Isaac
Years ago

Steve Ballmer buys Clippers for $2b

Record price for an NBA team. Steve Ballmer was most recently CEO of Microsoft.

Other bids game from David Geffen and co ($1.6b) and a group of LA investors ($1.2b). Previous record sale price was the $550m paid for the Bucks earlier this month.

It's the second highest price achieved for a pro sports team in North America behind the Dodgers' 2012 sale for $2.1b.

Ballmer lives in Seattle and has an estimated net worth of $20b. He previously attempted to buy the Sacramento Kings and move them to Seattle, but other owners rejected the proposal.

It's likely this sale will get the support of the other owners who will require he not move the team. Ballmer has previously said that the high price of the Clippers only makes sense in the context of LA.

Topic #34564 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe Geffen's bidding group included Larry Ellison & Oprah Winfrey.

Reply #476675 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Now we get to find out how crazy Sterling is!!!
If he doesn't accept that and leave quietly then he really must have some issues.

His lawyer has been saying that he now wants to fight all the allegations and keep the team.
Says he changed his mind about letting his wife organise a sale of the team.

Hopefully he will just take the $1billion, his share of the team and disappear from the NBA landscape.

Reply #476685 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Overpaid to the hilt. Perfect time to sell them really, because it won't be much longer before the Lakers are the #1 team on the court again. And once that happens, the Clips will go back to where they've always been, a 2nd class team happy with their little division title banners.

Reply #476693 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

WOW, what a price! Now at least the Sterling saga can start to get put behind us

Reply #476701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Allen owns the Blazers. Will we see Gates buy into the league?

Reply #476710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think gates' wont. His view would be to solve the problems of the third world than spend it on something frivolous like sporting franchise.

Reply #476713 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Some of the ESPN analyst are saying they should change their name to start from a clean slate & maybe get some sponsors back on board.

One suggested the "LA Stars" another suggested the "Condors" due to the Lob City aspect.

What everyone thoughts?

Reply #476721 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

a teams name is it's heritage. you dont ever change its name

Reply #476745 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Think they should change the name, the Clippers have sucked for so long and have only been around for less than 35 years (I think they where the Buffalo Braves before that), have not won any titles and have been the worst performing sports franchise in America for a long time (minus the last 3 years).
Really, what are you losing?

Reply #476758 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Don Sterling is all kinds of crazy if he wants to reject $2 billion to fight the rest of the NBA!

I am gob-smacked that someone was willing to pay so much in a forced sale like that. That's like 6 times what current Celtics ownership paid to get the most successful NBA franchise just over a decade ago! Don Sterling does not deserve such a good deal.

I tend to agree with Celtic Green about changing the name though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make a very clear break with thirty-five years of futility and racist attitudes. Maybe the LA Bloods? ;-)

Reply #476761 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Celtic Green, I would have agreed with you a few years ago and as you said, prior to 3 years ago they have been (possibly) the worst franchise in NBA history.

However they are now one of the biggest franchises going around and currently very marketable too. Though I don't know how attached their fans are to the Clippers name, and US sports culture is much different to that here. It may not bother them to change? They certainly have a lot of cash floating around to make it possible anyway.

Reply #476762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not opposed to a name change, Clippers have been a laughing stock until 2 minutes ago. Also

1. Whats a Clippers and
2. Gimme the Clippers

Reply #476793 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^anon a Clipper is a sailing ship and that old trade route history around the West Coast of the US is what I am guessing they are basing their logo on.

Changing their name won't make them a superstar team or improve much on the court, they are heading in the right direction there.

Not sure they need to change their name and logo, new owners however will have a brain storming session to decide the future of the franchise, you can bet on that...

If the new owner is planning to bring the franchise back to Seattle in a few years, maybe the Super Sonics could re emerge?

Reply #476797 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

L.A United?

Reply #476800 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Damn I was hoping Sitivini would put in a bid.

Reply #476827 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's unfortunately too busy sorting the Brisbane bid

Reply #476831 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bear, I'm pretty sure I read that a condition of the sale to this guy is that he keeps the team in LA.

I'd like to see Seattle get a team back as I think they got screwed by Clay Bennett, but LA really needs two teams.

Reply #476837 | Report this post

Clips  
Years ago

the name should stay as the clippers.

Reply #477193 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, they should stay as they are, again, I see no need to tamper with a franchise that is clearly on the up.

The price is amazing, as is the NBA itself!

Makes me think about where the top end of the AFL is, on say a ladder in player payments, and then the bottom end of the NBA starts...

Just a quick comparison, Buddy on a record $1m a year sallary and Delly on a 1.3m deal, shows us where the money really is doesn't it?

Reply #477213 | Report this post

Know it all  
Years ago

^Real Moneys in the soccer = World Game

Reply #477222 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There are actually two world games KIA, one uses a player's feet and the other one a player's hands!

Agree however, Soccer is likely to be number one in the top flight money stakes, I would imagine...

Reply #477223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754