Towga
Years ago

Norwood Easter Tournament

What has happened to this once great tournament?

It used to offer the best Victorian teams to play against. Looking through the program for this year I'd describe it as second rate if that. The best interstate teams are staying home and instead the lower Vic Championship teams are those turning up.

I notice the tournament now caters for a third division as well. This seems to be the way for the tournament to go in the future catering for low div teams just like Nunawading does.

The days of Norwood running a quality (in terms of basketball quality that is) Easter tournament are gone unless something is done. What can they do though?

Why have the top Vics stopped coming, and why are the other SA teams not interested? I heard that the reason Sturt don't play anymore is that with East Coast etc nowadays there is too much, but that only affects a very small percentage of the basketball population.

Topic #34251 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much going right for norwood these days. Hopefully with gliddon board now it might help them get ontrack.

Reply #470075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon?

Reply #470076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Neil is looking over their program to give Willie Jennette some guidance and direction. Norwood are at an all time low in terms of playing and coaching stocks so hopefully this will kick start them in the right direction.

Reply #470089 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

The reason, in my opinion, the high level Victorian teams don't bother coming across is because they only end up playing among themselves, with maybe one South Australian team competing in the same pool that they are in. Why travel to South Australia when the quality competition is in Victoria?

Reply #470097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So FUBR, why then are the other SA clubs not supporting it?

Reply #470101 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

Anon 101, I have absolutely no idea why the South Australian clubs would not support the Norwood tournament. Maybe it's because the parochialism or just piss poor relationships between the clubs in South Australia

Reply #470103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seems to be 161 teams in total playing of which only 58 come from SA.

Of the 58:

Norwood - 23
Forestville - 11
Southern Tigers - 10
West Adelaide - 6
Eastern - 3
Woodville - 2
Centrals - 2
North - 1
Sturt - 0
South - 0
Magic - 0

Seems there are a few clubs taking a stance against attending this tournament. Also can't understand Magic having no teams involved when they complain about playing in higher grades. Here is a chance to test yourself.

Norwood seem to have some bridges to rebuild

Reply #470105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Sturt has been a big loss. Vic teams seeing that had to have an impact.

Reply #470107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess now seeing the number of teams from Tigers would explain why I have to drive down there twice over Easter. What happened about using stadiums in closer proximity to the city???

Reply #470110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The simple answer to the above is that in return for Tigers entering some teams, games are scheduled at Morphett Vale. Norwood are desperate and will make all sorts of ridiculous promises to get teams to enter.

Also no Champs grade in u12 boys? What a farce this tournament has become. No wonder the Victorians stay home.

Reply #470111 | Report this post

Blues Choir Boy  
Years ago

Not keeping agreements with clubs would hurt anybody. One asks once again why Pasadena is being used. I am sure the bar and canteen will be quite happy to have regular turnover. One has to think a deal with Sturt is still in place, even with Sturt having no teams entered!
How long before Pasadena will be used for the Sturt Carnival?

Reply #470121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very poor effort sa clubs. Should be ashamed of yourselves!

Reply #470126 | Report this post

Years ago

kids need a break - for example a top level u14 may have to...

jan - eltham - or if country albury

march - if country sa country champs

april - easter

may - state champs

june - classics

then maybe (i.e. mavs u14g - play in club u14s)

something may have to give occasionally

Reply #470131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? If you don't offer a quality service why would other clubs support you? Why are Norwood constantly carrying on as if the clubs owe them something?

Reply #470132 | Report this post

Years ago

arent norwood promised a new stadium ? - in all fairness they have never got any bar or canteen takings from MARS - so maybe a better finance opportunities at campbelltown.

Reply #470133 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

When my brother played it, he played 1 team out of 5 from south australia, when that's the case, there's literally zero point going all that way.

Reply #470142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't at one stage Sturt want a kickback of sorts or be involved with the financial gains of the carnival before they would place Sturt teams in the tournament

Reply #470146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Sturt offered to help recruit new teams into the competition for a kickback. And heard that Norwood didn't, and still haven't responded.

You'd think that they would have been in constant contact even if they didn't want the help. No Sturt teams is clearly hurting the tournament.

Reply #470156 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

100% not true.

Reply #470193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really, enlighten me!!!

What's the deal then?

Reply #470200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ak-47, care to dispute this?

Sturt offered to come on board and help you guys run the tournament.

Your club said no. Sturt pulled their teams.

Nobody bothers coming anymore because Sturt are not there.

Facts don't lie.

Reply #470202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic teams not turning up has nothing to do with Norwood - Sturt blah blah. Seriously, nobody cares.

It's just about giving kids a break from playing and training all year round. The tournament falls at the perfect time to have a break, so people are.

Reply #470267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47 gone quiet.

The truth hurt?

Reply #470312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

267, not true. I know at least one major Vic club whose director of coaching said they would stop supporting the tournament if Sturt teams were not playing in it. The reason is that there are not enough SA teams who can challenge them and Sturt was always one of the only ones who can.

