LC
Years ago

Game 1: Australia vs China (Sino-Aus Challenge)

A load of new talent trying to knock on the door of the Boomers training squad ahead of the 2014 FIBA World Cup against a young Chinese squad comprising of players from the Chinese league.

While it is really hard to gauge who will start and what the rotations will be like with such a new team, here is my starters based on little evidence...

Greenwood
Madgen
Worthington
Motum
Nevill

You can get to know the Boomers here: 2014 Sino-Australia Challenge: Introducing the Boomers

Tune in to ABC2 at 10:25pm AEST tonight to watch the game LIVE on FTA TV!

Topic #34562 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

So i can't get ABC working on my tv this is really annoying...

Reply #476623 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

15min to tip-off people.

Tune into ABC2 from 10:25pm AEST.

Reply #476629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any online streams available?

Reply #476632 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not sure of any online streams.

Starters: Greenwood, Madgen, Walker, Worthington & Brandt.

Reply #476634 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

China's team is massive - 9 of their team are over 200cm. Their length is causing the Aussies some trouble.

Reply #476636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they pluck the anthem singers out the crowd?

Reply #476637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And did they pump smog into the stadium to make the Chinese team feel at home

Reply #476638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is going to be interesting !!!

Reply #476639 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

So Perth basketball fans "Where the ell are ya?"

ABC commentator "A reasonable crowd here at Challenge Stadium"

Nice try.

(8/20)

Reply #476640 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Whats with the Chinese names on the back of the Aus guernseys?

Reply #476641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't like this team on paper and not liking it now..... not worth staying up

Reply #476642 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Nate Jawai on the bench was good to see.

Reply #476643 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Crazy starting lineup! Way too small against a big Chinese lineup. Brock Motum has looked good so far that's about it

Reply #476644 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Great to see Jawai in attendance on the bench, looks like a good indication towards his commitment to playing for the Boomers

Reply #476645 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai has been training with the team in the lead up to this game.

Chinese looked too organized and too polished in first half.

Australia looked disorganized.

Better started to 2nd half so far.

Reply #476646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgens defence is terrible.

Reply #476647 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hopefully big Nate is ready to step in next game because this team is really struggling so far. Hopefully our guys can lock in a bit better mentally in the 2nd half. Far too many defensive breakdowns and no cohesion or purpose on offence.

Reply #476648 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

Interesting half time stats. Neither team had committed a turnover apparently yet I recalled seeing at least four.

(9/20)

Reply #476650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen, Lucas walker and Rhys Martin are all out of their depths internationally. Quality nbl players but kids should be out there instead of these guys! Greenwood has looked like quality! Nbl sides should be lining up to sign this kid

Reply #476651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must be just me that thinks Motum is way overrated! Looks like he is scared to have a crack and show us what the hype is about

Reply #476653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^cant be serious motum is one of the very few who has shown abit! Moves well for a big lad and can shoot and finish! Did you miss his dunk in traffic?

Reply #476654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting why they have the games in Perth at night cuts out a lot of people from watching the games from the eastern states. 1 am

Reply #476656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Chinese players dominated Motum throughout the game. A dunk hardly makes up for that. Gotta be realistic. Had a couple of good plays and then nothing!

Reply #476657 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Whats with the Chinese names on the back of the Aus guernseys?
Possible that China financed a fair bit of the tournament?

Didn't like this team on paper and not liking it now..... not worth staying up
Just your luck. Great fight back and an overtime win.
Madgen, Lucas walker and Rhys Martin are all out of their depths internationally.
Walker and Martin were vital down the stretch. For the most part, Lemanis gave many of the guys a run. Was it just McVeigh who missed minutes?

Scrappy but tough play by the Boomers. Very entertaining fight back and win. Easily worth staying up for to see them stick at it whatever the margin.

Reply #476658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good finish, Boomers won in OT 97-95.

Reply #476659 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sorry anon 6657 but you're nuts if you think Motum was dominated. He was actually close to the only Boomer who looked a serious threat to score every time touched the ball. I hope Lemanis starts him alongside Walker and Neville next game.

Good heart shown by the guys to pull this game out. Boy was it amateur hour from the Chinese in the last few minutes tho!

Reply #476660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/44631/11/93/18/30Ij1eioTHH3Y/

Boomers top scorers were Walker 17, Nevill 16, Madgen 15, Motum 15

Reply #476661 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BA press release included this:

Making their Boomers' debuts, Lucas Walker (17 points and seven rebounds) and Brock Motum (15 points) came up huge for the home team, combining for 22 points in the final quarter and overtime.
Sydney Kings star Ben Madgen came up big in overtime, scoring six points on his way to 15 points for the game, while WA centre Luke Nevill was brilliant early, scoring 16 points and grabbing six rebounds in 17 minutes.

