Luke
Years ago

NBL Youth League and Draft

Do you guys reckon maybe in a couple years time after the expansion the NBL could introduce a Youth League for under 20's and a NBL Draft?

Topic #34275 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

No. There is no need for an NBL draft the idea doesn't make sense its not like we have a constant influx of young players looking for teams like the NBA does. Case in point there was only 1 productive rookie this year, and only 5 or 6 came into the league at all. A pointless gesture. As for a Junior League.. again, no point. Most of our prospects will either sign to college or sign straight to an NBL or SEABL team.

Reply #470715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, Luke there is just no money or incentive for such a league!

Reply #470720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A brilliant idea. It should be somehow integrated with unis. Imagine developing a college like national basketball league with unis. Instant fanbase, uni sponors uni alumni that run companies ssponsoring. Yes many will go os. However some will want to stay. Keep it amatuer like in usa to keep costs down. No player payments and it wouldnt cost much.

Reply #470729 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

yeah i reckon that would be a great idea with UNI's we have enough!

Reply #470760 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Help me understand which of the rookies was the only 1 that was productive. Was it Jervis, Teys, Norton, Te Rangi or Cody Ellis?

Reply #470769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think YOLO got his Mitch's mixed up and meant Young, not Norton as Norton has played 60 career games

Reply #470797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the idea. Regionalise areas in each city and have a AFL/TAC cup format nationwide. Link each region to a University in that region, and have them play over the summer, at the same time as the NBL. 23 & Under Competition. Perhaps a 18 team comp ?
4 x Vic
4 x NSW
3 x QLD
2 x SA
2 x WA
1 x TAS
1 x NT
1 x ACT

Reply #470826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or that all of those guys are pretty much over 23 years old and are hardly rookies.

Reply #470827 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

thanks for the correction and

^ Age has nothing to do with being a rookie

Reply #470830 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Get used to rookies being 23+ as many players are coming to the NBL after NCAA ball.
This is one reason why I don't think an under 23 comp will work here.

Reply #470831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to mention travel costs.

Reply #470834 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd just love to see more young guys get big minutes, period.

Every team in this league is in such a huff to "win it all" every year that it comes at the cost of developing young talent.

Having a draft does have the downside of incentivising losing, but having NO draft has the downside of incentivising short-term wins over long-term player development.

There needs to be a balance.

Reply #470854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't win in this league, chances are you lose a lot of money and therefore your job as coach.

Nothing can incentivice winning here.

No one can pay for an u23 league. Especially the associated travel costs.

Reply #470857 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Expansion is the best chance of seeing more under 23 players in the NBL

Reply #470858 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yep, as Steven said. More teams, more space for young guys to shine. With 8 teams, it's just impossible for young guys to crack a rotation.

Reply #470873 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

Old heads talking at the top of this blog.....Must love the recycling and overpaying of old players around the league….I guess we are not paying any attention to the AFL system - also mentioned in Blog….

Drafting a player does not mean you have to give him a roster spot….simply means you are contracting him to your club….if you get a good player he plays you win, if he is not good enough just yet he plays in development league and you pay him to play there.

"NOT ENOUGH MONEY" i hear you screaming - well perhaps clubs should stop paying old worn down players as much as they are….

Competition for jobs creates hunger drive and pushes players to get better every year earning their spot, thus making the league stronger - Best players get jobs. No young healthy competition - No top talented imports - Overpaying average players - creates comfort on rosters and you get what you see in the NBL today.

Reply #471605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754