Steve Nash
Troy Hudson
Mike Bibby
Damon Stoudamire
Sam Cassell
Gary Payton
Chucky Atkins
Tyrone Lue

there big players but they cant dunk.why not?

Topic #3502 | Report this topic

They probably can. It's all 2 points my friend.

Reply #40464 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dunking not the all needs, how many players can step out to the three point line and constantly nail three point shots??? Every player you mentioned above Cheeze are pretty from the elbow....

I have never seen these guys take a three point shot:

Shaq
Nestrovic
Jerome James
Ilgaskus
Gadzuric
Shawn Bradley
Primoz Brezec
Eddie Curry
Tyson Chandler
Adonal Foyle
Eric Dampier
Mikki Moore
Big Ben Wallace
Curtis Borchardt
Samual Dalambert
Nenad Kristic
Jamal Magloire
Kandi Man

The list goes on. Two points is two points.

Reply #40467 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

oi my friends i know as well as anyone a rate a dunk as only two points.

Reply #40468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i bet that all these guys saying a dunk is only worth 2 points cant dunk :)

Reply #40469 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Often wonder why anyone that can dunk why would they do a layup on the fast break ... 2 points is 2 points but if u can dunk why not get 2 points with some style ...Maybe its the fact they have never dunked that the lack conferdence... Id say it would be come alot easyer to dunk after the first...

Reply #40470 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

So what, I can't dunk and I don't have any issue with that, or cry myself to sleep. It ain't that big of a deal.... It ain't my job, play the PG possie. More important to get the ball into the big fella's to dunk or run the offence. Try calling and setting up an offence on a full court press, watching the shot clock and then actually executing the offence, must harder than dunking....

Anon, let me guess.... new school!!!

Reply #40471 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

c'mon peoples - the cheeze wan't having a go a the dunk or the listed players, he was merely asking why not?

Anyhoo, I have seen Gary Payton dunk for the record in the '96 finals and when he hit the ground he turned around and slightly bumped into MJ and gave him a mouthful - i think it was game 4 in Seattle.

Must admit that I haven't seen the others listed dunk but then again, I haven't seen a lot of NBA in the last 5 or so years!

Reply #40473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasnt baggin' anyone, just saying that a dunk has the potential to get the crowd into it, lift your team more, and sometimes can be a blow to the oppositions confidence.

But yeah, i agree, much harder to run a team from the PG than to dunk.

btw, no im not "new school"

Reply #40475 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yeah, agree that a nasty dunk is a big motivator for everyone, or damn scary for the opposition, but I've probably seen more 3 point daggers that I've seen dunks change games.

I would say more people can dunk now than not dunk, but if a player is constantly dunking it, then it can be easier to defend and deny (double team, force them out of the paint etc etc)in the block then some trigger happy freak that is lighting it up from the carpark. In a team concept the freak constantly draining the three is much more dangerous than then bloke chucking down nasty dunks.

That ok, I'm speaking PG language....aka head up arse/world revolves around the PG syndrome lol. It's something they teach us at PG primary school.

Reply #40476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Nino cant dunk either!

Reply #40481 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

OK Cheeze, lets look at your original list.

Steve Nash - I have seen him dunk.

Troy Hudson
Mike Bibby
Damon Stoudamire

Sam Cassell - Have seen him dunk (very explosive)

Gary Payton - Have seen him dunk.

Chucky Atkins
Tyrone Lue

Just because you have not seen him dunk, doesnt mean he hasn't. I didn't see Lisa Leslie get the first dunk in the WNBA, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen!

Reply #40483 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

seen gary payton dunk in the finals against the bulls, and shaq has actually made 1 three pointer in his long and sucessful career against the bucks in 95? when he was still with the magic

Reply #40488 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Just for the record Big Ben bombed in a 3 last season. He has also hit a 3 a season for the Pistons in 00-01, 02-03, 03-04 and 04-05.

Sam Cassel also has pretty mad hops, when he wants to get up there.

