Isaac
Years ago

Crocs to announce Steindl signing, second import

Worst kept secret in the NBL? ATF is calling it.

The Townsville Crocs are set to announce the signing of Australian swing man and former Cairns Taipans player, Clint Steindl.

At the end of last season Steindl decided not to re-sign with the Cairns Taipans, saying he wanted to explore his options overseas. However he has now decided to stay in Queensland and signed with state rivals the Townsville Crocs.
Townsville have also decided on their second import and will make another announcement next week some time.
Full article

Topic #34759 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

It will be really interesting to see if Townsville have promised him a starter's role, because there really isn't room for him in the first 5.

Hope this is a breakout year for him. Will fit perfectly into the system that they finally got up and running in the last few rounds of last season.

Is Conklin returning? You'd think they would have bagged him by now if that was the case...

Reply #480310 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You would also have to say Townsville have the best crop of under 25 talent in the league now...

Reply #480311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Conklin told NZ media he had an announcement coming soon so maybe...

Reply #480314 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Mick, I think I've found room...

Markovic (9) / Norton (3)
Steindl (6) / Djeric (3)
Blanchfield (7) /
Conklin (10) / Holmes (7)
Gladness (10) /

Are Vanderjagt and/or Kenny likely to return? They would round out a pretty well-balanced roster IMO.

Reply #480320 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'-You would also have to say Townsville have the best crop of under 25 talent in the league now...'

So Mick after finishing bottom last year and only adding Steindl they now have the best under 25 talent? Looks like talent didn't win you much last season, and playing in a tin shed now will be all inspiring for this best under 25 group.(is under 25 that young?)

Reply #480323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't really care about the Crocs roster, but claiming to have the best young list doesn't necessarily mean anyone's claiming they're going to win in the short term.

Reply #480324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

need another Guard to round out the roster
Perhaps Dillon or Bartlett could slot in ?

assuming that PC is done for the crocs

Reply #480329 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A, rather than a pot shot, why not list which team has better under 25 talent?

Reply #480370 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Steindl is a SF, to try and squeeze him into the SG position is questionable. Looks like he'd be playing behind Blanchfield. Not sure why he'd want to play off the bench, unless they're planning on running Blanchfield at PF?

Reply #480377 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Sydney Paul? Before people start mentioning talent why not discuss what these players bring to the table? Steindl is the only real talent with potential on that team(Blanchfield great talent, but how many more years until he proves he is a game breaker).

The other players are very limited with the skills they have and without an import SG, the Crocs will always finish towards the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #480380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns in the mix?

Gliddon
Bruce
Young
Maynard

Reply #480383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Norton and Blanchfield are both ahead of Steindl for mine, and I would agree Cairns are right up there for young talent.

Reply #480402 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Norton and Blanchfield are both ahead of Steindl for mine'

Please Paul, you are joking!!!!!!

Reply #480404 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wouldn't class Steindl as being ahead of Blanchfield or Norton at this stage. Blanchfield would get the start over Steindl any day.

Reply #480413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl was in the Boomers team against China and Blanchfield & Norton weren't, for reasons the better judges than us might know about.

Reply #480435 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Remember how young Blanchfield is. Almost 23. Still got lots of time to prove himself.

Reply #480436 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Norton is 21 and had similar stats (PPG 6.7 APG 2.5 RPG 1.4) to Steindl who is 25 (PPG 7.9 APG 1.2 RPG 2.525) last year.

Blanchfield is two years younger at almost 23 with physically similar tools to Steindl and had better stats (PPG 10.4 APG 1.4 RPG 4.9) last year.

To say Steindl is the only one with upside is crazy. All three are young and will continue to improve, but you could easily make a case that based on their age and contributions to their teams both Norton and Blanchfield are ahead of Steindl.

So sorry A, but I'll give the points decision to Paul on that one. Welcome Steindl all the same.

Reply #480458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd prefer Blanchfield too over Steindl.

Reply #480477 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'I'd prefer Blanchfield too over Steindl.'

Isaac, they are two completely different players, Blanchfield is an athletic SF and Steindl is a pure SG(with great size). I would always pick Steindl first, purely on his skill set, players like him don't come around that often.

And the guys comparing the stats with the other players have you looked into minutes played??

Reply #480489 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Steindl is a pure SG(with great size) "

I thought Steindl was a SF ?
I was under the impression he played SF in college also

Reply #480492 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Blanchfield for mine is a better rebounder, defender, ball-handler, slasher and his 40% three-point shooting was only 1% behind Steindl last year. I also think Todd is a fiercer competitor.

As for Mitch, top-notch defender, outstanding at getting to the line and converting from there, improving PG (2:1 A:TO) and has gone from a poor perimeter shooter to 40% last season.

I'd like to have both Todd and Mitch on my team if I was choosing one, Clint has potential but I'm not sold on him as a competitor yet, particularly at the defensive end.

Reply #480496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re their minutes played: Blanchfield 25mpg, Steindl 20, Norton 19.

Reply #480497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A PG and a PF are completely different players. A SG/SF and a SF are not completely different. And I'd be picking one ahead of the other - position doesn't necessarily apply.

Reply #480505 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am a big fan of Blanchfield and find him to be underrated. Why he didn't make the Sino team I cant figure out..

Reply #480506 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Guys stop beating up on me:), Paul lets agree to disagree, individual stats are great but they don't win you games. Blanchfield a very good player but not match winner.

If I'm building a team I'm starting with a match winner(Steindl) types followed by very good players.

I agree Isaac but its a massive difference between a Pure Shooter and a competent shooter.

Reply #480507 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Happy to agree to disagree, but I think Blanchfield is more of a matchwinner than Clint too. Will be interesting to see how they work together this year.

I think Blanchfield was struggling with injury during the pre-Sino camp and hence didn't make the team. He certainly performed in the green and gold last year (as did Steindl).

Reply #480515 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I think they will work together well considering the are both from Mackay and playing there in the QBL I believe.

Reply #480521 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Guys stop beating up on me:), haha!

Personally A - I think mick started it with this call....

"You would also have to say Townsville have the best crop of under 25 talent in the league now..."

Whether one is better than the other will always be up for debate, just happy as a crocs fan that we have three great young talents at the club. Plus mirko who is only 19 I would be one of the youngest guys in the nbl and will continue to improve.

Reply #480526 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Blanchfield is decent at both ends, I'd take him over the other 2 (Norton & Steindl).

Reply #480673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754