Sharod
Years ago

Wellington ANBL bid remain positive

Really look forward to a successful bid of a 2nd NZ team in the league, just wondering will it better to go for south island region rather than southern region of north island. Perhaps a 3rd NZ team for south island in the future, and I think the talent pool in NZ should be able to fill one more team at least in 2 or 3 years time including the guys return from US and the ones nurturing local.

Another question is whether Shane Heal a better candidate for coach of this 2nd NZ team?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10030324/Wellington-Saints-in-the-mix-for-Australian-NBL

Topic #34428 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think that definitely in the future they could have both Christchurch and wellington in the league. Would be awesome.

plus 2nd melbourne, 2nd sydney, brisbane, tasmania. looking reasonable for expansion in the future.

Reply #473761 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

We're going over the top when mentioning a 2nd Sydney team.

Crazy idea: focus on retaining the existing clubs given the struggles at Wollongong and Townsville, then turn our attention to expanding the NBL to Eastern Melbourne, Wellington, and possibly Brisbane.

Reply #473762 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think a strong direction is needed and a strong business case. There was something in the Crowvertiser regarding AD's reign and over that time the attendances to games has been static at 33,000/game (ave), yet the revenues have doubled.

The AFL income streams have increased off the oval and I think if the NBL focus on increasing the off court income streams so that the league in general can support smaller clubs, then the league will be in a better place.

For the NBL to be considered an Australasian league, we need another team (at least) from our friends across the ditch.

Reply #473763 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Playmaker,

The problem is that Wollongong and Townsville could be gone at any minute (and there wouldn't be anything the NBL could do about it..if the fans don't show up the fans don't show up).

And then if you lose those teams the whole comp would fall over because you can't have a 6 team pro league IMO.

We need to move forward and can't afford the weak links dragging the chain.

Reply #473772 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Definitely no second Sydney team. Sydney has always had a bad culture for attending most sports. Hopefully the Brisbane bid can get moving soon and be accepted when the time comes.

Reply #473795 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

MACDUB, I do understand your point with regards to a 6 team league damaging the NBL's brand, but if Townsville and Wollongong could fold at any moment (based on hoops posts and articles this is true), this is an unacceptable situation. Conceding that fans don't "show up" for reasons beyond the clubs and the league is equally unacceptable.

Having existing clubs fold damages the league as a whole, similarly to the NBL's brand.

It's not as if Adelaide's in a sustainable financial position either, from what I understand. Moreover, if Townsville and Wollongong are the league's "weak links", then what would under-financed expansion teams be classified as?

My point is not to rush into expansion when there are solvable problems (IMO) with the NBL's current structure.

Reply #473796 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the NBL's view is the current structure isn't sustainable and they need more teams to generate more league revenue that can be distributed to teams to help make them sustainable.

Reply #473798 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

8 teams is not enough and if NZ can support a 2nd team it is wonderful for the league.

Just wish Brisbane would get there funk on and get the Bullets back - do Rucker and Loggins have kids?

Reply #473801 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ could support 2 but I don't believe a South Island team would be feasible in the long term

Reply #473832 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Doomsday Double, Sunshine Swing ... Kiwi Calamity?

Reply #473834 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

Talking about the smaller clubs sustainability, I am always wondering if a relegate approach would cope with this situation. Look at those European leagues all around and it seems they can maintain the league size for most of them. But that could be due to basketball popularity is generally high in those Euro countries, even smaller clubs would attract fans although they have small venues with only 1 or 2k seats. Perhaps need more work to do with social promotion and advertisement for the sport in both Aussie and NZ.

Reply #473889 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think with four centres to share games between a South Island team is definitely worth investigating down the track if/when the league's position strengthens.

Reply #473898 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"I think with four centres to share games between a South Island team is definitely worth investigating down the track if/when the league's position strengthens."

I think if Wellington shared some games with those centres it would work but I don't think they could support their own team week in week out.
All those Centres are Rugby Union strongholds without big populations.

Reply #473973 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Any chance New Zealanders can refer to the "ANBL" as the NBL in the future? Yes I know there is already an NBL league in NZ which is why they refer to our NBL as ANBL. Its only minor, but it annoys me, and with the possibility of a Wellington team coming in, its only going to get worse :)

Who cares if there is confusion - the NZ NBL runs in the "ANBL" off season anyway, and is a lower tier league.

Reply #474017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mystro, I think the plan is for Wellington to play around the lower North Island, where there are a number of venues that fit what the NBL is looking for.

Reply #474034 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I reckon when Wellington get accepted into the NBL, we won't have much worries about them financially and for that reason more than any other; I see them being a positive fur the league in much the same way as the Breakers have been (even considering their early days)

Reply #474088 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754