Anonymous
Years ago

NBA Finals: Spurs vs Heat, Game 4

Another powerful team performance by the Spurs coming, or does the Heat and their big 3 have a spark left in them?

Can Patty Mills inspire his team with some more super hustle and 3 point shooting?

Half time score says something!

Topic #34657 | Report this topic

Jimbob  
Years ago

How bad has wade been, never seen him play so poorly!

Reply #478518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wade has been so lazy.

Reply #478519 | Report this post

Jimbob  
Years ago

All he does is whine about not getting a call and not get back on defense

Reply #478521 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Huge 3rd by the Spurs to hang onto that lead.

Reply #478524 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

Don't think I've ever seen a team look so damn depressed on court for an entire game

Reply #478526 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Patty Mills and Boris Diaw have both been huge.

Reply #478533 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mario Chalmers has being terrible.

Spurs have been playing terrific offense, but Spoelstra's coaching changes probably didn't help.

Last year they were a real gritty defensive team with Haslem, Battier and Andersen lodging solid minutes.

This year, they have opted for a more offensively-styled lineup with Lewis starting (who is out of his depth defensively) and Bosh playing more at the 5. They have tried to stretch their offensive sets.

Why Battier hasn't played more, given his experience and defensive prowess, is behind me.

Reply #478534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why Parker and Leonard are even on the court in the last with the game won is beyond me

Reply #478535 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair, no lead is ever really safe in the 4th against the Heat.

Reply #478536 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Kawai Leondard dominating as great to see, (even though im a Heat/LeBron & Wade fan!) i have rated him ahead of Paul George the last few years and to me he is the 3rd best SF behind LeBron and KD, watch out NBA here comes KAWAI!!!

Reply #478537 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Scary thing is, imagine Kawhi was in a team like Minny/Milwaukee. He would have the green light and would probably be good for 20/10 a night.

Players that go to the Spurs have to sacrifice a lot of themselves early on (in terms of their own individual success).

What I love about Kawhi is that he just comes across as a winner.

Doesn't seem to care at all about points or putting up numbers.

Reply #478539 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Baynes on the score sheet!

Reply #478540 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

exactly, i wouldnt be surprised if he has a Duncan like career, being a humble superstar that leads teams to titles or very close each year for the next 10 years, assuming the Spurs continue to be well coached and find the perfect players for there system.

A piece like Kawai is also attractive for other superstars to come and play with him, with his no fuss, no ego winning attitude and awesome play. I hope they get someone like Aldridge/Anthony Davis to replace Duncan when he retires and continue on winning!

Reply #478542 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Patty getting a lot of love on Twitter from all over, and is trending in Aus.

Spurs need to make sure they lock him down along with Leonard, could form a pretty potent combo.

Reply #478546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, completely agree on Battier. You just can't easily quantify the value you get from someone who plays D, makes the outside shot, doesn't turnover the ball and is a perfect teammate. Yet he played only garbage minutes in the last two blowouts.

He played 20ish MPG in the regular season and similar in the 4-1 series against Brooklyn.

Reply #478549 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is it just me or have the last two games reminded you of the Cavs vs. Spurs Final Series of 2007.

The Heat have reminded me more and more of the Cavs of old.

Lebron doing all he can with limited to no support.

Reply #478552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills > Lebron James

Great to see him finally get his ring

Reply #478561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoelstra is the worst coach. He has the most talent at his disposal and has know idea how to get a winning combination. In the off season they signed Beasley and Oden and not addressing the PG or C gap and Beasley and Oden are a non factor in the series. Battier and Haslam have been moved from starters to junk time minutes and James Jones outscored Wade today in 3 minutes of court time and only 4 shots required.

Popovich on the other hand, has recruited and developed a SF who can guard LeBron in Kawhi, got improvements from fringe players like Danny Green and Patty Mills who can knock down shots and has ultimate glue guy in Boris Diaw playing really well and is winning the series with having Matt Bonner in his 9-man main rotation.

