Isaac
Years ago

WCF series: Spurs vs Thunder

Spurs cruised through the Blazers despite an injury concern last game to Tony Parker. Thunder found it harder going against the Clippers and appear to have lost Serge Ibaka for the rest of the play-offs. I think Ibaka will be hard to replace; the Thunder have Steve Adams and Nick Collison who are serviceable, but I'd say Ibaka is a bigger piece of their puzzle than many realise.

ESPN are largely going with the Spurs in this one, though three writers have backed the Thunder in 6. Thunder got them 4-0 in the regular season but then the Nets went 4-0 against the Heat and that meant nothing once the play-offs started.

Predictions?

Topic #34474 | Report this topic

m  
Years ago

OKC has been an average defensive team so far in the playoffs IMO. Playing without possibly their best defensive player against undoubtably the best offence in the league ATM, I expect spurs to win in 5 (maybe 6 if Durant and Westbrook have one monster game).

Reply #474642 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

OKC 4-2

Reply #474644 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Spurs in 7.
Heat in 6.

Reply #474647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs in 6

Reply #474671 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Fair comment about Ibaka, they will miss his presence for sure, but let's face it OKC are more of a two man band than the Spurs and someone will have to step up each game if the Spurs can hold either Westbrooke or Durant.

Spurs reply on their regular stars, however spread the responsibility better IMO and should win the series, but I expect OKC to win at least 2 games.

It could come down to Patty and how many times he accelerates into 'Beast Mode' really... :]

Reply #474736 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Adam's is only getting better and Collison is reliable.
OKC in 6.

Reply #474742 | Report this post

Clips  
Years ago

Spurs will be right in 6

Reply #474747 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ibaka is their best/key defender and their third option on D. That's a lot to replace, and I dont think scott brooks is good enough to remedy that. Even with ibaka its a seven game coin flip for me and id be leaning towards the spurs.

They wouldnt have got past the clippers if it wasnt for ibaka destroying griffins soul.

Spurs in 6.

Reply #475003 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

3rd option on offense*

Reply #475004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The key will be Patty. In the games he has performed the Spurs have won in the playoffs. Patty will be the xfactor.

Reply #475011 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Reggie Jackson will hopefully once again step up offensively against the Spurs as he did in the regular season.

Reply #475022 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spurs have started impressively.

Reply #475025 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That spin move by Leonard was just spectacular!

Reply #475075 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am just worried that if this Thunder team lose, that will be it. Brooks will be gone. And it will crumble. But, I urge Presti and everyone concerned to keep them together. Please! For the love of the game. There is no shame in losing to a team like the Spurs, who have been the best team since the turn of the century.

On another note, I may sound like I am whinging a little bit. But the Heat seem very fortunate when it comes to injuries (yes Wade is injured, but at least he can still play). This is the second year in a row the Thunder have been robbed after scumbag Beverley took out Westbrook.

Just frustrating. You get a team primed to win 2 years in a row. And both years injuries hold you back.

Reply #475079 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice to see two Kiwi's going head to head in the final minutes there...

Baynes v Adams!

:]

Reply #475083 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Brooks is terrible. Re-pick: Spurs in 5.

Reply #475086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heat would beat an uninjured Thunder anyway

Reply #475090 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

but have to get past the Pacers first.

Reply #475100 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Spurs in 6, if that but wont be Brooks fault. Ibaka is a massive loss in many ways for the Thunder. Too much pressure now on KD and Westbrook to do literally everything now. Serge can make the long 2 and defensively is a beast, so that loss clogs up the offense and makes penetration against them much easier. Brooks cant cover that loss no coach can.

Reply #475101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #475104 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

There was one play in the third quarter where KD totally screwed the tempo of the Thunder offence.

They were running and taking quick shots, and Westbrook was killing it, then Durant decided it was his turn to score some points and didn't share with Russ. He missed a three pointer on that exact possession I think it was and they didn't score for another four minutes straight.

They started the third quarter with the right offensive mindset, but I think KD single-handedly stopped it.

Mick, it's not the coaches fault that his best defender is out for the season. He came out of the locker room with a game-winning plan and they didn't execute it on the floor.

Reply #475112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes was solid

Reply #475119 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's a massive loss on the offensive end as well, that can't really be understated.

I guess a lot of it falls back on management too: they skimp on the roster and then when one guy goes down you're screwed. You're going to end up wasting the prime of Russ & KD with no titles to show for it.

Reply #475121 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, it clearly shows the usual NBA three step doesn't it? Never mind, awseome!!

Reply #475125 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah unfortunately, regardless of the injury, Brooks will still get blamed no matter what.

Its the nature of the NBA.

Reply #475127 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Bear: I can only count two steps in that GIF...

So hard to do.

A lot of the times you can get away with planting an extra foot there in the NBA but Leonard doesn't.

Such a tough move.

Reply #475162 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Bear,

I will take the bait. To clear it up Kyrie Irving is almost more an Australian than Baynes is a New Zealander. Aron was born in New Zealand to New Zealand parents but moved to Australia when he was a baby. He considers himself Australian but obviously has close ties to New Zealand. Just because we claim any successful New Zealander as an Aussie doesn't mean NZ should do the same. He plays for Australia (End of Story)

Reply #475214 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

AussiePride

I am a proud Aussie, but I have no problem with NZers claiming an interest in Baynes.

Baynes has dual citizenship, right? That is the end of the story.

Reply #475264 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Baynes is an Aussie.

Reply #475305 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Baynes is an Aussie just as Irving is an American. It as interesting to hear the commentators refers to Adams v Baynes as a kiwi match up.

Reply #475306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754