Rav
Years ago

Thon Maker impresses Boomers coach

Story Link:
http://m.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/thon-maker-impresses-boomers-coach-20140410-36eyw.html
---------------------------------------------------------------
They've already locked in Dante Exum, the teenager likened to a young Michael Jordan; now Australia's Boomers could add a Kevin Durant-style youngster to their ranks.

Thon Maker, a seven-foot-one 16-year-old centre, has been rated the No.1 second-year high school basketballer in the US and is hot property on the American college market.

Born in South Sudan, the teenager relocated to Australia as a five-year-old.
He spent his formative years Down Under before moving to Virginia to play for the Carlisle School in Martinsville.

So impressive are his ball-handling skills and mobility, Maker has garnered almost one million hits on a YouTube compilation video posted in February.
While he isn't due to graduate from high school until 2016, he's already received offers from powerhouse universities UCLA, Arizona, Georgetown, Miami, Virginia and interest from a host of others.

And Boomers coach Andrej Lemanis is hopeful he'll also represent Australia in years to come, joining the likes of point guard Exum who is expected to be selected in the top five of this year's NBA draft.

Lemanis met with Maker and his guardian Edward Smith last month as part of a global scouting mission.

"I had the opportunity to work him out and got to know him a little bit," Lemanis told AAP.

"He's a really nice kid, impressive in the workout and I think he's got a great future in the game.

"Obviously he's got good size, but what's evident when you start working him out is his agility for someone his height.

"His co-ordination, his ability to handle the ball, his shooting - he's kind of like a Kevin Durant, in that way.

"He's exciting in that he can be one of these versatile players with great size moving forward.

"To have a seven-foot-one kid who can move like him and play on the perimeter, I'm not sure that (Australia) have had that in the past."

While Maker is unavailable for Australia's under-17s world championships campaign in August due to other commitments, Lemanis is optimistic the young centre will, in time, pledge allegiance to the Boomers.

"We just had good discussions and he said he was excited about potentially playing for Australia," he said.

"I guess that's as much as it went.
"I always take people at their word and there's certainly every indication from him and Edward Smith that they're into the Boomers."

"I think we've got an exciting time right now with all sorts of kids coming through - with Dante Exum and Benny Simmons (son of Melbourne Tigers import Dave Simmons).

"We've got a crop of young kids whose fathers were out here as imports initially, and then stayed in Australia and formed their families here.
"So that gives us some different skills and athletic attributes than perhaps we had in the past.

"And now with the Sudanese kids and their development through the Australian system, I think that's another avenue that's very exciting for us and can help change the basketball landscape coming through."

Topic #34209 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Durant? Maybe Garnett would be the smarter comparison

Reply #468854 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Boomers coach Lemanis worked him out and unless he didn't know Garnett exist, then i believe him.

Reply #468867 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

I remember watching a Thon Maker clip from a year ago and he looked skilled but awkward. Just watched this youtube clip and he looks so polished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk

Reply #468889 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Good to see Lemanis trying to establish a Boomers connection with Thon..who knows what his priorities are

Still plenty of talent in Simmons, Exum and Jonah Bolden, who seems to go under the radar quite a bit, though that should change when he plays at UCLA.

Reply #468903 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I read somewhere that during his Sophomore (current) season he averaged a field goal shooting percentage in the low 40s, which suggests he's far from a finished product.

There's no doubt, however, that anyone 7'1" with his ball-handling, mobility and shooting mechanics has the potential to be very special.

Watch the mixtapes. Whether you liken him to Durant, Garnett or another player, he's an exciting prospect.

One would hope Andrej manages to convince Thon to be a part of Australia's national program, and of course doing so is in his best interests.

Reply #468904 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

More like anthony davis

Reply #468944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon would be a massive get.

With him, Exum and Simmons not to mention guys like Humphries, Bolden etc. we're going to have a very strong team in the future. Exciting times.

Reply #469054 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Has he stopped growing yet or could he grow another couple inches?

Reply #469233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is far from a Durant and I would not compare him to Garnett. If he pass the DOB forensic test his minder Smith would want his under the table fee. Sadly, It's another Ater Mojak situation.

Reply #470168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sense a Thon Maker comment from Australian parents on this twitter pic;

https://twitter.com/Eurohopes/status/456332523627229184/photo/1

Reply #470675 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

#470168 talking crap.

Reply #470677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754