mick
Years ago

is 36ers back page all week in the advertiser?

Is the club knocking crows/power off the back page?

If they aint now, they never will.

Topic #34203 | Report this topic

Ryan  
Years ago

They were front page today

Reply #468733 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the Crow-vertiser have got more AFL journos than Ennis had free throw shots last game. They have one NBL journo.

If they put a non-AFL story on the back page, what would those journos do?

Reply #468734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

He self promotes himself as an NBL journo

Reply #468742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Front page!

Reply #468745 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL. Just picked up the Crowie from the bottom of the driveway. OMG! Surprise, surprise!

On the back page was another AFL puff piece "Ready to Embrace Change" by Andrew Capel with a photo of CROW Daniel Talia. Apparently he believes the AFL is ready to embrace openly gay players. Does that mean the AFL currently has a redneck attitude to gay players?

So in 9 pages of sport, nearly half on AFL, 1 page NBL, 1 page golf. About a third of a page on women's sport, but more importantly a story on the LFL's new club - Adelaide Arsenal.

What is going on at the Crow-vertiser? Adelaide has a new LFL club and instead of putting this REAL news story on the back page with a photo of a dozen chickie babes in their revealing uniforms showing off their silicon implants, we get dished up a PR puff piece story complete with the cliche photograph taken waist height of a pensive AFL player looking skywards with the defunct AAMI stadium slowly rusting away in the background to try to show how the AFL is moving towards politically correctness. Mike Rann would be pleased with such a PR stunt.

Seriously, was that the biggest sports news story yesterday? An organisation is basically admitting it is homophobic, but willing to maybe change? This reminds me a little bit of Stripes when Bill Murray joins the Army. Army Recruiter: "Are you gay?" BM: "No, but I'm willing to learn"

Reply #468754 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

There's an LFL team coming to Adelaide?

Reply #468790 | Report this post

nailna3  
Years ago

rucci must be pulling his hair out. no football for a few days? and his beloved power might end up with the middle section

Reply #468794 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ricey, there is a God

Reply #468828 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Similar happens in Perth too. I don't think a day goes by without a Nic Naitanui puff piece. Or an "exclusive report" to the insights of a former player or coach...

Unfortunately, it's whatever sells papers, or gets TV viewers and AFL (even though I follow Freo myself and do like the game) gets the most attention.

This is the time of year that I get very irritated at the lack of news for the NBL. A grand final featuring the local team should be better supported by the media

Reply #468857 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Put it this way, Perth could win the NBL Grandfinal Friday night, then in Saturdays local paper they ... might get the backpage.. might not. And they may get another piece further in. It's extremely hard to cut through in the West Australian past the AFL stories.

It's a little disheartening, but no more than say listening to a sports talk radio show and finding the stories are 95 percent AFL and 3 percent Tiger Woods.

Reply #468860 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think you guys are wrong. The coverage in The West of the Wildcats has been great, plenty of backpage stories this season.

Reply #468861 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

The coverage has been good for the Wildcats, but when compared to the AFL, its nothing. At this time of the year for a Grand Final, there could be a bit more emphasis on the Wildcats.

Saying that though, Channel 10 Perth do a great job. 9 Has been OK, 7 terrible (apart from a Today Tonight piece) and Sunday Times pathetic.

The West has been solid, but I wouldn't expect anything less esp for a GF.

Reply #468864 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

To Wildcats fans above:

6 articles and a poster in The West the day after we won championship number 5 (I counted them just then). Why would it be different this time?

Reply #468901 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I know a lot of people seem to be very happy with the amount of coverage the Cats get generally. While its likely to be better than any other NBL club in their market, I actually don't think its that great to be honest given our fan base is very strong.

Don't forget, a lot of the front page special features the the Cats have put in the past are also paid for by the club, and is not neccesarily a good will gesture by the papers showing their support.

The coverage has been good I agree, but still a lot more can easily be written about this series. Obviously theres still plenty more coverage to come after G2 and possibly G3.

Reply #468905 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think what is most frustrating is the style of stories done on AFL. It's always a PR spin story instead of something with actual teeth.

7 news Adelaide are now reporting on the freaking amateur league football results. If there was space, perhaps the Auskick participation awards could be read out by Tony Modra.

Reply #468922 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Are you a Port Adelaide fan, Jack?

Reply #468927 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No, I barrack for most non-Vic teams equally. Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Freo, Brisbane, as well as anyone playing Collingwood of course. I had a soft spot for Carlton when a family member played there, but I find it hard to watch the AFL now as it is so sanitised.

Reply #468933 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That's not how I wanted you to answer. Can we try that again? Say yes this time.

Reply #468935 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Unfortunately, computer says no.....

Reply #468939 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I assume you barrack for either WCE or Freo?

I do like West Coast with big Cox in ruck. 277 games coming up so 300+ games a definite chance. Without Cox, the Eagles might struggle.

Reply #468941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One other thing that ensures there are lots of AFL stories in the west is that between the Eagles and Dockers, there is around 90 players to do stories on, plus coaches and all other staff. Many of which are more interesting than Wildcats players.
You have 10 Wildcats players and a couple of coaches to write about for the 7 month NBL season. Only so many times you can ask Ennis if he is excited to go to Miami at end of season..

Reply #468945 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fri 11th;

Front AND Back pages Baby!

Reply #468975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754