Rav
Years ago

Joel Embiid suffered stress fracture in right foot

"Joel Embiid suffered a stress fracture to the navicular bone in his right foot," Embiid's agent, Arn Tellem, said. "He is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. Joel will be unable to participate in any additional workouts, and will not attend the draft in New York. We will have no further comment until after the surgery."

The navicular bone is at the top of the foot, near the ankle. NBA team sources suggest this is a difficult bone to heal because of circulation issues. Sources say Embiid could be out four to six months. Some evidence, according to sources, indicates these types of stress fractures also are at great risk of recurrence. Because of that, Embiid is no longer likely to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. The question is, how far will he fall?

Chad Ford has him dropping to the magic at 4th based on this injury.
1 - Wiggins
2 - Parker
3 - Exum

Topic #34711 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could drop even further than fourth with Greg
Oden still fresh in the minds of GM's. I see him going 6-10, the red flags on his health (His back, knee and now foot) are far too much to gamble a top 5 pick on.

Reply #479552 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Celtics should roll the die if he drops out of the 5.

Next year is still a rebuild, and he is worth the risk.

Reply #479555 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Damn that's relly unfortunate, he should still be drafted top 10

Reply #479562 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

really

Reply #479563 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why would this make him slide? Unless its setting off alarm bells about being injury prone or this being more serious yhan advertised, this shouldnt affect his stock. But it will...

Reply #479610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bad timing but it really mixes things up with the picks. Do the Cavs take him anyway, do they go with the next best, or do they trade the pick to someone willing to do either of those things? Could be a defining moment for them and for another team willing to trade and show patience.

Parker and Wiggins both share LeBron's position so makes little sense if they fancy their chances with LBJ.

Reply #479614 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Id be taking him either way unless his medical is showing this is a chronic issue.

Reply #479620 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think he falls a bit. No way Cleveland takes him. They will remember Ilgauskas and Daugherty too and will want no part of another 7 footer with bad feet.

I think they take Wiggins and try to trade him to Philly for the #3 and a player or two.

The Bucks have Sanders and appear to want a scorer they can plug in straight away, so Parker will probably be their pick.

Philly wants Wiggins bad, so I think they pick whoever Cleveland wants here. Maybe Exum, but could just as easily be Vonleh or Gordon or Randle.

I doubt Orlando takes a risk on Embiid when they have Vucevic already.

Utah, probably not worth the risk for them when they have Favors and Kanter.

I could see Danny Ainge taking the gamble @ #6 and this both excites me and terrifies me. In some ways you take a gamble on a franchise altering player like Embiid, but I've just seen this movie of a big man with constant foot problems too many times before to think it won't happen again.

I guess if both Gordon and Vonleh are gone, I'd be pretty tempted to roll the dice on Embiid as I'm not excited by Randle or Smart really.

Reply #479626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason he will slide is that he has only been playing ball for 4 years and has multiple serious injuries already. The back and the foot are both stress related injuries...how is he going to fair playing 82 games + playoffs every year? He might be fine but why do you take a risk with so much other talent in the Top 5?

The cavs can't afford to strike out yet again so they take whoever they rate higher out of Wiggins & Parker and move on.

My picks are
1. Cavs - Wiggins
2. Bucks - Parker
3. 6ers - Exum
4. Magic - Smart
5. Jazz - Vonleh
6. Celtics - Embiid
7. Lakers - Randle
8. Kings - Payton
9. Hornets - Gordon
10. 6ers - Saric

Reply #479627 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Could see the Cav's draft Wiggins and look to trade with Philly for Young plus #3 draft pick and Wroeton.

Reply #479632 | Report this post

Unbiased aussie  
Years ago

Exum will go number 1 to Cavs. Cavs will trade Varejao for Baynes and Patty. I think they will pick up Goulding from his summer camp visit too. New Cavs lineup:

Exum/Kyrie/Patty
Delly/Patty
Goulding
Baynes

Reply #479644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ehh hahaha ;)

Unfortunate for him obviously and as a Philly fan, not good news at all. One thing I will say, however, is that it will make this one crazy draft night!

Reply #479657 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well whoever he slides to is going to get the steal of the decade because he's by far the best player in this deep draft class.

Reply #479674 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not much good having the best player in the draft Mick if he only plays 4 or 5 injury interrupted years and then retires! Foot injuries are seriously bad news for 7 footers.

Reply #479716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754