Anonymous
Years ago

2014 School Nationals Basketball - Townsville

Anyone know who the favourites are this year or players to keep an eye on?

Topic #35132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD should be good - Will McDowell-White should be the best kid there

Reply #488240 | Report this post

Years ago

there seems to be perennials

Reply #488263 | Report this post

Years ago

usually the host state / area puts up a good show

Reply #488264 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

NSW in the u18 Girls comp by a mile .

Reply #488271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think NSW have won the 18 Men last 5 years or so but not sure what their line up is like this year

Reply #488273 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

Qld play NSW in the final today.

WMW went for 32/15 on 14 of 19 shooting in the semi win over WA

Reply #489298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who have been the other standouts besides McDowell-White brothers?

Reply #489315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is this competition>
Where is the web site, are there details or team lists on line?
Is it certain age groups, year 11 - 12 or ?

Reply #489317 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-9095-0-0-0&a=COMPS

Reply #489320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the strong players haven't even gone to this tournament, only have to look at the Vic sides both men and women to work that out, so wouldn't read too much into results

Reply #489325 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Oh seriously.... This is a school comp where state schools associations not basketball associations put together teams of players who choose to trial.
They also try to have a spread of players across schools and regions…

Leave it alone people. This is one that should be left for parents and schools to enjoy and not have the basketball community analyse too much…..

Fun , Fun, Fun…..

Reply #489329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with ^Anon, some tournaments need to remain more about the game than the results. Those kids who are say year 12 and can afford to give up study time to go are welcome to it and they should enjoy the experience.

Those others who could have been considered, may still have other basketball agendas in mind post VCE.

Certainly year 12 studies are a big factor as to why some don't go, but in the end those who are there will do their best.

They should all enjoy the experience for what it is rather than what people speculate it is!

Reply #489330 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The tournament clashes with the lead in to the VJBL finals hence why the VIC teams are not as strong as they could be.

Reply #489331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a rubbish competition run by school associations.

Reply #489333 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

LC & 333 - this is nothing to do with club basketball so your attitude is completely inappropriate and a sad reflection of either your mentality or inability to get the picture. Leave it alone and go and get some help to get some perspective please... Its school kids having fun.

I repeat, it is nothing to do with what goes on at club, state or national levels…..

it is a relevant comp for school kids who can go and otherwise may not be able to rep in their school sport… basketball is one of many sports in the state and national program.. PARTICIPATION, something you may not be doing...

Reply #489334 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

The tournament clashes with the lead in to the VJBL finals hence why the VIC teams are not as strong as they could be.

Not related in any way in most states as I said the state schools sports associations put together teams and not necessarily the best.

It is not a time to make excuses as to why a state is not as strong as it has no relevance to basketball club and association sport... in fact the states who are not fielding the best teams parallel to state programs are in the spirit of the comp…as it should be...

Reply #489336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually 334, it's supposed to be a "national" event not a school let's have fun event as it's "supposed" to take the best available from each states schools, and some years it actually has been this type of representation, but this year with un17 worlds, year 12, VJBL finals for Vic kids, bigv and SEABL for those who are just out of juniors and the fact it's in Townsville( remember it is pay to play and it's not cheap)I think those combined factors have made it a much weaker tournament in the senior level this year than normal.

That is why when reports come through of "the best Australia has" and some players"dominating" it's not really factual, so probably why some are saying so.

But agree it's often the only chance some kids get of representing their state

Reply #489340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds, again, like some parents are bitter about the non-selection of their kids in this tournament. Either that, or they feel so concerned about the demise of Victorian Basketball that they feel the need to make excuses anonymously on this forum.

Reply #489349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon I think you are misreading some posts, I am a Vic parent and my kid is doing year 12, not going to Townsville because it was just never on the radar. Too expensive and not at the right time for his studies with everything else considered it was a blessing for the kid not to try out for this one.

I am more than happy for those who have gone, yes my kid would have probably been picked but we as a family have absolutely no bitterness at all.

Sometimes this tournament suits certain kids from certain states more so than others, just so happens this year it really doesn't suit some Vic kids, no issues with that at all because other times it does suit the southern states more than the north.

Poor old W.A. and N.T. are usually a long and expensive trip any which way, I have respect for the efforts parents from isolated areas especially put in, utmost respect.

Reply #489355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demise of Vic Basketball

National teams have included many kids from Victoria and it doesn't look any different from the past 17Men ( Last two tournaments ), recent 19s and 17 women

Reply #489373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon, as you yourself put it - it has no relevance...

Reply #489382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic is by far the strongest pool of players when it comes to national representation, always has been

Reply #489417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754