Peter
Years ago

Official - Bogut out of worlds

Not sure if this has already been posted, but Bogut confirms he is definitely out of the worlds.

He also publicly gives props to Patty & Baynesy aswell.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/basketball/boomers-dream-team-on-hold-as-injured-andrew-bogut-rules-himself-out-of-basketball-world-cup/story-e6frf3f3-1226956577502

Topic #34703 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a surprise

Reply #479457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries to take his place?

Reply #479458 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm not surprised I just hope he still wants to play in 2016. Fingers crossed Jawai will play this year.

Reply #479460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"I could play but it would jeopardise my main goal which is playing in the Olympics (Brazil). Unfortunately to get there I have to give something up and it will be the worlds this year."

“My rib is not 100 per cent and I'm still not back into full training. I can’t see myself playing through the Worlds and a full NBA season.”

Reply #479462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Baynes at the 5 at this point. A quarter of the talent, but twice the heart.

Reply #479463 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"A quarter of the talent"

Geez, that's harsh on Baynes.

Reply #479470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon bogut the odds of you playing a full season inthe nba anyway would be 300 to one.. Using the old don't want to get injured to stay for for nba won't work for u! This guy yes he is the most talented he doesn't have the same urgency to play for his country like patty mills or even Tim Cahill for soccer. I am over this guy

Reply #479471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's official - he is available for the Olympics.

Reply #479473 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Even if Bogut was fully fit, anyone think he would play?

Reply #479475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he ever not been injured for a Worlds or Olympics? Must have been like one appearance?

Reply #479483 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

No way Baynes starts at the 5. Jawai is 3 times as talented as him and if in shape should start. Ashame about Bogut!!

Reply #479490 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Jawai appears to be working on his fitness.. He should be up to speed by August surely?

Reply #479492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut hasn't played a game for the Boomers in 6 years and I'd be surprised if he ever does again.

For anon above Bogut played at the '04 Olympics, '06 WC and '08 Olympics.

Reply #479495 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My concern about Jawai is that he has not played a game for 6 months...

Reply #479502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ LC, that would be my concern as well but Lemanis is planning quite a number of high quality (thankfully) lead up games to the world cup which will test out all the players as well as Jawai.

The thing, i feel, with Jawai is that he is just so unique as a player to our team and he was coming into such great form in turkey that we have to give him a shot at the team

As much as I would love to see the team with Bogut in it, at least Lemanis can now know he is not playing and can get on with forming the team.

I think the main 5 bigs (basically pick themselves now) will be

Baynes, Andersen, Jawai, Maric and Bairstow

with Mills, Dellavedova, exum, Newley, Ingles, Simmons and Brockhoff or Goulding

Reply #479507 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Steven A was right when he called him at Tin Man.

All talk. No ticker!

Reply #479514 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sorry Andrew but I'm over your nonsense, please don't play in the olympics!

Reply #479515 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Some of you guys are tough on Bogut. He hasn't been in one piece for 4-5 years. I desperately want him to play but I don't think he should. If he had an injury free season this year and he was fit it would be a different story.

Reply #479517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Jawai riding a stationary bike at the gym. He had a hot dog in each hand although it was good to see him working out.

Reply #479518 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

you guys act like bogut has had a sprained wrist or something.

the guy has had a pretty horrid run of injuries and it's pretty much a given that he will have to be managed for the rest of his nba career.

if you had his career and ambition to keep playing basketball would you

a) take the cautious approach, knock back worlds and hold out some mild optimistic hope of playing in the olympics if you can get fit.

or

b) put your hand up for a world cup spot , when your not fully fit and inbetween injuries. taking a spot from another guy who is fit and probably itching to go to worlds because he wants to prove himself

all these idiots who call him soft. lol. bogut is aggressive as. when i saw that elbow injury i winced. i still do thinking about it. he is out there playing the game and people in here behind their keyboards want to call him soft because they what? played a bit of local ball in their day.

Reply #479519 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

So many keyboard warriors, so little time.

Reply #479535 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

Good job Phil.

It is a shame about Bogut, but move on. As plent have mentioned Baynes, Jawai & co will get to prove their worth.

Reply #479557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 out of these 11 to the worlds.

4 PF - Bairstow, Johnson, Motum, Petrie.
4-5 PF/C - Baynes, Anderson, Knight.
5 C - Jawai, Ogilvy, Neville, Maric.

My pick:
Bairstow(PF), Anderson(PF/C), Baynes(PF/C), Jawai(C), Ogilvy(C).
with...
Dellavedova(PG), Mills(PG/SG), Exum(PG/SG), Goulding(SG), Newley(SG/SF), Ingles(SG/SF), Simmons(SF/PF).

Reply #479565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone putting exum in this worlds team, he's way to young and inexperienced, to play at this level yet, give the kid time I am sure he will be a boomer in a few years but not now he's straight out of school.

