planning and recruiting.

Reply #466644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

article on the new coach:
INTERIM McDonald's Geelong Lady Supercats coach Bruce Hultgren believes his roster can overcome the departure of Paul O’Brien and contend for the 2014 SEABL title.

O’Brien had his contract with the club terminated on Sunday, less than 24 hours after an impressive seven-point win over Dandenong which has Geelong sitting 2-1 after the opening fortnight.

Hultgren was swiftly installed as caretaker and took training for the first time on Monday.

He has told Supercats.com.au it was straight back to business for the playing group.

"To their credit, on Sunday night when the news was broken, they took it upon themselves to openly say “we need to band together",” Hultgren said.

“They went and immediately had a team meeting, and then the atmosphere Monday night training was “let’s get to work, we’re good enough, let’s do it”.”

Hultgren, who played 205 NBL games with Geelong and North Melbourne, has had another former Supercat in Glenn Sharp join the coaching staff, with both current assistants Tim Sanderson and Col Darrington retained.

Sharp will play an important role during the middle of the season, assuming the number one position while Hultgren is on duty with the Vic Country under 16 men’s team in the lead-up to the National Championships, which will be will be held in Geelong in July.

“We’re preparing the girls already that his is going to be happening and Glenn was at the first session on Monday as well,” Hultgren said.

“So there won’t be any confusion on the message, and the good thing about these girls is they’re intelligent women.

“The rules don’t change. If you’re smarter than the other team, and you work harder, you win.”

Only minor tweaks have been made to the Lady Supercats game plan, with Hultgren reticent to make drastic changes.

“Offensively, we’re not making too many tweaks. We’ll just have a few more look.” Hultgren said.

“(But) there’s been a couple of defensive things we’ve already thrown in differently, and the girls have responded to that.

Hultgren is well aware of the expectations placed on the roster, which has added former WNBL Rookie of the Year Tayla Roberts from Hobart and ex-Ballarat star Kate Willey, and had Anna Teague return.

He believes the work ethic of the group will ensure the Lady Supercats have a big say in the post-season.

“I know it’s the old cliché, but if we do what I know we’re supposed to do, everything else will take care of itself.” Hultgren said.

Reply #466645 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I was at that geelong dandenong game, supercats were lucky to come away with that win if you look at the stats, rangers just had a really bad shooting night, but the rings at the arena are very unforgiving both men and women's teams found the same issue, cant see the same thing happening on the rangers home turf so they would want to hope the new coaching group can fix what they must think isn't working.

Reply #466652 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Beth since when is a playing group consulted on the coaching staff, I always thought a coach chose their team, if that's the case then its surely brat type of behaviour from one or more players as they havent got their way. As for the guard Williamson, she was very good as a junior but shes just to darn small to compete in the SEABL league these days with the size they bring in. She struggled to contain rangers guard todhunter in the first quarter so was subbed off, then put back on when todhunter was sidelined due to foul trouble from Duck, Dandenongs youngest player Sat night was subbed on in todhunters place so Obrien took that opportunity to put Williamson back on,the youngster not only killed her up and down the crt and was head and shoulder above her in height, she then took her on one on one and left her standing in her own dust, coach O'brien was quick to sub her off after that. I'm a huge supercats fan and think Obrien has done wonders for the whole women's program, but I think they have made the wrong choice here if its been player or coach go.

Reply #466658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beth im pretty sure if the players wernt happy with their coach they wouldnt have signed contracts to play under him this year.

Cracks wont show until it comes to resigning that will be evident who stays and who goes.

By now the league knows why O'brien was sacked so I can only imagine the supercat point guard will recieve a bit more attention from her opposition now.

Reply #466661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In regards to Saturday night, Williamson was actually subbed out in the first quarter after picking up her 2nd foul; you don't often leave players on the court early in the match with 2 fouls and allow them to pick up a 3rd before quarter time. She then returned with a couple of minutes to go in the first quarter and played out the quarter. By the end of the game Williamson had actually played more minutes than she did in either game in Canberra the previous weekend.

As for the rest of the league knowing why O'Brien was let go - that is probably true, and no doubt that the information they know is a lot more accurate than some of the stuff being implied on here.

Reply #466665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy some time off with your fiancé O'Brien,
wont be too long before clubs come knocking.

Reply #466668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck Paul and good luck to the Supercats.

