Craig
Years ago

Sino Australian Challenge vs China

Let's get the talk started guys,

Who do you want to see playing?

First of all I think Greg Hire has earned a Boomers call up for this minor tournament. It would also be great to see Damian Martin put on a Boomers jersey again. Would also love to see Knight, Gliddon and DJ. Obviously get as many young guys in as possible to get them use to the systems etc. I would also love to see Oscar Forman play as a spot up shooter to spread the floor.

We have a lot of options and depth for this tournament so it will be interesting to see who gets a spot on the team.

Thoughts, can't wait for this

Topic #34246 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who does Martins make up before games? Does he do it in the change rooms or at home?

Reply #469962 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Love Hire in the NBL but like Marto has proved before him I don't think their brand of game translates well to the FIBA arena...

Reply #469963 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Fair enough guys, I just think they deserve a shot but I know that there games don't really suit the more offensive FIBA games. I just reckon that they both could have a specific role and do it well for the Boomers.

Who else do you guys reckon deserves a go?

Reply #469972 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Rebounds translate into any comp

Reply #469987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't think their brand of game translates well to the FIBA arena..."

Wasn't Damo the captain of that Emus team that won the World Championship?

Reply #469998 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Anyway, who are some names that we could be seeing for the Boomers this tournament?

Reply #470000 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When and where is this? Other than the sideline advertising at Perth Arena today, which showed dates but not times or venues, I can find no mention of its existence.

Reply #470016 | Report this post

avv  
Years ago

http://www.venueswest.wa.gov.au/events/australian-boomers-vs-china-2014/

Reply #470021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage, Hire Wagstaffs game does not fit with FIBA officiating, NBA or Europe. They should try AFL...………. Hopefully NBL will retun to its word now that the Cats have got that one under their belt. We can get back to allowing all clubs to grow and the officiating we were promised that dropped 3/4 through the season. Please review the points and salary cap and be careful what you wish for with the NBA deal. It may backfire and clubs will fold………. Please let everyone know before they pick their roster, if you will hold true right to the very end with officiating as well or we will have a one team final series every year if this Perth team that is hugely stacked and loaded will will for the next decade. Team Owners are not going to pour money in to the smaller clubs if this is going to be the pattern…….

If you want to field great Sino and other international teams we need to develop an NBL that has a flow on to that. The DreamTeams of the US followed after the NBA adopted a different culture and the dominance on the international stage continues…… We should be looking towards adopting an NBA style tournament and officiating and penalties to clean up our game before it becomes the BasketAFL League. We will leak players as teams will have to overlook our talent and go for a Perth type Big right across the court as that will be the only way to have a shot at the Championship. There will be no place for guards, maybe 1.

Reply #470022 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well this is going to be an all NBL team plus maybe a few College guys one would imagine.

Damien Martin
Chris Goulding (if available)
Mark Worthington (but wouldn't have him for A team anymore)
Anthony Petrie
Daniel Johnson
Markovic
Ben Madgen
Cam Gliddon
AJ Ogilvy
Matty Knight
Adam Gibson
Todd Blanchfield

Thats my team. Only 2 or 3 would make my Boomers A team but should be adequate enough to get past China

Reply #470023 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Although only a minor tournament, being in a world cup year Lemanis will be taking this very seriously. It's a great opportunity to have a good look at some of the guys who are right on the fringe of going to Spain later this year.

For the most part, I agree with GWB above.

For the guards and wings, Martin will be in. You simply cannot exclude a four-time defensive player of the year who has proved time and time again his ability to guard all different types of players. Plus his outside shooting and playmaking have both improved significantly since he last wore the green and gold. Gibson will also be in as a carryover/veteran guy from previous campaigns. The Boomers are still looking for a back-up shooting guard, so it is likely that all three of Goulding, Madgen and Gliddon will play. Goulding would appear to now be the front runner of this group, and Lemanis will be looking to see if he has made the required defensive improvements that could make him part of the 'A' team in the future. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Anthony Drmic get a call up for a look at this spot as well. Hugh Greenwood would be another guard that if available I’m sure Lemanis would like to have a good look at. Mitch Creek is another guy that may be rewarded for the good form he showed towards the end of the season.

Matty Knight should finally get a look-in, along with Anthony Petrie, as we all know Lemanis loves to have that mobile four-man.

