interested
Years ago

joyce and the Opals

feedback early on was joyce was getting on well with the Opals players.

How is he going after a few camps and tours?

Interested as he is new to coaching women.

Topic #35041 | Report this topic

phillip  
Years ago

his daughter dates afl star jaeger omeara haha. Off topic but interesting for some ppl.

Reply #486111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plays favourites - big time

Reply #486181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plays favourites - big time

Reply #486182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not like any other opals coach. I mean Carrie Graf never played favourites did she LOL

Reply #486187 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

i have heard rumours that not all players are "happy campers."

Reply #486194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to get a group of 12 girls all happy together in any situation.

Seems like a lot of training and camps etc for these girls when ideally 3 players will come back (LJ, Erin and penny) and play 30 minutes plus a game during the tournament.

Reply #486199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure any of those will play 30+ throughout the tourny, especially Lauren and Penny at their ages. I would think Joyce will go for quality over quantity.

Reply #486201 | Report this post

mario milano  
Years ago

ones that get what they want will be happy ones that don't will not be. We need to remember what won it for us in 2000 and something wont work in 2014. is delle donne out for team usa ?

Reply #486204 | Report this post

mario milano  
Years ago

sorry "same thing"

Reply #486205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce plays favourites for different reasons to Graf, and he has obsessions over some players namely Lavey and Burton.
He wasn't a good choice for opals coach at all. He should be comfortably beating teams they train against, they should have smashed that un20 BOYS team, and apparently they also lost the army basketball team. Jackson is at e very end of her years now too many injuries to unfit for too long to come back and be a huge influence, Taylor not so much.

Reply #486228 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

Of course joyce plays favourites, just look at the minutes his son got under him in the nbl haha

Reply #486246 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

not sure with the statement above "they should have smashed the U20m country team".

I expected the u20m team to win easily. U20m are faster, jump higher , bigger and more athletic allround than a women's team. In all sports a rep u20 mens team will thrash the open aged women. (golf and tennis included)

Reply #486251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure with the statement above "they should have smashed the U20m country team".

I expected the u20m team to win easily. U20m are faster, jump higher , bigger and more athletic allround than a women's team. In all sports a rep u20 mens team will thrash the open aged women. (golf and tennis included)
Did they have one as big as Lizzie Cambage under the basket, or the court smarts of the older players, think about it, yes they may be more athletic and can jump but their brains are never in gear. As for tennis and golf, show me one un20 that can beat the best in the world in either sport with probably one or two exceptions as in tiger woods and Federre when they were young.
A good coach should have been able to use what he had to his advantage

Reply #486262 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

on size, most of the u20m can dunk 2 handed, they are smart, they are the pick of the u20 country players. The women cannot get a shot up in the key. The speed and leap of the men generates plenty of turn overs. I watched the game and the u20 men went easy on them. They did not attack the key or the score would have been a huge blow out. Get you youth league men to play your top womens team and see the result.

are you joking re the golf and tennis? The power of a u20 male is so far ahead of women it is unbelievable. Going back many yrs, bobby riggs who was about 60yrs old beat from memory billy jean king? when she was at her prime. A 20yr old would flog a 60yr old at tennis.

Reply #486264 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

further to the difference in boys and girls athletically, have a look at aust age swimming records.

18yr girls records are slower than 13/14 boys in most cases. ( a few are close)

Reply #486273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your talking about the opals...not most women, hence why the question re Joyce a good enough coach, surely the best women in the country should be able to handle un20 country players, many of whom possibly would not even make a boomers squad or a state team for that matter as they do not have un20 state teams made up purely of country players.

Reply #486288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, your wrong.

I would expect most U18 State teams to beat the National Womens team.

When Brad Newley was U18, he played against the National womens team and it was not even close. Not only did he dunk on them numerous times, they couldn't get a shot off in the key.

Reply #486296 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

thks last poster, that is how it is.

Reply #486313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joyce must add the following to the next tour/camp:

francis (seabl avg 23.3pts 12.2 rbds)
cumming (seabl avg 20.6pts 4.5rbds 4.3ast)
richards(if available) (seabl avg 20.6pts 12rbds)
wilson(if available)(seablavg 21.9pts 7rbds 7.1ast)
kunek(if available)

bishop(if allowed) (seabl avg 18.8pts 14 rbds)
o'hea (if she wants to)

to trial over...
burton(francis), tolo(richards), madgen(cumming), lavey(wilson), jarry(kunek) and hodges(bishop).

the only ones who have cemented a place in my book are.
Mitchell, Hurst, Phillips, Snell, Allen, Taylor, Jackson and Cambage.

Reply #486330 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a Wikipedia page about televised battles between male and female players in tennis.

Reply #486348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

486330....... Exactly on the money with who Joyce needs to be competitive, and that's the whole point, if he picks correctly then they should be beating even this un20 nsw 'county' side.

Reply #486351 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

would not matter what opals team was picked, they have no hope of beating a rep u20m team, country or metro. They would struggle against u18M.

same result in the USA.

Reply #486356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely. Don't know if there's some extreme hatred of Joyce or some skewed perception of women's v men's basketball going on here, but someone has lost their grasp on reality

Reply #486389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is basketball in the next Comm Games? I heard it was.

I wonder what age group Australia womens could send and win gold? I'm guessing an under 23 uni games team could do the job, although they could potentially go younger (u 20 or 18 perhaps).

Reply #486392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you send an un18 or un20 women's team into a senior comp like the commonwealth games, seriously, yes they cleaned up at Oceania pacific championships, but they would be up against harder comp at commonwealth gams.

Reply #486401 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

comment above

"I wonder what age group Australia womens could send and win gold? I'm guessing an under 23 uni games team could do the job, although they could potentially go younger (u 20 or 18 perhaps)."

written no doubt by the guy who cannot believe u20m rep team will beat a national womens team!!

Reply #486409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't basketball used to be in commonwealth games??

Reply #486414 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

has been , the host country decides the sports.

The next comm games are in Australia, so basketball should be in as we will win gold in mens and womens.

Reply #486416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder which uk left them out or should I say Scotland, same dam place they just speak differently. England has a basketball team they play euro league and have other comps so why not commonwealth games doesn't make sense. Roll on the 2018 games then.

Reply #486442 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754