Isaac
Years ago

Thon Maker shows interest in Boomers

It was feared Maker would opt not to play for Australia, but over the weekend his guardian, Ed Smith, said the player often described as a young Kevin Durant was keen "to become more involved with the Australian junior and senior national program".

Boomers head coach Andrej Lemanis visited Maker in Virginia earlier this year and made an impression.

"Playing in the under-19 world championships is something that is important to Thon," Smith told SportsNet New York.

"To begin forming a relationship with and an understanding of the Australian system is important."
Full article

Topic #34543 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

When are the next under 19 world cup?

Reply #476223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 but they have Oceania in no this year

Reply #476229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Isaac

The original source (which SBS didn't credit) for the article is from who else but Zagsblog.

Its Great to hear

http://zagsblog.com/articles/thon-maker-weighing-reclassifying-to-class-of-2015/

"I will monitor Thon's progress academically and physically," Smith told SNY.tv. “Thon would also like to become more involved with the Australian Junior and Senior National program under coach [Andrej] Lemanis. Playing in the U19 World Championships is something that is important to Thon.

“To begin forming a relationship with and an understanding of the Australian system is important. We will try to structure our progression with this in mind. This is all part of our decision to reclassify or not.”

The next U19 World Championship is slated for the summer of 2015 in Greece, but Maker needs to make a certain amount of training camps in order to be able to play.

Reply #476230 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Future for Boomers is the brightest ever. 2016/18 is the medal times I think. or even sooner.

Reply #476235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yawn. BA shouldn't have to bend over backwards just to get this guy to commit to Australia. We should be looking for national team players who are passionate and are desperate to play for this great country. Ridiculous that BA are chasing after 16/17 year olds.

Reply #476244 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

What 16/17 year olds that have unbelievable potential anon? This guy is legit and AUS should do all they can to secure his services! Best news I've heard in a while.

Reply #476250 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

There is always a hater lurking around (anon #244 ) I think it's great news and the boomers chances of getting a medal in 2016 and beyond increase with Maker.
Put him in a squad with Delly,Mills,Exum,Baynes,Ingles,Bogut and many more great time for Aust basketball

Reply #476253 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

yeah its the delly , exum , simmons , bairstow, drmic group that im excited about. adding in a thon maker if he can reach such heights as thought would be great though!!!

Reply #476255 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Foxsports Australia has also ran with the below news story.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/basketball/dante-exum-and-216cm-thon-maker-headline-exciting-new-era-for-australian-basketball/story-e6frf3f3-1226933145806

I thought it was interesting to read that Maker is considering reclassifying to class of 2015, making him eligible for the 2016 NBA draft.

Comments Below:
"But in recent days reports in the US have him joining Simmons in the 2016 class, giving Australia potential one-two selections"

If Simmons & Maker live up to the Hype,
Australia could have 2 players taken in the top 10 in the 2016 NBA draft.

Reply #476257 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Watch this space and note - Deng Adel will explode onto the scene and he will be up there with the Exums, Simmons, Makers and Boldens. He is the best young player I have seen play the game!

Reply #476263 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Rav that would be amazing, pick 1 and 2 from Australia, i think ill have to throw a draft party if thats the case.

Reply #476264 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous: That is the stupidest thing I have ever read, do you even know who Thon Maker is? He is projected as a future franchise player! I would break my back to get Thon in the future more then Andrew Bogut now.

Thon Maker COULD become an absolute game changer. They absolutely should do what they are doing... if anything they should have done it even sooner.

Reply #476268 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Does anyone know much about Mangok Mathiang? or Deng Adel?

Reply #476271 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

7ft tall and shoots ~28% against 6ft 2 centers..

Sorry but I'm calling bust.

Mixtape hype!

Reply #476274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ agreed.

Reply #476276 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Some_Fulla where are you getting that stat from? and if thats so why do NBA types rate him so highly?

Reply #476286 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I have read in multiple places that he is only shooting 40% ... the dude above has said he is shooting 28% against 6'2'' centres.

So had a look at his actual stats - he is shooting 28% from 3 (probably should stop that) and 54% from 2 - that is 48% from the field and 78% from the line. Last year as a freshman he shot 29% from 3 and 69% from 2.

So that is not this 40% and 28% that people are talking about. He is young and full of potential - why would we not be all over him. Could be the newer better golden age of Aussie ball.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/thon-maker/by74QPTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Reply #476293 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Mangok Mathiang only just finished his freshman year, so he still has 3 years left of development under a very good coach.
It's a bit early to be calling him a bust - Cameron Bairstow numbers weren't great his freshman, sophomore & Junior year, then he exploded in his senior year & is now a potential 2nd round NBA draft pick.

Deng Adel is being chased pretty hard by Louisville.
Would be a good move, considering Mangok Mathiang also attends the school.
But uconn are pretty keen on the kid as well.

Another player to watch out for is Thon's younger brother, Matur.
http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/05/21/best-basketball-ahead-2017s-matur-maker/

Reply #476294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are here:http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/thon-maker/by74QPTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Best to look at his 2pt% vs 3pt%, rather than just focusing on FG%

Reply #476295 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I was referring to his AAU stats. he shot 39% from the field in EYBL play, 21% from 3.

Reply #476298 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

Some Fulla hahaha
Chur bro

Reply #476309 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Get him a game ASAP.

Who knows if we keep adding talent maybe just maybe Wortho might be forced out of the squad by 2020

Reply #476312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha the current boomers team vs China is a disgrace. Classic example of ordinary NBL talent

Reply #477180 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Ignoring the last poster.

Both Maker brothers are playing for the USA High School team at the 2014 addidas Eurocamp.

http://hoopniks.com/us-participants-in-adidas-eurocamp-named/

Reply #477227 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

That means nothing.. not for FIBA and official stuff anyways. I would get him on the very next junior rep team though

Reply #477228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Thon changing to class of 2015 make him same class as Simmons?

I get confused with how young these kids are.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/25/could-five-star-2016-power-forward-thon-maker-reclassify-to-2015/

Can the hoops community start a nickname of Thin? No.... Don't like it? Ok, I thought it was pretty good....

Reply #477235 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes it would - Simmons is also class of 2015.

Reply #477255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754