Isaac
Years ago

Derek Rucker planning a comeback at 47

Whether the results are as good as when he tore up the NBL as one of it's most dynamic scorers for 15 seasons is another thing.

But at 47, and not having touched a basketball for several years, Derek Rucker, is eyeing off the challenge of making a one-off playing comeback for the Gladstone Port City Power against Mackay on May 23.
"I don't think I will embarrass myself although the possibility definitely exists." Rucker told APN during exclusive interview today.
Full article

Topic #34402 | Report this topic

Young Gun  
Years ago

Any word why he's in Australia? I thought he had a successful business in California. I reckon he'll be alright at QBL level. I hope he plays a few more times for Gladstone when I move up that way in July :) Rucker was initially the reason I started following bball.

Reply #473232 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Makes you wonder why???

Reply #473253 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Video here:

http://www.tweeddailynews.com.au/news/rucker-powers-up-for-return-to-court/2250634/

Seems that he's out here on holidays & is playing for the love of the game. Linked with Gladstone because he was up there visiting ex-Bullet Blair Smith who helped coax him into it.

Reply #473272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just for one game! Let's not get too carried away.

Reply #473296 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Litsened to his interview. Trying to give something back to the game and to promote some clinics hes doing up there.Might have to get an ambulance out the front as the mind is willing but im not sure about his hamstrings and calfs....

Reply #473301 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I ran into him at a pub in Sydney and he wasn't drinking. I think he's serious.

Reply #473303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

52 year old butch hays is planning in the Waratah Championship league for the Maitland Mustangs

see link.

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/2257964/mustangs-rule-at-home/?cs=172

Reply #473316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That bloke called Homicide played in the seabl didn't he. A bust.
Webster is a quality player and person good luck to him for his one game.

Reply #473353 | Report this post

Today  
Years ago

Who cares? Seriously? Why is this gimmick even a conversation down here?

Reply #473366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be getting paid handsomely by one of Gladstone's cashed up sponsors.

No successful business overseas. Tried his hand at sports tours but that was a fail. No idea if/how he earns a salary these days.

Reply #473368 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Says a lot about the standard of the QBL as well.

Reply #473426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He finished with five points on two of nine shooting.

Rucker was not concerned with the performance or the eventual result, but was just happy to make it through and see such a good response from Gladstone.

"It is the only game in my life it was secondary or tertiary to me and not result-oriented," he said of the score line.

"I am smiling and that is the main thing."
Lost by 32.

Reply #476163 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754