Reply #40490 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Here's some others who have rarely dunk in a game - Deplorable in my opinion!:

- Manute Bol (although the rims in the Sudan League are aparently 18 feet high - a move made by the SBL commisioner because the avergae height of the playersd is 7ft 3")
- Kevin Bacon in the "Air up there" (and dont give me that 'old knee injury' excuse!)
- Jim Carrey's character in the Cable Guy (that dunk he threw down jumping off the opposition's back was clearly an offensive foul)
- Woody Harrelson in White Men can't Jump (although he can 'shoot for Sudan' like no ones business)
- Jason Joynes (although the big fella does some meen backboard taps at Wed night social off some graceful passes by Panther and I)
- The U/12 Sturt Girls Team (although that's because Wayne is against Windmill slams in this age group)

Reply #40491 | Report this post

dermie  
Years ago

Jason Sedlock. One since Santa Clara as far as i know..

Reply #40492 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Good call by both Liam and dermie! It used to be quite amusing trying to watch the big fella get up in warm ups! I must confess, I have seen Sedlock dunk in a game, towards the end of last season. He pulled out one of the ugliest hawaiin shirts i've seen to wear out after the game. Supposedly it's his dunk shirt, so he had to dust it off as it hadn't seen the light of day since his college days!!!!
But seriously, how could you put Tyronne Lue on that list, he is only 5yrs old...

Reply #40498 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

TR - I believe Big Z knocked a 3 bomb to send a Cavs vs Suns game into OT early in the season. :-)

Reply #40502 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm sure that all the player I've listed have knocked down a three or two, just I've never seen them do it. Why don't they shoot more three's then?????

Reply #40524 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

come on liam, billy hoyle caught that mad alley oop from sydney dean to beat 'the king and the duck!!!'

Reply #40533 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze .. after about 1997 .. very rare to see him go upstairs .. How many hundreds of times did we see him steal it mid court and lay it up a-la John Stockton!!
Stockton was 6-1 .. Gaze at 6-7 or so should have used the one hander jam a lot more IMO !!

Reply #40534 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Kriss - I didn't count that dunk because he shouldn't have even played in the game....why you would give up Gloria, who was going to earn millions from Jeopardy ("what is a quince?"), for a two on two game with a bloke, who sold tiles for a living, is beyond me.

Terrible decision by Billy!

Reply #40538 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yes i can dunk.i just dont spend time working on it.i can dunk without much effort.i dont devote bball training to dunking unlike 80% of basketballers at a young age-16-20

Reply #40553 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

go for the rep on the streets over the girl!!!
she was pretty sweet though!
i wish they would make a sequel to that movie.
white men can't dunk!!

Reply #40554 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

can u hacks read;i said 'rarley'dunk.can you under 18's bballers get out of this thread.

Reply #40555 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

biz Z is a outside shooter by the way.he has knock down a trey his time

Reply #40556 | Report this post

I agree with Cheezeburger. When I am at training and see nothing but the under 18's (and some under 20's) trying to dunk all the time it fills my heart with sorrow. Why not practice shooting or ball skills instead, you might have a chance to dunk it about once a game, but you sure as hell dribble and shoot a lot more than that!

Reply #40558 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Billy hoyle did it for the game people! Plus Gloria had the most annoying voice ever. Her other assests were pretty impressive, such as her knowledge of foods that start with the letter Q.

Gaze did one massive dunk over Cecil Exum of Geelong Supercats. Cecil played in Jordans NCAA Championship team. If only he knew his career would end with Andrew "Gravity" Gaze posterizing him

(Mod: I have been informed that it was Darren Rowe, not Cecil Exum.)

Reply #40560 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Kriss,

Would you have the same actors come back in the sequal? Maybe the story would be that Billy & Sidney reunite for one last hoorah on the asphalt courts of Southern Cal in a last ditch attempt to recapture their youth. They end up pick and rolling the young streetballers to death and become the 2005 version of the "King & the Duck".

Or you could do a 'prequel' called "White Boys cant Jump" and pair Lil Bow Wow and Jonathan Lipnicki together. I could see the trash talking seen now:

LBW: "Yo mumma so fat, her favourite food is seconds!"

Crowd of Youths: "Ohhhhh, he dissed you white boy!"

JL: "Yeah, well yo mumma so ugly, when she applied for the ugly contest they said "sorry no professionals".

Reply #40570 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Eastern im sure u and cheeze have been through that stage and it was kool when you guys do it but when younger ones develop it, it aint?

I agree that its embaressing, but everyone has to go through it!

