Flinders80
Years ago

What is a true point guard

After reading the below statement on SB Nation, I'm let questioning what is a pure point guard.

"The only pure point guards currently on the Cavs' roster are Kyrie Irving and the recently-acquired John Lucas III (who may not stick around for long). Dion Waiters, Matthew Dellavedova, and LeBron James can all handle the ball, but given Irving's injury history, there is no doubt that they need to add another point guard"

My idea of a true point guard was a past first on court leader. An extension of the coach and a team orientated nature. Based on this ideal I think Delly is the only pure point guard on the favs team. Or am I being Aussie centric

Topic #34993 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

By the way the back ground story was that the CAVS are looking at signing Cherry

Reply #484868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people think a true point guard is someone who is "pass first" while being a good passer is obviously essential I dont think always looking to pass makes you a true PG

I think its a PG who makes the right decision whether it be pass or shoot...depending on what the defence is doing! Understands when a player is hot to run something to get them a look or if the team needs a lift can take over and score themselves!

I think the best example is Chris Paul. A great passer who understands his team mates and knows when and where to give them the ball but can also score 30+ if his team needs it

Reply #484877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is a true old school pg. Laughable to say otherwise

Reply #484888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a shoot first point guard would say the point should shoot more. After 35 years of watching basketball I can safety say that teems that have a point guard who likes to take 20+ shots a game will win the odd game that they shouldn't but will rarely win a. comp.

Reply #484891 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Krsti Harrower

Reply #484894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic Johnson, Steve Nash and Isiah Thomas. Managed the team, created scoring opportunities for others, controlled tempo and were scorers themselves. Magic is the best IMO. Australians, Phil Smyth, Michelle Timms stand out for mine.

Reply #484895 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

An outdated ideology used by people who still insist upon pigeonholing today's players.

Reply #484902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Delly is the example on that team.

Reply #484906 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Rondo.

Reply #484922 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

John Stockton

Reply #484923 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah dumb article by the sounds of it. Delly is clearly the purest PG on that roster. Moreso than Irving, who is more a scorer than a guy who sets his team-mates up thus far in his career. Probably written by Cherry's agent trying to get him a gig!

Reply #484925 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Delly is for sure but he's rarely been used in the NBA as a point guard at all, let alone a pure one, so for people who only have his pro career to go off it would be easy to make that mistake.

Reply #484962 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It is interesting how some media people still pigeon-hole players into positions on a basketball court, especially these days of combination guards and centre forwards etc!

The juorno' is behind the times, we now tend to read things like scoring guard, combination guard, pass first guard and alike.

Teams appear to run more than one guard on the floor to suit the game or their opponent's defensive structures, coaches care less about a point or shooter, they will ask a player to run point for a while and take the shot when open.

Saying Kyrie is a PG is ridiculous, his decision making is no where near Matt's regardless. In Kyrie's case it is, give him the ball and unleash him...

What is a true Point Guard? The answer certainly isn't in that article, but Delly is certainly as close to one that we will see now days!

Reply #485028 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Delly is/was perceived as a low-usage, playmaking SG. He's not considered a true PG because he is perceived as struggling to bring the ball up the floor against NBA pressure.

The Cavs could put him on the floor with the more ball-dominant guards like Kyrie and Waiters, and he'd make the right pass and hit open shots.

I have little doubt that he will change that perception, develop a tighter handle, and have a long career as a PG in the NBA.

For any that are curious the original article (and plenty of Delly related arguments) can be found at http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/7/25/5937369/cleveland-cavaliers-reportedly-interested-in-signing-will-cherry-to

Reply #485059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754