Reply #479570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Has he ever not been injured for a Worlds or Olympics? Must have been like one appearance?"

He played 04, 06 and 08 and wants to finish off in 2016. Funnily enough, Luc Longley played 88, 90 and 92 and then finished off in 2000.

Reply #479571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever stop to think that he is always injured because he doesn't push himself to get fit enough, I mean come on world is what 2 or 3 weeks of games not even back to back, if your a fit enough athlete you can manage that and still play your regular game, these guys are not 50 yr olds they are supposed to be in their prime. I'd tell him thanks but no thanks re Olympics, he's weak as water, get him a Zimmer frame he obviously needs one lol.

Reply #479572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can name a fitness component lacking that would have stopped his freak elbow injury I would love to hear it.
Ankle, landed on a guys foot and had microfracture surgery, which if you look at past players with procedures done to their knees, is a very long recovery time.
Rib got broken right next to a lung? Which exercises can help with this?

Reply #479581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well maybe it's time he hang up his boots

Reply #479584 | Report this post

Boomerz  
Years ago

Wow, I can't believe the ignorance of some people. How about thinking about the fact that the guy has a 12 million dollar contract per year to consider and has in the past repeatedly defied his clubs wishes to play for us.

I'm sure if he had gone through the season 100% and was feeling good he would play. If he had a niggling injury I'd dare say he'd have pulled out and with broken rib thats prevented him playing the playoffs I think most people are deluded to think he was going to be in the team at all.

Reply #479595 | Report this post

Boomerz  
Years ago

Plus, if we can give the youngsters a great run through these Worlds and post a good result then if we get a healthy Bogut in for the 2016 Olympics then we have Dante coming into his 4th year of the NBA, Ben going into his second and Thon possibly just beeen drafted along with our peaking stars of Mills, Baynes, Delly and Ingles.

Would you rather him play now or then when we are a realistic medal chance

Reply #479596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you get Dante exum in his 4 th yr of NBA when he hasn't even started playing in it yet and it 2014 now!!!! He will be in his second and still on limited minutes

Reply #479598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Simmons hasn't even finished high school yet so certainly won't be in his second

Reply #479599 | Report this post

Boomerz  
Years ago

My bad, I was thinking forward to 2018. Still the point still stands as those guys who will be the backbone will be much better than they are today and we have amuch higher chance of medalling in Brazil than Spain

Reply #479607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the 2019 WC is the time when those young guys will start to shine, so I don't agree with setting aside the current group that has developed over a number of years now to start developing too many of the next group well ahead of time.

Reply #479608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I posted a year ago there would be some excuse he would not play, weak as piss!
So Un-Australian.

Reply #479609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luc Longley didn't play for the Boomers from 1992-2000 and used to be pilloried for it so not sure why Bogut needs to be treated with kid gloves when he hasn't played a game for the Boomers for 6 years and might never do so again.

Reply #479625 | Report this post

The Key  
Years ago

Bogut would play for Croatia injured !
Saw the Aussie Abroad special where they toured his house, the pool room was a shrine to his heritage.. anyhow, like cricket and soccer the coach needs to pick players who think it's a privilege to play for Australia.

Reply #479660 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

ah shit. imagine that, an australian with european heritage and proud of it.

ive never seen that before. how dare he not renounce his former country. what are we? former communist china?

Reply #479670 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

The Key is a troll

Reply #479671 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Why is everyone putting exum in this worlds team, he's way to young and inexperienced, to play at this level"

2004: Bogut, 19 years old, leads Boomers in rebounds, 2nd in points.

2008: Mills, 19 years old, leads Boomers in points.

I personally think Exum is not at the same level of dominance that either Mills or Bogut were at that age, not as polished, but I've seen enough of Exum play junior world competitions to see that it would be foolish to not give him an 11th/12th spot at least, especially as he is projected as a top 5 draft pick. Like Bogut in 2004 and Mills in 2008, he might surprise and take up a big role on the team.

Worst case, he might end up being a 1998 Drmic, a 20-year-old selected as a 11th/12th man based largely on potential, who never made the Boomers again, but so what? (For the record, I didn't think that selection was a mistake then or now, as I was an advocate of selecting Drmic in subsequent Boomers teams; same with Dwight).

"How about thinking about the fact that the guy has a 12 million dollar contract per year to consider and has in the past repeatedly defied his clubs wishes to play for us."

I view this the opposite way. To me it shows how great it is that we have guys willing to risk and sacrifice their salaries, who are far less financially secure than Bogut is. Bogut is set already. Anyway, he would have to be insured to play, so the "12 million dollar contract" argument is a bit of a distraction. The injury concerns, coming back prematurely, that is a totally legitimate reason to not play. Wish he could though. The Boomers would be totally different with him on the team.

Reply #479690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be interesting to see if mills plays in the worlds

Reply #479694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754