As for the other bigs, Bairstow will play, and probably Luke Nevill as well. DJ may get a look based on his scoring ability, but his rebounding and defence are not up to international standard and will hold him back. AJ Ogilvy should also be in the mix.

A couple of guys that are working through injuries may also be considered, though I’m not 100% sure where they are at - David Barlow and Nathan Jawai – given that they are both currently residing in Australia and don’t have any pro commitments.

Reply #470028 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I like your lineup GWB except Wortho should not be there, maybe Oscar Forman instead. Wortho is well past it both physically and mentally.

Reply #470029 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Wilson - I think the Boomers need to look past Wortho now. He's been a great servant to the national team for a long time, but I don't think he will be part of the future.

Forman is an interesting one. He is clearly elite in outside shooting, but I don't think you can take a player to the national team based on just one skill.

Reply #470031 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

The Sino Challenge should always be played with the best guys under 25 or something. Looking to get players who will be at the next olympics etc some experience. Wortho wont be giving much more to the program you would think.

Reply #470052 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I will go with my ideal line up for this tournament

Martin
Goulding
Hire
Knight
Ogilvy
Forman
Gliddon
Bairstow
Johnson
Greenwood
Lucas Walker (worth a crack)
Drmic

Something like that, perhaps a bit thin at the 1 and 3 spots but overall a decent line up. Perhaps Lehmanis and the coaching staff may look to replace Drmic with Adam Gibson for a combo guard and some experience.

Looks something like this
P.G Martin, Greenwood
S.G Goulding, Drmic (Gibson)
S.F Gliddon, Hire, Walker
P.F Johnson, Forman
C. Ogilvy, Knight, Bairstow

Not too bad for a random team of NBL and College players. Fairly versatile team with Gliddon playing anywhere from 1-3, DJ playing 4-5, Hire and Walker 3-4, Goulding can run some point as well. Bairstow and Knight can play 4 if they want to go big.

Thoughts again guys

Reply #470060 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think Worthington has been extroadinarily overrated the last few years, I didn't mind the guy from 2005-2010 but since he has kind of served no real purpose outside of bringing some hustle. We could get that from Anthony Petrie plus a whole lot of other great attributes. I agree... Jawai should play the series if here and healthy.

Reply #470061 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree with GWB about Jawai when healthy he is a good chance at making our A team and it be good to see him in boomers colours even if it's only Sino series.
A few younger guys who deserve a look are,
Cadee
Gliddon
Tomlinson
Drmic
Greenwood
Jois

Hard to pick a squad until we know who's available.

Reply #470063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will this be broadcast on free-to-air?

Reply #470119 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I doubt it would be it would be great but I wouldn't think so

Reply #470125 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was on Nine last year, IIRC.

Reply #470137 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I think that was in 2012. That was in the lead up to the Olympics so they may show this one on fta due to it being in the lead up to the World Champs

Reply #470139 | Report this post

avv  
Years ago

The abc has the rights to all Boomers games now and will try and broadcast overseas warm up matches leading into the world cup "where possible"...

Reply #470159 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cadee? No way, I'm sick of this guy being picked on his pedigree.

Reply #470164 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Stuff Cadee, he does some good things but there are better options

Reply #470169 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I think that was in 2012."
True, it was. Last year was at the WABC and Perth Arena, the Nine broadcasts I recalled were from Challenge, which would indeed make it 2012.

It was also on Fox both years.

Reply #470180 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Yeah, who do you fellas reckon will play in this team and push for selection at the worlds?

Reply #470201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it was definitely live on Fox Sports last year - still have them recorded on IQ ready for when I get around to watch!

Reply #470206 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

In answer to your question Craig this will be a B team with only a handful of players in the mix for Worlds team, alot will depend on availability of guys like Bairstow and Goulding.

Reply #470209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's BA's announcement about the Sino Australian Challenge:

The Australian Boomers will return to Perth in May for the 2014 Sino-Australia Challenge against Team China, with tickets on sale to the general public today.

This year's Sino-Australia Challenge takes on added importance, with the Boomers to compete at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain tipping off in late August.

International basketball returns to Challenge Stadium for the opening two games of the four-game series, tipping off on Thursday 29 May.

The Australian leg of the series will be completed om Saturday 31 May before heading to China for the final two games on Friday 6 June and Sunday 8 June.

Australian Boomers Head Coach Andrej Lemanis said the Sino-Australia Challenge is an exciting time for the program leading into the FIBA Basketball World Cup.