Reply #466730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If you're smarter than the other team and work harder you win"!!! Mmmmm

Reply #466769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't one of the groups main gripes having to work so hard at training????

Reply #466837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't one of the groups main gripes having to work so hard at training????
-----
Not according to the article from Paul: *The baffled coach was told he was too negative and his training sessions went for too long, among other concerns.*

Nothing about having to work hard at training - at least not according to what was said by Paul, because the club kept quiet on the specifics on the issues. Maybe the issue with training going for too long is that training sessions made insufficient use of time, rather than a shorter training sessions that were actually beneficial.

Reply #466845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a pampered group of players to me. Should have kept the coach and cut the problem players.

Reply #466851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were possibly the most prepared team in the league and those training sessions that went over Im more than certain you could count them on one hand.
At the end the day if your part of a leadership group voice your concerns firstly to your coach not the board. Other coaches in the league will have long memory of not only a players ability but the way they deal with on court issues.

Reply #466854 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Sport or not that is a workplace situation. and how you speak to people matters.. to think it's okay just because your a coach you can speak to players in a mannor that they feel is not respectful and they have to take it is old fashioned and unacceptable now in any workplace. Not to mention they are female athletes not male and the common mistake is thinking you can treat them the same. As for getting rid of the players instead of the coach... You don't sacrifice the many for the few. Just because athletes are privilaged and paid does not mean they don't deserve basic respect.

Reply #466856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^You obviously have not been around many FEMALE basketball teams.... the language is arguably worse than mens teams.

Either way, the gender is irrelevant when it comes down to behaviour and how to speak to people.

Reply #466859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the sounds of it these so called 'professional and elite athletes' need to suck it up or play at a lower level. A big loss for Geelong, good luck to Paul! A great coach who got the best out of what he had.

Reply #466863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitting behind the bench at most home games it was more than evenient the yelling was because players persisted in most cases to go against the game plan and act as inderviduals. They soon forget all the postive praise they were given to instead harp on the negative.
Ive been witness to absolute personal sprays on players character in stadiums of thousands over the years but to O'Briens defensive his critisim of player was always "why did go away from the game plan".
Just because a coach is vocal on the sidelines maybe actually listen to what he is saying before you think its all negative.

Reply #466866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said these were professional and elite athletes? The players on the team are students, and/or have full time jobs; SEABL is far from a professional league, and considering that those on the mens team other than the imports all have to work to make a living, I would very much doubt it is any different with the women,

Reply #466875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL is Australia's premier league in the winter and renowned as the second highest division in the country. You will also find that it is not only the imports that get paid to play, yes it is not enough to make a living for most but this is also the case in the WNBL (which i hope you agree that these are professional/elite athletes as well).

Reply #466889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^"SEABL is Australia's premier league in the winter"

Only because the SEABL internally promote this slogan. Wake up - it's not.
Granted it used to be in the 90's and early 2000's, it has not been close for many many many years now.
Get out of your Victorian bubble and look at the SBL, Warratah & QBL.

The consensus on this thread is clear; The CEO & Supercats handled the firing of the coach poorly & the players behaviour was deplorable.

End thread.

Reply #466892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would call professional athletes those that are able to make a living out of their chosen sporting field without the need to work (especially full-time work) when away from their sporting commitments.
I would call leagues such as SEABL and the WNBL semi-professional because you do have athletes who are able to make a living from it and have that as their job, but for the majority they aren't in that position.
If you want these players to train like professional athletes and have basketball as their number 1 commitment in their lives, then pay them as such; but until that happens realise that these players are making sacrifices to attend trainings, to play (especially away games on a Friday night, particular interstate games), so maybe they deserve some respect.

Would you call the Canberra Capitals Academy team a professional team in this league when they have no budget to pay their players, and this includes Nat Hurst who has signed to play for them this season, for nothing if she is in the position to suit up during the year.

Reply #466895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone here actually spoken to the players to get their side of the story and an understanding of the actually issues they had with the coach (other than his paraphrasing in the article on Tuesday?), how long these issues have been a factor for, whether or not something had been tried to resolve the problems and just how many of the players (new, old & even look at those who walked away from the club at the end of last season) have actually put their hand up to say they were unhappy with the situation?

Reply #466899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the are professional players then shouldn't they act professionally?

Reply #466906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what evidence is there to say that the players have acted in anything other than a professional manner?

