Isaac
Years ago

Wollongong to again spend about $700k

It's common knowledge around the league that Wollongong annually spend about $300,000 under the salary cap.

That won't change in 2014-15.
McLeod:
"We saw the interest that [Perth import James] Ennis brought to the league last year, so if you can bring in high quality players like that, it does add interest.

"But it's really not going to concern us because we're not going to be able to go down the marquee player route. We don't spend the cap as it is."
Full article

Topic #34438 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

And yet they finished higher than NZ who spent the whole cap

Reply #473928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope for the hawks sake they can keep Clarke

Reply #473941 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can't win championships every year, Mystro!

Where'd you get that damn bomb from anyway?!

Reply #473942 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Hawks prove every year that price doesnt equate to talent. What this philosophy doesn't do is put fans in the stands.

Reply #473943 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

A couple of nice imports running around in SEABL that might attract some interest. Booker and DQ to name a few.

Reply #473945 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They always seem to get imports that suit the system and league and play really well.

For a team that pays so far under the cap they really manage to put together a tough line up every year.

Reply #473947 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The Hawks are good because of Gordie

Reply #473950 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After the strong crowds two years ago it is hard to understand what happened last season. Hopefully they can get back on track.

Reply #473951 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The keys for them are coaching and having a solid core of role players who come back every year but arent asked to do too much.

Reply #473957 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think there were some pricing issues that hurt them last year so if they can land on the right price point they should be in good shape.

Reply #473958 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Having those role players on good contracts is the other key. Guys of less quality are drastically overpaid at other clubs, even the other community clubs.

Reply #473959 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be interesting to try and breakdown the salaries as there is not much wriggle room out of $700k.

Reply #473964 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Where'd you get that damn bomb from anyway?!"

? you mean my Cadillac ?

Reply #473971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They always seem to get imports that suit the system and league and play really well.
Like Catron? And Glover? Or Monroe or whoever it was. Some years they get lucky and do well. Others they don't and, err, don't. Not really a lot of room to make adjustments if the picks are wrong or someone goes down.

Reply #473978 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, you named one year out of the past five, that is enough to back up the case you were presenting against.

Mystro, it was just a little snippet that Seinfeld fans would enjoy, from a segment where "The Mystro" was involved. I couldn't help myself, don't know why it's taken this long!!

Reply #473992 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They dont have to spend the cap and do pretty well, but jesus would it kill them to spend the extra and and have a genuine chance at winning it as opposed to losing in the semis and over achieving!

Reply #473994 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Give them a break.
They'd spend it if they had it.
Any good tips where it might come from?

Reply #473996 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"but jesus would it kill them to spend the extra"

Yes, it would.

Reply #474003 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

The only imports that Gordie can lay claim to being successful is Ervin and Clarke.
If Gordie has coached for 5 years that is a 20% success rate.

Reply #474014 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I hope Geordie gets a shot with a cashed up team before he ends his career.

Reply #474031 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Anyone know what the salary is for the starting 5? around 80K?

Reply #474032 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McKee, Ervin, Deleon, Clarke and Tiggs were all very good imports, Gruber and Hurdle both did exactly what they were brought in to do. So I have it at five very successful, two successful and three failures.

I think most teams would be happy with that, let alone the club with the smallest budget.

Reply #474033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So clearly Gordie won't be coaching the Kings.

Reply #474039 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

paul... i think its "balm"

Reply #474043 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Could a marquee players wage be payed by a 3rd party?

Reply #474058 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754