Victorian teams are not going to make the effort just to play Norwood, who are usually not any good anyway.

Reply #470317 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

317, ahhhh the sheer arrogance

is it any wonder you're the team we all love to hate?

Reply #470334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, nobody cares

Reply #470429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well tell them Sturt aren't the best team in every age and gender

Reply #470701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over yourself Sturt!

Reply #470717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact is that sturt is the deepest and strongest club overall by a mile. Especially in the boys. Pulling their 20 or so strong teams means the strong vic clubs wont come over. Therefore it will attract the local riff raff further demeaning the tournament.

Now they have a div 3 division. Those that built the elite easter classic and participated in it over do many yrs are disgusted with what has become almost as prestigious as the st clair or starplex tournaments. Absolute disgrace!

Well at least we get to have a quiet weekend this weekend, much to the kid's disgust.

Reply #470724 | Report this post

fjc  
Years ago

nice comments jerkoff.bitter horrible parent .

Reply #470727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. Just honest. Maybe you are living under a rock? Maybe you are avoiding the truth? Rhetorical questions only. Whatever it is, none of business.

Have a good weekend ;p

Reply #470728 | Report this post

fjc  
Years ago

none of business ??Obviously a great contributor with the paperwork at your club.Maybe walk away before you are lost.

Reply #470731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great recruiting pitch. fjc

Reply #470733 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

Seems that Sturt is the only club that has directed teams not to enter, but, also appears that other clubs bar a few have committed to the tournament as a club. The clubs need to support and not left to individual teams. Wouldn't it be great to have the equivalent to eltham or nunawarding here? Who cares how many divisions there are. If you don't want to support the Norwood tournament, try running your own and wait to see who turns up!
I'm not a Norwood person but thank you to those who have volunteered their time for those of us attending.

Reply #470734 | Report this post

fjc  
Years ago

not norwood.not recruiting jerkoff.Try the old ,look in the mirror ,and lets see who is doing the SA game any good.

Reply #470735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you will find South gave dine the same.

Reply #470736 | Report this post

fjc  
Years ago

anonymous ,walk away.so bitter,we don't need you or your kids trying to play ,then umpiring /coaching.Just go.

Reply #470737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FJC I think you will find the above posters are from different IPs/people. LOL.

Reply #470740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have encouraged teams to take the holidays off and spend the Easter Weekend off with their families. A 4 day long weekend only comes once a year and for many families with limited holidays, it is a perfect time to enjoy good weather before Winter sets in and celebrate Easter. Many families have Easter weekend traditions so along with the Christmas/New Year week it seems a good idea to give families this time off. One Sturt team has chosen to enter the Norwood Tournament so it is not forbidden, it is a relief for many to not feel obliged to give up Easter and they have taken the opportunity to not enter.

In relation to state champs it is not a bad thing to rest up before a big comp and allow bodies to heal and emotionally take some time out as you ramp up training for a big tournament. Recovery and relaxation is excellent medicine.

Sturt also has one big event as a club each year interstate which they consider better value in experience.

Reply #470772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going back to the prestige of the tournament issue: I am a div 1 coach from an Adelaide club, and I must admit, I have not entered my team with the intention of winning the carnival and picking up some silverware, it is strictly preparation for state champs and classics. I'm supposed more clubs/coaches aren't taking the same opertunity for state champs preparation with just 2 regular season rounds rounds between the school holidays and state champs.

Reply #470777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm also a Div 1 coach at another club and the simple answer to the above is it is too much basketball. I will not risk injury to my players so close to State Champs just for the chance to play in a meaningless tournament.

Reply #470780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a div one coach too and definitely giving the boys a break over Easter to enjoy their families and have fun.

We have two games in a couple weeks and also have training sessions prior to state champs so plenty of time to go through what needs to be done.

Also have scrimmages set up and believe this gives a good prep towards state champs.

Reply #470794 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Are they going to play with the shit T500 spadling????

What a joke BSA

Reply #470803 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

And after Easter we still don't have a full draw our for the Winter Season?

Reply #470804 | Report this post

blue 99  
Years ago

The volunteers and organizers have done a great job again, opening up the tournament to div 3 teams to let them play as well, more teams get to enjoy, also i have seen U20 teams play very fast games. very good to watch.

Reply #471089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt does have 1 team in 18's playing.

Reply #471090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #471091 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Has been a great tourney so far - so stop your whinging. Great atmosphere and most importantly, the kids are enjoying it. Sometimes you need to take a step back and remind yourselves what it's all about - the kids, NOT your egos.