Reply #476662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked to me like the Chinese have played plenty of soccer.

Reply #476663 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

That was a difficult game at times to watch and although I'm glad we ultimately got the win, the cohesion and tentativeness was brutal in the first half with the exception being Nevill that didn't get the minutes he deserved.

I thought Steindl did some nice things throughout and Walker was more than handy and Wortho trying to intimidate the Chinese in the 3rd really lit the spark in us.

Hopefully we don't need that next game but I'd be very interested in who starts in game 2.

Chinese were far better than the crowd (went to a sino game last year and the crowd was nothing compared to Wildcats games except for the close finish). I'm not sure what agreement Perth have to host these games but I certainly wouldn't attend another. Far too many nervous players that are intimidated by the Boomers jersey!

Reply #476665 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Is it just me or do Aussie teams always shoot horribly from the 3 in these competitions. Lucas walker putting his hand up for that Barlow/worthington spot, one of the few guys who could make something happen at international level with his athleticism.

Reply #476666 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

This may have been covered before, another topic, but aren't the Boomers' games played in Australia (pre Olympics/Worlds)all organised by RV Sports, Andrew Vlahov company? Certainly were in the past couple of years but the contract may have expired. May answer why Perth is favoured.

Reply #476668 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Too early to really make judgement but three players made n impression on me in terms of what they would be needed to do in a full strength team.

Nevill - his jumpshot was money, exactly what we need from a big and what he's shown in the NBL in the past, and was solid defensively

Worthington - our best defender last night, very disruptive and showed Lemanis he can offer a lot in burst at PF. Shame he isn't a better perimeter shooter

Martin - was rusty at first, but the offence was sooooo much better when he was running it. I was most impressed by his D though, very clever and disruptive, exactly what you'd want from a backup PG

Other thoughts:

Motum is squarely in the Daniel Johnson mould. Has all sorts of offensive ability but still unpolished as an overall player and needs to improve his toughness on boards and defensively.

If only Walker was a diamond you could polish, he has the tools to play internationally but he is just raw and would make mistakes that hurt you.

I was super impressed with how the Chinese team started. Over the years the first game of these match ups both teams have been very rusty, and the Boomers were again, but China looked liked a well-oiled machine.

Looking forward to the next three games.

Reply #476670 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Absolutely agree with your take on players, if walker could raisd his IQ a bit I would feel a lot more comfortable with him on the court. Martin was very good at point and I thought wd were coached well.

Reply #476673 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All the players seemed to be committed to Lemanis. It looked disorganised at times but you couldn't question the intensity.

I don't know that I've seen Martin play that hard. He was pretty feisty when he got caught covering a big in the paint, working to the limits of fouling to keep his opponent out of rebounding contention. If he can carry that through to the Hawks, that will help them immensely as I think he can coast a bit in the NBL.

Reply #476674 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great second half comeback!

Without Nevill, the game would have been over by half time.

As the game wore on, Walker, Motum and Madgen got better and better. Martin was solid, although I also liked the team better within Greenwood on court rather than Martin as he was the better play maker.

Emotionless first half by the Aussies, and then the Aussie spirit and fire kicked came to the fore in the second half, in part thanks to Wortho.

Reply #476678 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Game 1 Recap is now up on PnR site:

2014 Sino-Australia Challenge: Boomers come from behind to steal game 1

Lucas Walker was a surprise inclusion in a new-look Australian Boomers team that began their four-game Sino-Australia series against a young Chinese team in Perth. 45 minutes after tip-off, it was Walker's athleticism and tenacity that had helped catapult the Boomers to an improbable 97-95 overtime victory.

Reply #476679 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Out of interest, why did we pick that team? Ie, why no Damian Martin or Adam Gibson? No Petrie? (Perhaps too old). I can understand DJ is overseas.

It seems like we chose mostly a very young team of players that have never really played together - ie, a development type squad.

Reply #476682 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin pulled out with injury and I suspect Gibson and Petrie might already be picked for the next camp?

Hoping the Boomers can react better to China's pressure from early on in Game 2. Greenwood, Madgen and Walker in particular got forced into bad decisions by that, when composure is absolutely key in international ball.

Reply #476689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum is the type of guy Lemanis needs at the 4 in his system, Walker has some of the same traits. Think Wagstaff is similar as well. Bairstow is also in the 4. You would think these guys will be front runners for 2 spots. Time to move on from Worthington.

Rhys Martin has no chance of making the WC team, Mills, Delly, Exum looks nice. Greenwood may be a better option as an extra guard over Gibson or D. Martin as he can pretty much do whatever they can do but has 10yrs ahead of him in the singlet.

Shooting the ball is a real problem! Madgen doesn't stretch the floor. Hard to see him in the final mix for that reason. Gliddon and Steindl promise 3pt shooting but when will it be more than potential?

