Flinders80
Years ago

Diaw vs Mills - GM Perspective

Put your GM hats on. Thought I would pose a question.

Mills (25) signs 3 yr ~$12 mill
Diaw (32) signs 3 yr ~$22 mill

Who is worth more to a franchise?

Mills
2013-14 Playoffs
PPG 7.3
RPG 1.5
APG 1.4
SPG 0.7
BPG 0.0
FG% 0.447
FT% 0.769
3P% 0.405
MPG 15.3

Diaw
2013-14 Playoffs
PPG 9.2
RPG 4.8
APG 3.4
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.1
FG% 0.500
FT% 0.688
3P% 0.400
MPG 26.3

Just thought it would be in an interesting debate.

Topic #34840 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Diaw.

Here's a funny Diaw story from his early days, maybe hard to believe given his current frame:

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

Reply #481974 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Could you imagine how impressive Diaw would be if he actually worked out

Reply #481975 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

funny story btw isaac

Reply #481976 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Great story Isaac,

I'm not sure at 32 that Diaw is ~$10 mill better to a franchise over the next 3 years. More to the point, at 35, will he be more worth ~$3 mill than Mills. This is always funny to see what players are paid and what is believe to be their true worth to a franchise.

Reply #481977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily Diaw.

Reply #481979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diaw the more important player. The Patty deal is a better result for the Spurs though.

Diaw slightly overpaid, Patty slightly underpaid.

Reply #481980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diaw is worth it. His smarts and versatility are priceless. Best passing big of all time.

Reply #481993 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flinders, Diaw had a big impact in that Miami series - his minutes rose as they went deeper. 4-1 against the reigning champs in a crucial role.

Did you notice how Duncan (another smart forward) has still had a big impact in his late 30s even as his athleticism fades? I think Diaw will be able to do similar.

Reply #482001 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yep gotta love Diaws smarts and passing ability.

Mills played his role well too, i reckon a player like Diaw is rarer and therefore more valuable

He is sort of like the French LeBron, just doesnt quite score as much, but part of that could be his role on his team, when he gets good minutes he is a tripple double threat.

Reply #482003 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With no disrespect to Patty I would say Diaw.

Reply #482005 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Supply and demand as much as anything else.

There aren't many short, gunners with Patty's combination of quicks and efficiency. But there are even less bigs who can do what Diaw does.

There are still a lot of 6 foot, shoot-first guards in the world that make Patty easier to replace.

Reply #482016 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Diaw by a long shot.

Give me Diaw over Bosh to be honest.

His passing ability and smarts is the best in the NBA IMHO.

Reply #482026 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

The Duncan observation. Has anyone noticed how Tim has got lighter as he has aged. Thats helped the body survive.

Reply #482064 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Diaw is the answer. Patty's improvement is amazing but nothing that really surprises a lot of us here who knew what he could do. Excitingly he is still on the way up. Diaw though is such an important player at his peak, right here, right now.

Reply #482065 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Diaw is way more important, for so many reasons. Also, saying he's the best passing big is a slap in the face of Vlade Divac! Plus Diaw is a guard who just put weight on lol

Reply #482089 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Choppy Galopy, yeah i think thats helped.

I also have a new theory - swimming.

Duncan was an extremely good swimmer - i think that has helped with the durability of his body. No surprises really..swimming is by all accounts great for core strengthening. And when you consider how many injuries in the league relate to the core it shows how important it is.

Reply #482096 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

And Ricey, i think its pretty clear i meant the best among currently active players. If i meant the best of all time i would have said "ever"

Reply #482097 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Ricey. Saying Divac is the best passing big of all time is a slap in the face of Arvydas Sabonis.

Reply #482151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754