Isaac
Years ago

Anstey: Sixers better without Ervin

"I think they (36ers) are a better team without Gary Ervin ... I was really hoping he'd get off.

"I was disappointed he got suspended because I think he hurts that team more than he helps them."
If that was the case, why report Ervin to the league and then allegedly submit a doctors report about Goulding's bruising and pain to strengthen the likely suspension?

Sounds to me like a bitter post-loss swipe to demoralise Gary and disrupt the team that beat/thrash/devastate you before their grand final series. Wahhhh wahhhh...

Topic #34109 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Take anything Anstey says with a pinch of salt....just like his players do!

Reply #466535 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah so true Isaac, the more I think about it, how could anyone really take Anstey's opinion as a valid one. What has be done to show his opinion should be respected from a coaching and scouting point of view. If he is so bad, dont report the incident.

On another note, is Worthington injured or just done? Looked woeful all series and is surely now considered a financial issue for the Tigers.

Reply #466537 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

They won by 39 without Ervin but agree it sounds like sour grapes to me.

Reply #466539 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

What a flog !

Reply #466540 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They won a big game 1 with Ervin notching 27, by 16... Anstey cant win either way with poor statements like that.

Reply #466545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is another case of pro sports apppointing someone for what they did as a player and "who they are" rather then their coaching ability.

There would be coaches in junior levels better equiped to do that job. Sure they may not garner the respect from players that he does because of his reputation but coaching 1 year of division 2 BIG V doesn`t prepare you for the national league. Shane Heal is just the same.

Lower levels in the state leagues require someone to do more of an apprenticeship then that.

Reply #466547 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Well that's a knee in the balls

Reply #466549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There would be coaches in junior levels better equiped to do that job.
Tell the Cotter-hater in the Kings thread about that...

Reply #466550 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's possible he didn't want to get Goulding offside by not pursuing the charge.

Reply #466556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that Adelaide are better without Ervin. Noone on this forum seems to be concerned about Joey Wright's comments in the media - pot kettle black.

Reply #466562 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I just assumed Anstey wanted a legitimate excuse for why he kept photos of Goulding's groin...

...and felt the need to show others.

Reply #466569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didnt the Tigers try to recruit Ervin and Gibson in the last off season?

Very much sour grapes, yes we covered for Ervin well, but he is a great player and has been mostly great for the 36ers imo.

Reply #466571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Tiger fan (by default) although this isn't a comment a head coach needs to or should make.

Isaac's points

"bitter post-loss swipe to demoralise Gary and disrupt the team that beat/thrash/devastate you before their grand final series. Wahhhh wahhhh..."

Are spot on.

Tigers did everything they could to get him suspended. Then to make those comments after they get thumped is just childish.

Reply #466577 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Definitely sour grapes but you can't deny some merit in the statement after winning by 16 & losing by 11 with Ervin and then winning by 39 without him.

Reply #466578 | Report this post

Years ago

trolling

Reply #466591 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Joey's media antics had a purpose that was effective...something good, savvy coaches do.

Whether you like or dislike Joey you have to appreciate his coaching capacity in all of its facets.

Reply #466599 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I agree about how wrong it is that ex-players are given NBL roles because of their playing experience over seasoned coaches in the lower levels. When I did my Lvl 1 coaching accreditation the teacher made the opening remarks that one of the reasons that Australia punches above it's weight in International Competition is because of the great coaches we have at Junior/Club level. Things could be better if many of these great coaches were appointed to professional roles.

Reply #466600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

alexkrad, difference between SF1 and SF2 was partly homecourt advantage. One difference between SF1 and SF3 was likely the crowd riding Goulding into the dirt and the Tigers not having much of a back-up plan. They put up 32 threes to our 16 even though they were shooting at 22%.

Also seemed like Wright made it a real focus to work inside early with guys like Johnson and Petrie who are agile and can get to the line.

Early the score was still close. With 6:30 left in the second, the margin was only 8 despite all the noise and action. Then Morrison got another, subbed out and was effectively a non-factor from there. It was then that the game started to blow out. Morrison had a gimme at the end to give him 3 points for the game.

Reply #466603 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

16 + -11 = +5

Do you seriously think booing Goulding but not Ervin playing was the difference between 5 points and 39?

Wright making the focus on bigs rather than guards is a direct reaction to Ervin not being available.

Reply #466621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it was primarily a reaction to going away from that in SF2 and it not working. The foul trouble and rattling Goulding set up the early lead and then it compounded from there. 39 points was the final margin but they were stitched up with foul difficulties far earlier when the margin was not that extreme.

Reply #466625 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Anstey - Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth !

Reply #466632 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I haven't seen enough of adelaide play to know whether his comments have merit or not. But i have read so many times on this forum from adelaide supporters that they believe the team functions better offensively when ervin is not playing.
Now that an 'outsider' makes the same comment its just "sour grapes".
I agree that anstey should not be making these comments and quite possibly be sour grapes but surely there must be some merit in what he is saying?

Reply #466633 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Just bumped into Al Green.

Quoted Anstey from above.

Was not impressed lol

Less so with Goulding :p

Reply #466636 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It was a good adjustment by Joey to refocus the Sixers attack through the big men. They lost their way a bit in game 2 with all the long shots.

I think Anstey was just throwing out the first thing that came into his head with regards to Ervin. Sure the Sixers can be good without him, but he has an important role on the team as a closer.

One of the main reasons Marty's teams lost so many close games was because Gibson and Cadee aren't go-to scorers at the end of games. Ervin is.

Reply #466639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So so so so one eyed. lol

Reply #466646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Beantown.

Reply #466647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Beantown summed it up perfectly too.

Reply #466649 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Reply #466662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's so much offensively that they are better without him (although the ball does move better), but defensively seemed to be the major beneficiary. Stupid comments though. He sounds like a sore loser.

Reply #466677 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Hopefully this will piss Ervin off and he will have 2 30+ point games to sweep Perth out of the championship :)

Reply #466756 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Only 10 minutes ago I read this on the NBL site. I was wondering if anyone had posted a thread on this site. If not, I would have started one and what I would have started with was exactly what Isaac said. Sour Grapes Anstey. No doubt Ervin has been hurt by the events of game 2 in Melbourne but even without him on court in game 3, he got his revenge.

Reply #466795 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

alexkrad, booing Goulding but not Ervin playing was definitely the difference between 5 points and 39? It is almost the same difference between Goulding's score in game 2 and game 3.

Reply #466799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754