Reply #40576 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

i think that alot of people would not dunk it on the fast break because it takes alot of effort and there tired not that i would no but that would be a good reason why not?

Reply #40587 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

satue of liberty thats where your wrong.me and the great man never participated in ant dunking sessions.we stepped aside and worked on our post moves.while we were scoring 2 points they were rolling ankles and cracking foreheads open and breaking arms.

Reply #40589 | Report this post

I've never worked on my dunking, anyway. One day I was just able to do it. I will do one or two in the warm ups just to see if I can get up there (Some days I can't :( ) but I never really practice it or anything. It's just pointless.

Reply #40600 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

ELG and Cheezy...your views on dunking are admirable. I am ashamed to say I went through the dunking stage early in my high flying days...but now concentrate on the fundamentals of the game. However, the flying guard is not gone...and will return to the skies at a court near you.

Reply #40658 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

sir spark my only ever dunking stage was on nba live 02,03,04,05.those are the days.

Reply #40686 | Report this post

Detroit Lover  
Years ago

STEVE NASH CAN'T DUNK!!!

Reply #42453 | Report this post

meach  
Years ago

well Tyrone Lue has ups cuz we played in High School when i went to belton and he went to raytown and there was one time in our high school tournament when he went baseline and went up but got hit and he was up there, but then on the next break for the other team he blocked a shot that was on top of the square on the back board so he has ups.

Reply #45665 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

damon stoudamire is 5'9-5'10 of course he can't dunk.
seen every other player on that list dunk apart fom 5'10 chucky atkins, bibby is da best dunk!

Reply #47080 | Report this post

David N  
Years ago

it doesn't matter how small u are u can be 5'10 and 360 or cock it back and i have witnessed all this

Reply #48190 | Report this post

@ Detroit Lover, (#42453)

how do you know steve nash can't dunk. athletic 6'3 canadian. i bet he can hammer it hard

Reply #63654 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

When has Steve Nash dunked?

Don't say Damon can't dunk just cos he is 5'9. Spudd Webb is 5'5 does that mean he can't dunk?

Reply #63714 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

52-Cans ....Spud Webb was listed at 5'7"......and he had a great vertical leap

Even muggsy bogues who was a mere 5'3" had a 40 inch vertical leap

Spud had a 42 inch

Reply #63828 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Yeh yeh I was close enough with height lol, that's not the argument here bro.

xztatik just stereotyped small people for not being able to dunk, I just merely proved him wrong :D

Anyway, when has Steve Nash ever dunked?

Reply #63830 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Muggsy reportedly could dunk tennis balls, but couldn't dunk a basketball because he couldn't grip/palm the ball.

Reply #63832 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

That's nuts, could he get close to a 2 handed dunk?

Reply #63833 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Nope....Never have i seen Nash dunk in a Game........but that aint his job

Id rather have his stats in todays game

28pts, 22 assists, 5 rebounds and 4 turnovers

Do you think he cares if he can dunk or not......lol......posting stats like that

Im sure Marions career high of 39 probably was helped by atleast 8 of those 22 Nash Assists

Reply #63837 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Jameer Nelson got up there for a one hander recently. Nothing special but he's what 5'10? and looks more stocky than athletic.

Reply #63929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i remember jason joynes attemted dunk when he was in the NBL (Geelong) picture this Geelong down by shit loads big fella open court (because he does not play D) and hangs himself on the ring and lands flat on his back it was so funny it made the play of the day on wide world of sports max walker was pissing himself laughing

Reply #63942 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

More Muggsy Bogues dunking quotes from the www:

"He dunked volleyballs at Wake Forest. Don't think I've ever heard of him managing to do it with a real ball - hand isn't big enough."

"This is correct. He would be able to dunk if he could palm the ball. He does have amazing jumping ability but his hands aren't big enough to dunk it. There have been rumours that people have seen him dunk in warmups."

Reply #64444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that Mike Bibby can dunk. I've seen him dunk twice. He dunks fairly well.

Reply #163512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that Mike Bibby can dunk. I've seen him dunk twice. He dunks fairly well.

Reply #163514 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Reply #164075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Nash, Mike Bibby, Sam Cassell, Gary Payton have all dunked in games.

Reply #181525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754