Nevill has to be s strong chance to be one of 3 legit bigs in the WC team, he seems to have matured.

Reply #476691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas best on court and best intensity... My pick for game MVP…. Amazing how a player changes under the right coaching….. Leave Melbourne and Anstey and flourish…. Wortho may be clever on court but his attitude has not changed…..

Reply #476694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to move on from Worthington.

Yeah right, arguably our most influential player last night. Without his willingness to do the 1%ers, play good D and get under opposition player's skins we never would've gotten back into that game.

People need to accept & understand that when it comes to the Boomers Wortho is the modern day Vlahov every team needs one and IMO will be there at the WC once again. He just about picks himself and it's got absolutely nothing to do with not having a great year in the NBL or not shooting well in a game, he's too important to leave out.

Reply #476695 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly. I think either Wortho or Petrie has to be at the WC to do all those little things, press up the floor and defend more mobile PFs or stronger SFs.

Reply #476697 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Was an ugly game to watch. All credit for the last minute come back.. the heart was there but I feel like the athleticism, size and skill is sorely lacking from this group.

I don't think anyone impressed me enough to disrupt for spots on the World Champ team but we did get half decent mileage out of Walker, Motum, Nevill and Worthington. I agree that it is time to move on from Worthington I would probably take Petrie into my World Cup team, does everything Worthington does plus is a reliable shooter.

They all looked a bit flat footed and unco.. Madgen is too unathletic and slow to make the worlds squad, his defence is also highly suspect.. He wouldn't be able to get to the ring, and he would be lucky to get a shot off. Steindl and Gliddon were virtually non-entities but they would be two who perhaps could sneak in for a spot up shooter role. Nevill was alright but we have enough centres and hes about 5th in line if that.

Motum was underwhelming given his college pedigree.. but I guess we will wait and see for him.

Either way, I can see why Perth didn't overly turn up. This is the Boomers D team if lucky. I don't really see any more then 1 or 2 making it from this group once we factor in

Mills
Gibbo
D martin
Exum
Newley
Goulding
Ingles
Baynes
Bairstow
Maric
Anderson
Petrie
Jawai
Bogut*
Dellavedova
Barlow (I am reconsidering Barlows worth atm)

Feasibly you could make a world cup team without including a single person from this team.

Reply #476703 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The team also sorely lacked length and athleticism that Drmic and Blanchfield would have given us. Any word why they were omitted? must have been injured?

Reply #476705 | Report this post

Lars Taughtme  
Years ago

Me. I expected it to happen, but at halftime it was 11.30 and time for my tablet

Reply #476706 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

They had this out at Challenge Stadium where the Wildcats played for a long time.

This decision made no sense

A) Its hard to get out there at the best of times by public transport

B) Parking is limited

C) The facilties are well... not great by any standard nowadays.

Reply #476708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Saturday's game is selling very well, but 8.30pm on a Thurs was always going to be a stretch for fans. Pretty sure the time was for Chinese TV, and they pay more than fans.

Reply #476714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could see the team looking like this...

1/2 - Mills/Dellavedova/Exum
2/3 - Newley/Ingles/Goulding
4 - Motum/Bairstow/Anderson
5 - Maric/Baynes/Nevill

Reply #476722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Assuming Bogut's not available, I think maybe something like:

Baynes/Jawai
Andersen/Petrie/Bairstow
Ingles/Newley
Mills/Goulding/Exum
Dellavedova/Gibson

Nevill, Worthington, Broekhoff and D Martin would round out my squad of 16.

Reply #476724 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hope Bogut pulls his finger out. squad looks much better if that happens.

Reply #476725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Jawai really even in the picture though? I know he's over there with the team and not playing but is he seriously considered in the mix for the WC team?

If so I would've thought with guys like Baynes & Andersen around he would be doing everything he could to get in.

Reply #476727 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, I thought Wortho played a good disruptive role to help get us back in the game vs the Chinese, but they really aren't a very good team. My memory is that against more experienced, better opposition that Wortho was unable to have an impact in the past.

I'd definitely go with Petrie for that role over Worthington for the moment. Ideally, Simmons will come along sooner rather than later and can play the mobile big role anyway.

I think Nevill should get some consideration for the Worlds team if Bogut doesn't play. He's probably competing with Jawai for the last big man spot IMO, behind Baynes, Andersen and Bairstow. (I could be jumping the gun with Bairstow, but I have really been super-impressed with his hustle and agility for his size - which puts him ahead of Nevill and Jawai in my eyes).

Maybe I had lower expectations for Motum, but I thought he showed some good potential in his first Boomers game. He's very quick and agile for his size and clever at getting off his shot too. I liked the competitive fire he showed as well. Time will tell if he can improve defensively and if he can get his shot off against better opponents around the basket. I think there's a possibility he could slide into the 12th spot though for the Worlds.