Reply #466909 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

think some of the Geelong players needed to grow up this is a seniors league, it is not run on crt time but on ability to make use of the crt time your given, in any job unfortunately the boss has to be listened to and you do the job your instructed to do, if you don't like it there's the door. That's what is wrong with today's world, everyone things that the world owes them, instead of being accountable for them selves and respecting those who are leading them. Again if those players didn't like it go else where, only a couple of those Geelong players are what you would call high calibre players, Williamson is NOT one and if she has been the cause then she needs a reality check.

Reply #466966 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I think it's funny that whether they complained or walked away some of you would have had the same opinion about them. That they some how deserve to be abused because it's senior basketball and that they are soft for speaking up. What do you want your kid to do? speak up? quit? or take it? Seems to me if a majority loved him they would take a stand wouldn't they? Haven't heard a peep yet.

Reply #466987 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Michael its seniors mate not VJBL or domestic ...(even then parents should butt out), if you want to play with the big kids grow a thinker skin, honestly this is what is wrong here,they are not KIDS.

Reply #467007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people really believe that 1 individual player would be able to get the coach sacked? Especially after 1 round?

What happened, the team returned from Canberra and the captain went to the board to say she was unhappy about minutes being shared around over the first weekend double header and she wants the coach sacked?

The fact that a meeting was held straight after the first round of the season suggests that the issues behind Paul's termination run deeper than just 1 or 2 players and have been around longer than just 1 round but that something has possible happened either just prior to the trip or during the trip which was the tipping point, and that Monday's meeting was due to a culmination of issues and that the board felt they had no option but to act.

There is no doubt that Paul has done some great things with the club, taking them through to the conference final in the 2nd season was great. But maybe he had taken the team as far as he could and a change was needed for the team to continue moving forward and continue to grow stronger.

Reply #467009 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I didn't say they were kids..but they are someones daughter..My question was what would you advise your daughter to do? speak up? quit? or take it? Not like these are all 30 year old married women mate.

Reply #467020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year when Ballarat had a coaching restructure just 1 week into the SEABL season and changed the head coach of the womens team, was there this level of criticism of them for acting during the season and not before or after the season? Considering that Ballarat went on to face Knox in the conference final and was actually leading the match in the last, I would say that the coaching change didn't hurt them too much.

Maybe Geelong will respond in the same way and this change will unite the team.

Reply #467066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Geelong women are a fair weather group and its not surprising given the selfishness & cloak/dagger move displayed by the captain. The players will already be questioning what she has done here and they will be discussing it with each other offline. There will be a noisy few dominating the majority on this.

Michael - time to cut the cord maybe. Your obviously a parent of one of the women, its not juniors pal.

Reply #467075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if the majority wanted this change?

Reply #467076 | Report this post

^^^ anonymous ^^^

I see you also have some knowledge of this situation.

Please send us an email: [email protected]

Love to use you on our new site launching!

Reply #467396 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Nope my daughter's are 18, 10 and 7 and do not play ball for Geelong. I've just coached women's sport for 26 years and know that it's not just what your communicating about but how you communicate it. Just because you have a justified reason to cuss a player out doesn't mean it's necessary to do so. Growing up as you say, means standing up for what you believe is right not taking it because that's the way it is. It doesn't have to be that way. And I'm not saying a coach shouldn't yell. But the yelling should be in disappointment not anger and his players should be able to know the difference by what the coach says when yelling.

Reply #467485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at how this transpired:
1. Captain getting minutes cut in games
2. Captain keeps going out of plays to improve her situation
3. Captain is tired of being highlighted at games for her lack of performance
4. Captain does not want to train longer to fix her situation
5. Captain does not have the skills or ability to remedy her situation
6. Captain rallies players
7. Captain uses her popularity to go to the board as a pseudo united group
8. CEO response by sacking coach
9. CEO execute sacking it in a manner that questions the coach in the worst possible way
10. Club feels backlash
11. Club tries to deflect and touch up the process in their favour
12. NO ONE ACCEPTS THAT

Outcome:
• Club loses a lot of respect
• Captain looks hopelessly out on her own
• Basketball may lose another coach if he has had enough of this treatment

Reply #467503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ total load of crap

The issues have been simmering for a lot longer than just 1 round into the season and involves a lot more players than just the captain or some false belief from a couple of here the captain has somehow conned her teammates into supporting her side of things.

Maybe people should be paying more attention to Beth's comments from earlier in the week - the club has handled what is an extremely difficult situation with discretion and respect for all parties; the negativity, speculation and innuendo has come from posters on this forum & from what the coach said in a departing interview.