"The Sino-Australia Challenge is a fantastic opportunity for us to start the international campaign for 2014," Lemanis said.

“It allows players we have previously seen in the Boomers environment to show how much they have progressed over the past 12 months or for the new guys to show what they have to offer.

“With only 16 positions available for the World Cup selection camp in July, some tough decisions are going to have to be made - this series can help to provide some clarity moving forward.”

The Sino-Australia Challenge has become the launching pad for several Boomers players to emerge as regulars in the program.

University of New Mexico college star Cameron Bairstow and Adelaide 36ers forward Anthony Petrie enjoyed a successful 2013 series, forcing their way into the Boomers team for the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships.

This is the second year of the Sino-Australia Challenge following a four-year agreement reached between Basketball Australia and the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) with funding support from the Western Australian Government.

Tickets for the Sino-Australia Challenge go on sale to the public today at 12:00pm (WA time) through Ticketmaster.

2014 Sino-Australia Challenge – Australian Boomers v Team China

Game One
Thursday 29 May @ Challenge Stadium 8:30pm (local time)
Tickets: www.ticketmaster.com.au, call 136 100 and Ticketmaster outlets

Game Two
Saturday 31 May @ Challenge Stadium 6:30pm
Tickets: www.ticketmaster.com.au, call 136 100 and Ticketmaster outlets

Game Three
Friday 6 June @ TBC

Game Four
Sunday 8 June @ TBC

Reply #470319 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

A 16-man pre World Cup squad is interesting. A bit smaller than years past. Shows that Lemanis already has a pretty good idea who he wants in the team.

My 16 (assuming all available and all healthy) would be;

David Andersen
Cameron Bairstow
David Barlow
Aron Baynes
Andrew Bogut
Matthew Dellavedova
Dante Exum
Adam Gibson
Chris Goulding
Joe Ingles
Nathan Jawai
Aleks Maric
Damian Martin
Patty Mills
Brad Newley
Ben Simmons

Anthony Petrie last man cut.

Reply #470328 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bogut won't be playing in world cup so that potentially opens a spot for one of the the following D Johnson, Ogilvy or Nevill.
Imo I would take Petrie over Barlow.
Not sure about Simmons just yet.

Reply #470336 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bogut said recently he is 50/50 for the World Cup, so until he rules it out completely, his name needs to be included.

I think Barlow may be the beneficiary of a bigger role under Lemanis. All he needs to do to be valuable to the Boomers is play good defence, rebound and hit open threes.

Simmons is 6'10", 235 pounds, turns 18 in July, and along with Exum is the future of the team. In my opinion he can definitely contribute to this campaign as an 11th-12th man playing limited minutes.

Reply #470339 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ Vart I could be wrong I thought Bogut was only in for Rio. Good to see Worthington not in the list, I'm not knocking his past achievements but his time in green and gold has passed. Thought Drmic would get a look but we are deep in guard/wing positions.

Reply #470343 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Steven, Bogut said recently, "It's a 50-50 call at the moment. I'll make a decision at the end of the season, depending how deep we go in the playoffs and how my body feels. It's a matter of being smart personally. I've always said the Olympics in 2016 is my main goal, and everything between that is half and half for me."

As for Worthington, yeah I think his time at international level is finished. He has been a wonderful servant for the Boomers.

Drmic was borderline, but I think Goulding is ahead of him for that back-up shooting guard spot at the moment.

Reply #470361 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Worthington-done
Petrie-pass

Gibbo as an experienced head in a young line up

Reply #470424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ewwww Challenge Stadium thought we were over that craphole

Reply #470435 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Its a Boomers reserve squad, it just doesn't garner enough of a crowd to warrant the big Arena, and the State Basketball Centre is too small.

Reply #470438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes but that doesn't change the smell of the place, in certain areas it reeks of urine (particularly the southern end)

Reply #470442 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Haha, smell of urine lol

I just got my tickets to the games here and can't wait.

Hoping to see a couple of biggish names from both countries.

Let's just wait and see ( and keep discussing)

Reply #470732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding will be very, very interesting to see in an Australian Boomers singlet.

I would actually have Exum and Goulding as our bench backcourt at this years a World Cup.

Would love to see Humphries, Froling, Clark and White given an opportunity

Reply #470841 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Humphries, Froling, Clark and White will get their opportunity but not for about 5 years.

Reply #470843 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Yeah those boys are while away yet,

Can you guys name your #fullsquad

Reply #470855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754