Reply #471092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just Sturt knockers jealous be bitches

Reply #471098 | Report this post

Vic parent  
Years ago

The kids loved the weekend of basketball, they didn't just play basketball but loved it socially as well. Tourney was well run and stadiums were good. Trip to tigers took a while but we organised around it. Remember it is about the kids

Reply #471163 | Report this post

Vic parent  
Years ago

The kids loved the weekend of basketball, they didn't just play basketball but loved it socially as well. Tourney was well run and stadiums were good. Trip to tigers took a while but we organised around it. Remember it is about the kids

Reply #471164 | Report this post

flamer  
Years ago

I see the guns have fallen silent.
Tourney must have been ok!

Reply #471205 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Vic parent, I expect the GPS nav units would have loved the southern expressway and the Reynella intersection

Reply #471208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually flamer, it was not. I know of one Vic team whose coaching director has let it be known that he won't be bringing his club back here to play 80% Vic teams again.

Reply #471209 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

WA teams played when we were involved.

Reply #471212 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

The State body should always be involved in ways to improve the weaker Associations, for the simple promotion of the sport if nothing else. Running a Carnival can benefit all. From what I've seen, BB NSW are leaders in this way. BB QLD divided very badly.

Reply #471213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would have been good to have a BBQ at Morphett vale stadium, nothing better than a snag on a Saturday, pretty poor really

Reply #471217 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

out of interest 217 have you ever volunteered to man the bbq at your Club..?

easy to take shots from here when volunteers are required ...few and far between these days

Reply #471219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

217, if that's what you can find to whinge about then you must have had a fantastic tournament. Cry me a river.

Reply #471220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow bit touchy cat!!

Reply #471254 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

as I suspected

no ,you haven't ever volunteered to help your Club BBQ

just complain when other people don't

Reply #471257 | Report this post

triton18  
Years ago

I thought the tournament was well organised and ran smoothly. The only issue our club has is the low standard of refereeing. I'm not interested in starting a debate or hearing whinge stories about how referees cost you a game, because that's not our concern.

The fact is that the Victorian referees on the whole did an outstanding job but their SA colleagues are lagging sadly behind. Many of the referees seemed like they were refereeing above the grade they are capable of. The supervisors, or whatever you call them also seemed more interested in laughing and joking with the refs than actually teaching them.

This is the only disappointing aspect of what was otherwise a great weekend.

Reply #471260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cat you sound like a hero!!

those that talk about how good they are usually arent that good

Reply #471273 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

when did I actually say how good I was?

Reply #471278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious as to whether this is a BSA sanctioned tournament and if so how can players from a district bball club play for a different district club at this tournament

Reply #471282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am curious as to whether this is a BSA sanctioned tournament and if so how can players from a district bball club play for a different district club at this tournament

Reply #471283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

282, whether or not it is BSA sanctioned has nothing to do with it. It seems you are wanting to take a pot shot at Norwood. Players playing for other clubs happens at lots of tournaments, including at Eltham. It's not a qualifying tournament for anything and there's nothing to be gained, so why not?

Reply #471284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably taking pot shots at the sturt kids playing for the tigers

Reply #471286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see any. Were they playing for GTM? Just because Rashad is the coach does not make them Southern Tigers.

Reply #471288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No for Norwood

Reply #471289 | Report this post

Social teams entered who were a combo of players

Reply #471290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

289, what grade? Are you sure?

No big deal anyway. I know of a Norwood player who played for another club at Eltham last year.

Reply #471292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont see any problem with social teams having players from various clubs in low calibre tourneys like this one.

Reply #471294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat what have you volunteered for

Reply #471306 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

just about everything 306

about 15 hours a week

and still idiots take pot shots at Clubs if volunteers aren't visible when they happen to be visiting

get over yourself and get those tongs in your hand

Reply #471317 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

VJBL refs were excellent. The SA refs at our games weren't that bad either, but the Vic refs were a fair bit better. Took a while for our kids to get used to the VJBL refs but once they did the games opened up. A good benchmark for our refs to measure against.

Reply #471321 | Report this post

SAheapsgood  
Years ago

A big congrats to Norwood for organising a very enjoyable carnival. We followed three age groups around and found a wonderful atmosphere where ever we went. The opportunity for refs to be exposed to bigger games and other refs can only help them and the game! Also, in a pool of 5 to 6 teams, it is to be expected that you may play teams from local comp, but opportunities to play some interstate games still happen. I also would like to say that at the presentation I was at, the Norwood official spoke very well and made both teams feel like they are what it is all about - kids playing good ball! We'll done Norwood and thank you.

Reply #471332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 hours

Hero

Reply #471334 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

troll..

fancy caning Tigers for poor form that no BBQ was running for you at the tourney

get a life

Reply #471366 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Hi all, probably the wrong time of year to be asking but I'm wondering if any changes to this tournament are on the cards...a lot of Melbourne coaches are hopeful of a revamp of this tournament and the inclusion of all Adelaide clubs. As it stands I would suggest many of the Melbourne clubs will drop off for good if improvements are not made this year.

I'm from Melbourne and keen to return to Adelaide next Easter after a few years as I have fond memories from a few years back.

Reply #645939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754