Anonymous
Years ago

National U16 Basketball Championships in Geelong

See Australia and New Zealand's best young under 16 basketballers display their talents as they aim to futher their careers and perhaps one day represent their country.

When: Daily from 05 July 2014 to 12 July 2014

Next on: 05 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM

(other upcoming dates and times) 06 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
07 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
08 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
09 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
10 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
11 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM
12 July 2014, 08:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Where: The Arena
110 Victoria Street, North Geelong 3215
Costs: Adult: $20.00
Child (10 to 16 years old): $15.00
Concession: $15.00
Family (2 Adults 2 Children): $45.00
Free & Ticketed areas (Under 10 Free): $0.00
Other/More Information (Early Bird discount Pre-sale tickets availble online)
Student: $15.00

Facilities: Catering and/or dining
Change room facilities
Children's activities
First Aid available
Parking available
Seating/viewing areas
Toilets available
Undercover areas
Wheelchair accessible

Further information
Associated Organisations: Basketball Geelong
Phone: 03 5277 1388
Fax: 03 5277 1389
Email: [email protected]

Topic #34596 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that $20.00 per day or week???

Reply #477534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think for the week?

Reply #477539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$20 would be for a day, can probably get a weekly pass for around $60 or $70.

$20 is great value with the amount of young quality players and games you are able to watch on any given day.

I would much prefer to pay these prices for a day compared to say $5 or $7 for some of the tripe the rubbish Big V comps like div 2 women for instance serve up.

Reply #477542 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are you serious - to watch 14 and 15 year old kids it will cost me $45 a day for my 2 sons and I to watch?

They obviously don't want many casual spectators. With prices like that they will only get immediate family members to watch.

If I only want to watch one game is it still $45?

And they complain about AFL pricing - what a joke!

Reply #477550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea thats the problem. THey cant sell game passes so sell day passes. I suspect most people buying tickets will be family, friends and supporters of the athletes. They will still get packed crowds....

Not really priced towards the casual visitor is it?

Reply #477552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, on Wednesday 9 July, there will be a double header SEABL match between Geelong & Nunawading - women's game starts at 6:15pm, and the men at 8:15pm, for those who are interested.

Reply #477559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$20 a day makes it out of reach for the average basketball fan to come and watch. What is the reason for the ticketing anyway? To raise money? Better selling more tickets per day at a cheap price than selling one $20 ticket!
I'd go several days at $5 per day pass. At $20 per day, it's not good enough value when there is usually only a couple of great games each day.

Reply #477560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the adult cost to the SEABL double header? Less than $20?

Reply #477561 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just buy a week long family pass and go whenever you want then!

Reply #477562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL double header pricing ranges from $8.50 through to $20.00...

Reply #477563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercat prices depend on where you are sitting, they have 3 sections - bronze, silver & gold, plus adults can stand in the bar upstairs.
adults: bar ticket - $10; bronze - $12.50; silver - $15 & gold - $20
child (u16): bronze - $8.50; silver - $10; gold - $12.50
concession: bronze - $10; silver - $12.50; gold - $15.003
family (4), cost per ticket: bronze - $9.00; silver $10.00; gold - $15.00

Reply #477564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is very expensive to run a National Champ and the Assoc needs to recoup at least some of their money. Please let me know if this is incorrect but it is about $5000 (to BA) plus bench and I think refs accommodation. Just for a start!!

Reply #477568 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Supercats prices are the same as going to the movies.Wouldn't pay those prices for an underage tournament.

Reply #477569 | Report this post

BOB911  
Years ago

Just go to the final, and watch the rest online like the U/18's.

Reply #477574 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Happy Days, I am sure you have been to plenty of Nationals in the past, the prices are all about the same, they haven't set prices here out of the ordinary or differently from any other Nationals in the past I believe...

Reply #477582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre Purchase Ticket prices are available online at basketballgeelong.com.au now

Daily
Adult $15.00
Student/Conc $10.00
Child (10-16)$10.00
Family $35.00

Weekly
Adult $70.00 (or $8.75 per day)
Student/Conc $35.00 (or $4.375 per day)
Child (10-16)$35.00
Family $150.00 (or $4.68 per person per day)

Reply #477594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the centre court or show court be used?

It has to be one of the best courts going around and would be awesome for ntionals.

Reply #477599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the courts being used are the Show Court, then courts 1 & 3 in the Annexe area.

Reply #477664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL prices at Geelong are over the top, 17.00 and if your not a Geelong supporter you are ushered to the worst seats right up the top, disgraceful. Sorry if they want people to support such an event they need to make it affordable for the general public. And it's school holidays too, so anyone with a family are not only up for the admission costs but food and drinks no doubt. And what about grandparents who want to come and watch, what pensioner these days has that type of money to spend. I remember when they had them at Kilsyth a few years back you could get a day ticket for I think 6.00

Reply #477699 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

I agree the prices are over the top. I was at Kilsyth too, think it was about the same. The trouble is that you can't buy a ticket for just one game or even a session of 2 games and as you say plenty of the spectators are family members, who have already paid lots to get their kids there. Costs should be shared by the states and families given discounted tickets maybe? Either way, people will still go, even if there is no where to sit and a chance you won't get in to see your game, as was the case in Brisbane recently.

Reply #477722 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You are joking aren't you wonderer? If the ticket prices above are accurate, then $150 for a family ticket for a week is not over the top.

I think $20 for a day ticket is expensive (as quoted by OP) if you are just going to one game, but families will be there for multiple days and on that basis it looks like they have catered for families in their pricing.

