Isaac
Years ago

Cairns sign import SF Torrey Craig

The Cairns Taipans today announced the signing of USC Upstate senior Torrey Craig to the club's first import spot for 2014-15.

The 198-centimetre small forward recently completed his senior year as mid-major NCAA programme USC Upstate’s career leader in rebounds (944) and second-ranked scorer (2,128 points).

23-year old Craig ranked amongst the best players in the Atlantic Sun Conference, posting senior figures of 16.7 points (2nd) and 7.0 rebounds (4th) and earning all-conference first team selection and Lou Henson All-America Team honours.
Fearne said Craig would arrive in Cairns with a point to prove for his first professional season.

"There’s always some intrigue with guys who are productive in smaller conferences. They usually haven’t had the luxuries of the huge college programs, so they’re a little hungrier."
NBL announcement

Topic #35065 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think he should be good.

Reply #486542 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I like seeing guys come here straight out of college. It's happening more and more and I feel like 10 years ago it wasn't happening at all...

Reply #486644 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am on the other side.

It's good to get these high quality players straight out of college.

The only downside is that they use the league as a stepping stone, come here for one year, put up good numbers and try find a gig in Europe for twice (or more) the pay. That import that Wollongong signed (who was he?), Michigan player? Left before season even started and went to Europe.

Would love to see us get imports who can stay longer. i.e. an import who stays here for a few seasons such to the point that fans can identify and support/follow them ala Jackson.

But I do understand that the league is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

- If a player doesn't do well, he is cut.

- If a player does too well, he probably fields interest from Europe and packs up and leaves for the $ (can't blame them).

As funny as it sounds, we actually need good middle of the road imports or really good imports that flourish in our league but whose game style doesn't attract Euro clubs.

Jackson's little injury/slightly disappointing time in Europe was a blessing for disguise for the Breakers. Had he been injury free, enjoyed it and put up numbers he probably wouldn't be back in the league. I think Jackson realised that NBL clubs treat you so much better and there is a great culture. By all accounts, the club in Europe kept pushing Jackson to play whilst injured - they just don't understand the concept of an injury

Reply #486664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was that good, he would'nt be playing nbl sori. Differnt support cast this time around a few players that have moved on wich i think made him better than what he realy is. Has his free throws improved? Nail the 3 consistantly? See how he will go, it's great he came back!

Reply #486667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Left before season even started and went to Europe.
MACDUB, then got dumped there (or quit or whatever - can't remember). Should've stayed in the NBL in the first place.

Reply #486675 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Isaac- what was his name again?

Reply #486747 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't understand the logic of signing a cheap import. If you're going to go cheap, why not go local?

Reply #486761 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Sting there is still a price differential between a 'cheap' import and the kind of local you could get.

Doesn't mean he's any less skilled, all it means he doesn't have the tape to command a bigger salary.

'Cheap' is also a matter of perspective.

Reply #486773 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Thought the article in the Cairns Post revealed a little more than the NBL one:
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/south-carolina-forward-torrey-craig-is-cairns-taipans-latest-recruit/story-fnjpuwsz-1227015066306

Reply #486784 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I like seeing guys come here straight out of college. It's happening more and more and I feel like 10 years ago it wasn't happening at all..."

Around 10 years ago we had two guys straight out of college (a couple of years apart) named Chris Williams and Ebi Ere!

If you can get a stud, go for it, especially if you have structure and talent that means he won't have to do it all, which pretty much all NBL clubs do.

Reply #486802 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Chris Williams what a player he was....absolute gun.

Reply #486806 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea was sad we only got Williams in the NBL for 1 season, he is one of the best import forwards we have had grace our shores,

we havnt had that many great import forwards in recent years, (we obviously have had 1 or 2 like Ennis) one area where the NBL dropped off a little imo.

Reply #486810 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think with the proliferation of the internet and global scouting, guys don't toil away in anonymity anywhere, so if they find success here someone will be watching, which is why you don't see imports stay very long.

20 years ago you could average 30 ppg in the NBL and no one would know or care, so you'd stick around.

Reply #486813 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, its great for the players to get these opportunities, but unfortunate for us Down under we dont get to keep these guys longer.

Torrey Craig, DeAndre Daniels, Gladness coming to the league with the return of Cedric Jackson, Stephen Dennis (take 2), and Ervin, Conklin and Wilson sticking around, the NBL has some good imports floating around this season, which will be great to watch.

Reply #486815 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, its great for the players to get these opportunities, but unfortunate for us Down under we dont get to keep these guys longer.

Torrey Craig, DeAndre Daniels, Gladness coming to the league with the return of Cedric Jackson, Stephen Dennis (take 2), and Ervin, Conklin and Wilson sticking around, the NBL has some good imports floating around this season, which will be great to watch.

Reply #486816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754