Annon
Years ago

State Premier Junior Basketball Friday night

So each week, after a great working week, you pack up and head off to the junior premier league of basketball in stadiums across SA , hope to have a full nights entertainment for the family ........

Turn the clocks back 5-7 years maybe

Tonight, arrive at Wayville, possibly best 2 stadiums in SA, no game on court 1 past U16 Div1 , nothing on Court 3 due to teams withdrawing in U18 girls 6 weeks before seasons end, no one able to use the bar facility due to no games, yet St Clair is full to the brim with games till 10.30

What is the competition turning up to be ???

Thoughts ???

Why have promo/relo if teams pull out 6 weeks before seasons end due to lack of numbers?

What about the fees paid for byes each and every week

This is not a premier league, just a money making. Junket for an out of date organisation

Topic #34988 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My team won by over 60 tonight. One of the kids looked at me and said "I feel like I'd get a tougher game playing social basketball".

Reply #484737 | Report this post

l  
Years ago

Pro / rel accross the board. Some sense of achievement moving up the grades, rather than this culture of "I know I will get a div 1 game at ...... club by just rolling up" . Notice a couple of teams dissapeared of sporting pulse without a mention in latest news or email out to advise of schedule changes. I agree re stadium usage but things like canteen takings ,due to play on home court advantage etc factor.

Reply #484742 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

would love it if the CABL played the same team as the Div 1 night.

i.e. sturt v fville CABL - same as juniors that week.

How is this for a brain explosion - wht not play a CABL round every now and then on court 1 on a Friday whilst juniors play court 2,3 or 4 - or juniors play an odd round on a saturday night ???

might get a few more out / interested.

Reply #484747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe we need to make it truly a premier league and run the Victorian League model of Representative/District Division 1 & 2 and a Metropolitan Regionalised Domestic Competition with and addition of a Metropolitan Domestic Playoff for the best Metro Regional Domestic Teams as a bonus, perhaps a State Champs Domestic Format so the players on the fringe of Rep basketball have a chance to be scouted by Division 1 & 2 teams. This would bring more players and compete against Netball/Football having a regionalised comp closer to home to allow balance between sports for those who are still trying to decide which they should chose and why not for those not in the top 2 divisions should be able to play other sports. However as the Victorian model works the Div 1/2 play Domestic as well and truly commit to the sport. They can boost a domestic side or play up a year level and strengthen their game.
We are already showing strength nationally and with Vic adopting Man/Man in Junior Juniors and not relying on bigs zoning the game is evolving and SA is well placed with a culture that encourages getting out of the key. It may also also better Ref development and reward to those who have developed into quality refs.

Reply #484749 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Unlucky to pick the only night for ages there hasn't been 12 games there. Try next Sunday when there will be 6 Junior Div 1 games in the morning and about 10 Youth League Div 1 games in the afternoon.

Reply #484750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is absolutely nothing for fringe guys, if your a good country player but not wasting your time with development squad, there is no way to even be scouted. I know of a few people from the country who have never played a district game then once they move to town for Uni walk straight onto a div 1/2 side. Imagine if these country guys played district 5 or 6 years earlier what they could be doing now...

Reply #484755 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Do Metro scouts go to Country carnivals? Do they get invited by country teams/clubs/associations?

Do country teams/clubs/associations even want to have 'city scouts' looking at recruiting their local talent?

Reply #484758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

755, you have got to be kidding. There are HEAPS of country kids playing district ball. I know of at least 3 clubs who are extremely active in attempting to entice country kids to the city to play.

Reply #484775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the club's that develop the country players. Country basketball take huge credit for developing players that have only progressed dueto the work of their district club.
It can be a huge trap recruiting country kids for s quick fix. They quite often aren't aroundthe following season and the metro kids you have disregardedhave shifted clubsor quit the sport all together.

Reply #484780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust me everything about country basketball is wrecked. Development is terrible... If sa country are taking credit then they are a joke. Every country guy I know have got out as soon as they could. It is an absolute joke. Anyone decent moves to town to progress

Reply #484886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No development, no future in this program.

Reply #484897 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

agree, turn the clock back 7 maybe even 8 years, remember Saturday morning, all three courts, four at least three timeslots - 8.30 9.30 10.30 11.30 sometimes even 12.30, stadium packed, kids, teams, parents, everywhere, - fast forward to 2014, Saturday morning ghost town, two timeslots maybe three, two courts maybe three, if you are lucky. A grandparent coming back to the sport thinks wow, basketball is dying, sad really, so much potential for a unisex sport, indoor facilities. What is the current administration doing to promote the sport and improve the situation.
From my perspective - nothing

Reply #485604 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

you are forgetting some things re the "good ol days"

u16 Div 3/4 girls went to a thursday night from saturday mornings

u12 and u14 div 2 went from saturday mornings to friday nights

u20/21s went to youth league.

so quite a change to the dynamic.

divisions remain around the same - maybe more u16 boys and youth league teams if anything

Reply #485623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754