Just goes to show how important the good coach is. If San Antonio add Kyle Andersen in the draft as a Boris Diaw back-up as a PF who can pass and pick up another combo forward who plays defence better than Belinilli to back up Kawhi, someone like Wesley Johnson, then I think they would have a chance for a few more titles.

Reply #478562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted on r/NBA:

I haven't seen such a beautiful display of basketball since 2 days ago.

Reply #478576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oden was signed primarily for the Indiana series which he didn't end up needing to be utilised for. He was a low cost low risk signing. Beasley again was a low cost low risk signing with big potential.

Personally I think Spo is a good coach. He has a great ability to write up solid plays and to keep egos in check. Regardless of what you think, its not as much Spos job to recuit then iot is for the GM or President.

Reply #478579 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Khawai Leonard looks to be the MVP so far.

Reply #478583 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Spo has been completely out-coached by the greatest coach of the modern era. Pop is the MVP of this series.

I agree on the Battier and Haslem points. Why they aren't getting big minutes in this series is beyond me.

Also, with the Heat struggling to get a 2nd scorer going, why Beasley's instant offence isn't even on the active roster while Oden and Douglas are is even more bizarre. So many times in the 3 losses, I thought that Beas may have been handy.

Reply #478585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D was a killer for the Heat. So many open 3's. Credit to the spurs for making the extra pass to test Heat's D. I remember when the Heat were a great defensive team.

Reply #478588 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea i agree Beasley could have been handy in a Lewis-ish cameo role, score a few points quickly.

I also think they have played Chalmers way too much for not alot of production, would rather give the bulk of his minutes to Battier, Cole and Haslem, all offer defense and could probably give as much offensively to Chalmers has anyway.

Im pretty certain the Spurs will win it in 5 now, if not im sure they will win, as i doubt they will lose 3 straight, especially with 2 at home.

Is this the perfect retirement party for Duncan and Pop or do people think they will go around again??

Well done to the Spurs, I was going for the Heat, but they have shown why they are the model franchise and just been way too good in this series, and how they recruit year after year while staying top 4-5 is amazing.

They converted George Hill (a solid back up) into Kahwai Leonard (future franchise player)!!! that alone makes them the best recruiters of the last few years imo, (let alone all the other amazing pick ups they have got).

Reply #478589 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Pop should keep going until he drops! And the way Timmy looks, he could keep going another 3 seasons. He is playing smaller minutes in the regular season, and is still being rested at crucial times in these finals, especially since the Spurs are blowing them out.

Reply #478590 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea i agree and hope they do continue a few more seasons!

Reply #478591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spo is a dud. Would like to see how he goes with a struggling team rather than being handed the keys to the kingdom.

If Miami are chasing Carmelo, it also shows that the management of Miami is crazy with hoping big names to bring success. Miami really need role players right now in a PG who can defend and a big time shot blocker in the paint.

The San Antonio recruiters do the best in the draft and Pop gets the most out of the players. Danny Green couldn't get minutes in Cleveland and not a great spot up role playing shooter. Manu, their 3rd best player comes off the bench for team need. And look at the players they lost in George Hill, Gary Neal, DeJuan Blair were they are nowhere nearly as effective as they were in the San Antonio line up.

Reply #478607 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props to Mills & Baynes, I hope they get rings.

Reply #478609 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Duncan has a player option for next years contract and has until June 24th to notify the Spurs of his intention. Both tony Parker and Manu are signed for next season and both have said they will for sure be playing.Hopefully Duncan and Pop stick around one more season even if they collect their 5th Championship together, at least to provide for a smooth succession of the younger guys (and the new coaches) coming through.

Reply #478707 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oden was signed primarily for the Indiana series which he didn't end up needing to be utilised for.
I think he was signed because he was cheap, there was upside and he was happy to take a potentially easy ride. I suspect he hasn't turned out to be very good at all so they haven't played him. Someone like Andersen is getting all the minutes because he's faster, has more heart, knows the team, etc.

Reply #478715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LeBron on Finals: 'What I'm doing isn't enough'
Probably more about it not being smart enough, getting teammates to lift, play better as a team, etc.

Reply #478782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754