Anyone know if Broekhoff will get a chance to suit up for the Boomers before the Worlds? I'd like to see what he can offer too.

Reply #476734 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Jawai and Bogut's availability make it hard to pick a final 12,

Dellavedova, Exum,
Mills, Newley,Goulding
Ingles,Simmons
Andersen,Bairstow,Petrie.
Baynes,Jawai.

Motum, Drmic, Nevill and D Martin round squad to 16.

Reply #476735 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Beantown - I haven't seen Wortho play internationally in a disruptive defensive scheme like this one so it's hard to say, but I think he and Petrie are definitely the best we've got in that role.

Reply #476737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having said that, Wortho has more than proved himself as an international 3/4, so while I think Petrie has a little bit more to offer I wouldn't mind either, or even both if Lemanis really wants to pour on the pressure.

Reply #476738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately Petrie is a poor man's Wortho so I dare say unless Wortho falls out of favour (evidence suggests no) Petrie won't really come into it.

Reply #476741 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

paul, I can't believe you've got Nevill on the outside of your 12-man team. You've been pumping his tyres up for so long, and I was finally starting to get on board with you, and now you've given him the chop! Ha ha.

I would also have Damian Martin in the back-up point guard role ahead of Gibson, especially now that he has improved his three-point shot. As you mentioned above, you want your back-up point guard to be defensively disruptive, then we should take our best defender, who just happens to be a point guard.

And I still just can't get on board with Petrie being in our best 12 man team. I love Peach, but something about it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, on to game 2 tomorrow night. Let's hope the fellas can show that fourth quarter aggressiveness for more of the game.

Reply #476747 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Petries a poor mans wortho? I was thinking it was reverse of that !

Reply #476754 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would take Petrie over Wortho. Also Martin over Gibson. Just my opinion.

Reply #476756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho

2013/14: 15ppg & 7rpg

Career: 15ppg & 6rpg

Petrie

2013/14: 10ppg & 7rpg

Career: 11ppg & 6rpg

Reply #476760 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Interesting little stats comparison between Broekhoff and Ingles:

Ingles

Israeli League: 5.9 ppg in 20.6 minutes per game

Euroleague: 6.4 ppg in 22.4 minutes per game

Broekhoff

Turkish League: 6.2 ppg in 15.3 minutes per game

Eurocup: 6.3 ppg in 21.9 minutes per game

Obviously Ingles plays in the Euroleague which is a higher level, and is much more experienced at the international level. But it's worth keeping in mind ...

Reply #476763 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sure, Wortho has had the better overall career, but these days he couldn't hit the side of a barn and has no lift to get his shot off in the paint. Petrie isn't a great shooter, but at least you can rely on him to knock down an open shot when he is wide open! Defensive harassment is all well and good, but if the other team can basically ignore you on offence, then the benefits are largely negated IMO.

Reply #476765 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Just finished watching replay, Waxy was in great form!

Reply #476773 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Can't get my head around all the comments regarding D Martin being in the mix for the boomers. I would pick R Martin over him every day of the week and over Gibson.
Controls tempo better
Doesn't have FLAT feet like D Martin
Better handle than both Gibson n D M
Gets his team to the finals without superstars around him.
Put Gibson and D Martin at the hawks and see how successful they are.

Reply #476777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anyway who simply quotes stats and says Worthington had a better 2013/14 than Petrie didn't watch the season!

Reply #476779 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Huge call there Dave, R Martin over D Martin or Gibson!
Rotnei Clarke got the Hawks into the finals and only just.

Reply #476780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

760 - Now put the average minutes per game and then work out the average based on injury games out.. Stats need to be interpreted...…. You just can't compare apple and apples, some might be grannies and others red delicious.
Basketball is intellectual and not as it seems..that's why their is so much debate...

Reply #476784 | Report this post

Vodka43  
Years ago

Jez - What's worth keeping in mind???

Reply #476785 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Yeah Steve but Clarke was a 2 guard and not running the point, R Martin was the guy running the show for Geordie.

Reply #476787 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Clarke was the guy putting the ball in the bucket which was the telling factor in getting them to the play offs

Reply #476794 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Vodka43 I merely thought it an interesting stats comparison between a guy considered a lock and a guy who's on the fringes

Reply #476817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro stats are not relevant. Their role in those teams is most likely not close to what it would be for boomers.

Who needs to get numbers for us?
Mills
Dellavedova
Ingles
Anderson
Bogut

The rest are role players. They need to be able to support those 5. If no Bogut the major minutes at the 5 surely fall to Baynes.

What's needed?
Another PG
2 wings who can shoot the ball
2 athletic swing forwards
2 post players

Reply #476832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754