Peter
Years ago

36ers front & back page of the Advertiser

There are full page photos of BJ and Gibbo on the front and back page of today's advertiser and a 2 page spread in the first page of the sport section!

I can't remember seeing this much exposure for basketball in the Advertiser for decades.

The game is sold out & there has also been a fair amount of exposure on TV & radio this week (as you would hope there is!).

Have heard plenty of players being interviewed, but Gibbo comes across very well in the media and promotes the club and sport well. He is obviously a good leader on and off the court and is someone kids can look up to.

Plenty of people who are not generally interested in basketball are excited and talking about the game so Adelaide is pumping & raring to go.

Hopefully the 36ers win tonight and take it to game 3 so this continues for a while yet.

Topic #34219 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Beyond this season, hopefully a good atmosphere tonight no matter the result encourages a pick-up in season ticket sales for 2014/15.

Reply #468995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't seen the West Australian yet but apparently wildcats got back and front too!

Reply #468996 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

I am in shock!

https://www.facebook.com/theadvertiser/photos/a.176602446946.125562.92701406946/10152056955126947/?type=1&theater

Reply #468998 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The West has them on the front but not on the back. They apparently couldn't resist the urge to make another "fragile (Darren) Glass" joke again.

Reply #468999 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Not a Crow in sight can't wait to to hear Jack Toft's view on this...

Reply #469008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats big photo on the front page of the west with the trophy, header on the back page with a photo of Ennis, article a couple of pages in from the front of the paper with Alan Black and then game preview on the second/third page of sport (depending on how you look at it).
Good effort from both teams in the print media!

Reply #469009 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

Hopefully Adelaide don't choke (and Perth don't bring their A game) and this can go to game 3.

Hoping this works out to be a classic series. Wish it was 5 games :(

My advice to Joey, pay attention to the matchups and NEVER EVER allow Ervin, Cadee, Gibson, Teys to be on the floor at the same time. Run the offense through DJ and get the bigs to own the glass. Leave the little league players for regular season :)

Reply #469012 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

RazzieMagoo,

Almost.......The Crow-vertiser wouldn't be the Crow-vertiser if it didn't do a Crows story. There was a little Crows story "Flag Dream Still Alive" that got slotted onto the back page, so not quite 100% NBL!

Reply #469015 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Expected this, it's worthy of it. C'mon 36ers!!

Reply #469018 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha 'flag dream still alive'. Please.

Reply #469020 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's an Adelaide Crows article.

Far more unlikely unfortunately.

Reply #469028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Crows fan but 0-3 with an average losing margin of 10 goals per game suggests a flag dream is to quote a philosophical scholar, "dead, buried & cremated".

Reply #469075 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

The Alan Black article was more talking about how he expected when they moved from their old place to the Perth Arena that the place might feel very empty and he was somewhat surprised that even more people turned up. It was also talking about the fact they have now been in 28 final campaigns straight.

Reply #469082 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

@Jack - LOL of cause they just had to squeeze one in. I thought it would have been - 'Pressure on government to act as unemployment hits 12-year high.'

Reply #469083 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

About time the 36ers were getting decent media coverage here in Adelaide. Boti has played almost a lone hand in this for a few years.

Crows? Who gives a rats backside about the bloody Crows? (One day the 'Tiser is going to realise that not everyone is a Crows, Power or even AFL fan).

Reply #469211 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Wait, there's other sports in The Advertiser besides AFL and cricket?!

Reply #469298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pathetic media in Australia especially with sports, it's such a closed shop

Reply #469333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 game series sucks...should be 5

Reply #469383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New NBL guys seem to know what's up so wouldn't be surprised if they change it back to five.

Reply #469408 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

A 5 game series might be considered too draining for the NBL and mainstream media, so I don't see it happening (not that they won't consider it in the future mind you)

Good coverage in The West. Back page story on the Game 2 loss. But I'm staggered at how poor the NBL is received by the national Sydney based morning news programs. Was flicking through all channels this morning and not a single mention of last nights game on either ABC 24, Weekend Sunrise or Today. Mind you, I only started watching from 8:30am but I doubt it got a mention as I saw the same highlights of every other sport on all channels.

They covered every other game played last night - AFL, NRL, the overrated A-League and GOLF! This is one of the NBL's biggest issues it needs to fix. It has to get back into the minds of the mainstream media again. It certainly deserves it. 8,200 tickets sold in 2 hours, plus 13,200 in Game 1 and another expected 13,000+ for Game 3 would suggest to me there is plenty of interest in the NBL. At least in Perth and Adelaide. You know, not everybody lives in Sydney, but you would never guess it watching the morning news.

Anon said it perfectly - Such a closed shop in Australian sport with the media.

Reply #469456 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I did see a little sports snippet on Weekend Sunrise about Adelaide tying up the series, but it only went for about 10 seconds and the "highlight" they showed was Wagstaff crashing into the cameraman.

Reply #469597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those morning shows are horrible and are for the ultimate sheep types so they naturally cater to the bandwagon mentality.

Reply #469847 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754