Jack Toft
Years ago

R18 CABL Action

It's the last minor round of CABL. For some players and coaches it will be season end, and for some it will be over and out, some by choice, some not.

West v Norwood @ Port Adelaide
Women: Hard to see the Flames drop this one, but West will be looking for a major upset and hope results fall their way to sneak into the 5...
Men: GOTR. Norwood still up for the Minor Premiership, but must win and hope the Mavs skin the Warriors alive. West have enjoyed a guest appearance by DJ and I’m not too sure if he is playing, or has headed off, but West could tumble to 4th even with a win if the Lions prevail. My kiss of death goes to Norwood. They should win this one to firm up their confidence and show they are a formidable team, or else be tagged as easybeats under pressure by other teams come the major round.

South v Centrals @ Marion Tin Shed
Women: Panthers by 51 last time and it shouldn’t be as much this time but KB will be focussing on the Sixers come Sunday morning.
Men: Pressure on the Lions to get the win and secure a second chance finals spot in the battle of the Big Cats. South could Boal them over, but Lions faithful have already spent their ciggie money screen printing "Miller Time" t-shirts. A loss for the Lions would see them hexiled to 4th spot.

Sturt v Southern @ Pasadena
Women: All the pressure on Sturt not to drop this one and snatch that home final off of the Wockets. Unless the Sabres stay home to watch the Commonwealth Games, I think it’s pretty safe to start to hang the balloons in the rafters for a home final.
Men: Not the fairy tale season for Sturt’s “iron man” punters had hoped for, but they have one last shot at redemption against the Tigers on home court. Nothing ever goes to plan, just ask Clovelly Park residents.

Warriors v Mavs @ St Clair
Women: Mavs will be dangerous. Warriors out of the 5, but a win here should give them season bragging rights over their black and red neighbours. In fact they have the split over them, so should jump them in the final table unless the Mavs clock in for one last hurrah.
Men: With finals locked in, the Warriors will be doing enough to secure the win early on and then clear the bench to allow their stars the luxury of a rest. Expect a few U18’s to play some minutes as Woodville wrap their stars in cotton wool.

Eagles v Rockets @ Wayville
Women: GOTR. Looks like the top 4 spots are pretty much set in Adelaide Brighton, and 5th spot should be Forestville’s. For Forestville to tumble out of the 5, they need to lose and West need to smash the Flames like guitars by about 50 points - when was the last time the Lady Flames were smashed like guitars?
Men: You would expect Eagles to tame the Rockets, but this dead rubber is very much a danger game for our apple munching feathered friends. North would be disappointed with their season and with this their last chance to show form and break their 9 loss streak.

Topic #35024 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Nice write-up Jack.

Does anyone else remember Miller-time? I thought I was being poisoned the last time I drank that stuff; just as bad as our old Southwark 'Green Death.'

I pretty much agree with your predictions, Norwood women by more than 50.

Reply #485654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs men should be playing their U18s as well Jack, so maybe the club plans to have a future. Oh! wait a minute they have no U18 boys ((

Reply #485655 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Jack, you escaped in a time of 37.6 sec with your Hexiled reference.

Reply #485657 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bo, its a very addictive game.

DAMN YOU ISAAC !

Reply #485658 | Report this post

MSN!  
Years ago

Jack... Whats KB focussing on sunday with the Sixers for? They got something on?

Reply #485659 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Come Sunday morning, his CABL season is over, so his entire focus can be on the Sixers.

Reply #485661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not quite on topic but being it is the last round for many are there any players unlikely to continue on next year which we should acknowledge?

Reply #485663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt the shortest team in the league with a whole lot of youth. Not as bad as it looks. 2 teams with internationals in them fly in and out to sneak a few wins and Sturt wearing a loss of 5 from last season to college, amongst other things. Missing an injured big man and a young rejigged team with a first time coach. I would say they have put in some exciting games down to the wire and pulled of some great wins. Inconsistency and other disappointments may be a sign of youth and experience or more to it. But overall I would not be too disappointed if it was my club. Sturt are doing their job of developing youth and packing them off to the big wide courts of Australia and the World. More leaving at seasons end again, so I would say if this was comparable to a parent preparing their kids to go off to Uni, college and beyond, I would say they have done a their job well...… Not so bad after all…..

Reply #485665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many ex Sturt are in overseas or WNBL & NBL leagues?

Must be a hell of a lot!

I know where I'll be sending my kids to develop!

Reply #485668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville?

Reply #485672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing like justifying in your own minds why you didn't make finals.

Reply #485674 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

how quickly a civil CABL discussion denigrates into a Sturt/Forestville slanging match.

yawn..

Reply #485678 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Right on Cat im Firestville but it gets a bit sad all the anonymous slagging i wonder how some of yhese keyboard basketballers would go on rhe court themselves?

Reply #485699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the looks of that post, what I'm actually wondering is how Hero Dad would go on a keyboard.

Reply #485714 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Great work Jack.

Have been off the radar recently but will attempt some write ups for finals.

My tips:

West v Norwood

Women - Norwood by 21
Men - Norwood by 2

South v Centrals

Women - South by 55
Men - Centrals by 19

Sturt v Southern

Women - Sturt by 37
Men - Sturt by 20

Woodville v Eastern

Women - Woodville by 18
Men - Woodville by 31

Forestville v North

Women - North by 9
Men - Forestville by 22

Reply #485742 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

North v Forestville Women?

Reply #486070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not sure if I read that right, but the stats show that Emma Hooley got 30 rebounds, which is almost as Woodville got as a whole!

Reply #486079 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Hooley had 11pts and 19reb at half time!

Reply #486094 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville women won

Reply #486106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754