In past years the club hasn't been scared to make difficult decisions in season (and early in the season) to release players from their contracts if they felt that the player wasn't the right fit for the club. If the only issue here was one players ego and that they aren't buying into the team ideals then the club would have cut that player and not the coach.

A difficult decision had to be made, but the decision made is for the good of the team and the club and will allow them to move forward. If no decision was made at this stage, then people would be questioning why didn't the board & CEO act sooner and how could they allow the situation get to that stage it did.

As we saw last year when Ballarat made the decision after the 1st round to change senior coaches and they made it all the way through to the conference final; early season changes don't have to be a bad thing.

Reply #467530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know all of this? Who is your source?

Because we are getting very conflicting reports in regards to many of your claims.

Reply #467574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@#467530

What a lot of twisted ramble, stay with the facts and not the spin. Geelong have handled this poorly, due to a CEO who is new to the position. Should have been better in all areas.

Reply #467639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

of what @#467530 said, which is not fact?

- the issue has been around longer than 1 round of SEABL and the issue involves more than just the captain of the team: FACT

- the club has been discreet and respect to all parties involved in what is a difficult situation: FACT

- Speculation and innuendo has come from certain posters on this board and from the coaches departing interview: FACT

- The club has made difficult decisions early in previous seasons to release players who weren't working out and it was best for the team to allow all parties move forward: FACT. Jason Reardon in 2010, Yusuf Qaafow 2 games into the 2012 season. If the issue was limited to 1 player why would they not take the same action again?

- If no decision was made at this stage, if things were allowed to simmer until the middle of the season with things getting worse then people would have questioned how the administration allowed it to get to that stage without acting. FACT

- Ballarat changed coaches 1 game into the 2013 SEABL season, made the conference grand final & actually led the game with 3 minutes to go; coaching change early in season didn't have a negative impact for them: FACT

total agree with @466243; people on here are making Williamson a scapegoat for taking the concerns of the whole playing group to the board.

Reply #467652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is questioning Paul's coaching ability or what he has achieved in his time at Geelong, but what has been acknowledged is that he was no longer the right coach for the team moving forward and a change was required.

It was the best decision for all parties - the club & the team has had a week to move on, maybe time this board did the same.

Reply #467658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #467652

You keep saying that the sacking was respectful, it was not for Paul! Are you delusional?

The CEO should have said there were irreconcilable differences between the club, coach and players.
That would be respectful to all parties.

Please stop bringing Ballarat into this you are being disrespectful.

PS The more you type does not mean you are more right...FACT

Reply #467680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Geelong SEABL women had a very good, high scoring, and entertaining win over a very good Knox unit. 11 geelong girls played minutes and Williamson was very effective in her minutes.

Reply #467684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It appears those with no idea of what goes on in the inner sanctum of ANY club have big mouths and most likely fat fingers, rather than speak crap, how bout gettin off your, likely big backsides and go watch a game instead, who knows, maybe then you'll be able to speak FACT, for a change.

Reply #467695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul O'Brien is a great coach, passionate, and you'll struggle to find anyone more dedicated to what he does.
Geelong's loss = some other lucky club's gain.

Reply #467697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- The club has made difficult decisions early in previous seasons to release players who weren't working out and it was best for the team to allow all parties move forward: FACT. Jason Reardon in 2010, Yusuf Qaafow 2 games into the 2012 season. If the issue was limited to 1 player why would they not take the same action again?

FALSE. Reardon left on his own behalf.

Reply #467698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know the price of petrol in London?

Exactly, respectfully, WHO CARES? Last weeks news. FACT

Reply #467700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true. The price of petrol in London is current news.
The price of it last week would be considered last week's news.

Total fail on that analogy attempt.

Reply #467703 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I wonder if our good folk at Knox are sitting back reading this thread and thinking, 'at least not us for once'?

Reply #467778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let Geelong play and let O'Brien look on to bigger and better things.

But in relation to those comments "inapporiate behaviour" the people who matter in this sport and his life wont have the massive question marks when it comes to O'Brien intergrity they know who he is and what he stands for. Its the people who are sitting back and snipping from the stands that are making ridiculous claims that need to have a good look at themselves.

Reply #467846 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree last weeks news...time to move on.Well done to the womens team on there win on the weekend.

Reply #467847 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754