Reply #477723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 150 for a family working out at $4.68 per person is cheap....so why can't they just make it a flat $5.00 per day, bet they would end up making more money that way as a lot more people would go. Sometimes a smaller profit makes for a greater return. The $20 a day may limit those who may want to go more than once but cannot make it every day

Reply #477729 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have never had a problem getting a seat at any Australian Nationals, ever! Comfort, however is another thing altogether.

The seating at the Arena appears to have been planned very well. The centre show court will be possibly the best and most comfortable court for the finals ever I believe, maybe only surpassed by the AIS main court at under 14 Nationals 2010...

Reply #477737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously didn't go to un16s at Kilsyth then lol, the only seating available was on show CRT, the rest was standing room, or metal benches that actually collapsed under the weight on first day of comp and you weren't allowed to sit their. They moved the Vic country nsw met women's semi game from show CRT to allow the Vic metro team to play thinking they would have more spectators, when in fact the show CRT was hardly filled yet CRT 3 was literally standing room only. Geelong has at least some seating at one end of the crts but not the other, show CRT fine except if your up the top, can't see well at all lighting is terrible. Let's hope for the exorbitant prices they charge they bring in adequate seating for the other two crts.

Reply #477744 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Actually I did go to Kilsyth Anonymous, it wasn't the best agreed, they got better since that tournament though. Yes, to answer your concerns at Geelong in a few weeks time they will have ample seating between courts 1 & 3 utilising court 2 for this purpose.

Wam up and stretching will probably have to be conducted elsewhere though, not sure how much space will be left in the Annex, but from all accounts the organisers are doing a decent job of it thus far...

Reply #477748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So teams will have to warm up elsewhere? Seriously, why tender for an event if you don't have the facilities to cater for it,, happens all the time, why do BA accept tenders without looking into the workings of the tournament as in warm ups seating parking etc. I know Geelong have some parking but there is no where near the amount required, and you certainly can't park in the surrounding streets. They did the same at Kilsyth abd Brisbane

Reply #477752 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Brisbane was far away the worst ever a couple of years ago. There were times when parents were actually told there were no seats available to watch their own kids play on that rickety court up the scary stairs....but common sense prevailed in the end. And the wheelies were sent somewhere else, which was unfortunate. Unfortunately there are not too many venues which can cater for an event, BA should only accept tenders from them. But as someone else said, it's hard work, requires lots of volunteers and not everyone wants to put in that effort.

As for the price thing, if you don't want to go all week and you have 1 adult and 1 child wanting to watch 1 game per day for 3 or 4 days, let me assure you, it's pretty expensive.

Reply #477758 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So you want 3 courts with seating and warm-up courts - just where, other than Dandenong, are you going to get that? I am all for BA only giving their events to high quality venues, but how do you expect venues to cater for your requirements and then keep costs down? I would think Geelong would probably have to hire in seating?

Bear, is that the case? Are they bringing in seating - is that what you are talking about will happen with court 2?

Reply #477760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1500 seats on show court

Around 300 on court 1

I suspect small seating to be brought in for court 3 to seat around 100

This is better than most venues in living memory!

Court 2 will most likely be a warm down area.

Reply #477762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams get 20 mins warm up on their game court. More than enough.

Reply #477763 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO, I believe there was going to be seating brought in to establish two way veiwing from court 2, at a cost of course, however if plans have changed I stand corrected. If they go ahead with the original idea, there will be ample and excellent seating for every game...

The venue is not cheap, as all venues have a cost attached to them, however council usually work with the Associations to keep some costs to a minimum.

At the Arena, the venue is totally owned by council, the canteen is run by council and therefore they will benefit greatly from this event in a financial sense I would imagine.

Like all Associations that work with other authorities and without autonomy at their home venue, they will be relying on many volunteers to make it all come together.

Reply #477764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong, franks ton, Knox, Knox state centre though seating there is just as bad at least parking wouldn't be an issue, cranbourne, Waverley, though parking there WOULD be a nightmare, , ballarat, bendigo, ate all stadiums that could cater for such events regarding crts and also seating. With most also able to supply ample parking. All have manpower too I would imangine

Reply #477767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat is no better equipped for seating, they use court 1 & 3 (seats about 50) plus the nearby netball centre...

Bendigo has two courts that can seat decent crowds and you would think they could set up another on new courts. Although this would only be the same as geelong.

Geelong is a great venue.

Only trouble for them as stated is the fact that the council do very little to help basketball. The council will take court hire plus all catering $$. This is no doubt why tickets are $20/ day.

Reply #477768 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Parking isn't great during the day, admit that, however on weekends and after 5.00pm the railway station next door starts to empty, hundreds of car parks if you don't want to take advantage of the fact that North Geelong Station is walking distance...

Reply #477770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it - website finally up and running, 3 weeks out from the event.

Any thoughts on the draw? Pool A looks soft in the boys, while the girls' split looks a bit more balanced.

Reply #478318 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Will we be able to youtube the games like the under u18 nationals played this year. Cheers

Reply #478632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the rest day for all teams is gone and they've fixtured extra finals. A great leap backwards for kids that are already asked to do too much.

Reply #478633 | Report this post

Europe10  
Years ago

Need guy who could work as basketball scout in Australia, he must know the prospects,recognize the talent, have connections etc..contact me by skype, thanks.

Reply #479254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a week to go, any news, updates, injuries, gossip?

Reply #480241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to our Under 16 Girls for winning Gold very proud of you all. Great Coaching by Lynne, john and Jason Go SA!!!!!

Reply #482609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort, congrats from a Vic Metro girls parent.

Reply #482611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754