Train
Years ago

Wildcats keen on signing Luke Martin

An article in the west stating the Perth Wildcats were keen on Luke Martin.

"Meanwhile, the Wildcats are interested in signing former Australian international Luke Martin as a back-up point-guard.

But the club faces a potential stumbling block in the controversial player points equalisation system.

The Wildcats have just two points left under the 70-point cap and Martin is rated as a three-point player.

Martin, who trained with the Wildcats today, could appeal his points rating. "

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/24773648/daniels-carries-cats-expectations/

I'm not the biggest fan of Luke Martin, would much prefer U'u, but he is probably at the top of the pile for Guards rated 2 points (if reduced from 3).

Topic #35182 | Report this topic

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

This is why I don't like the Points Cap - U'u and/or Martin could potentially miss out on a gig due to it

Reply #489208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former Australian international?

Reply #489211 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ganymede 86 - U'u or Martin would miss out on a gig anyway as there is only 1 spot. Points cap is not the issue.

Reply #489213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Tornado - Points cap is the issue.

Drake U'u - rated a 4
Luke Martin - rated a 3

Perth only has 2 points available so at the moment, neither of these guys can be signed so at the moment both miss out, not due to only being 1 spot.

Luke Martin is 33 years old and I would rather the spot went to a younger player rather than having Martin be downgraded to help Perth to another title.

Just FYI - Good Value picks
Tom Daly - 1 point
Joel Naburgs - 1 point
Kyle Armour - 1 point

The System doesn't help these guys
Bennie Lewis - 4 points
Lindsay Tait - 4 points
Everard Barlett - 4 points
Daniel Dillon - 6 points

Reply #489214 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Would LOVE to have B.Lewis being the 10th guy on the cats roster. sadly it won't happen.

Beal
Lewis
Muo
Daniels
Jervis

That's a pretty lethal combination!

Reply #489215 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

so it's the points caps fault that Perth used up all their points before they signed a backup point guard?
NZ have had to make some hard decisions in the past and rejig & let players go that the would have otherwise rather kept to stay under the cap so why shouldn't the Wildcats?

Reply #489216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that why you guy's did'nt win it last year? Point system is shite! Can some one tell me how it is fair on the player's that could but can't?

Reply #489219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points cap is far from the disaster it's been made out to be by some, but it can still hurt at the fringes. Whilst the principle of ensuring league parity is important, is it really of benefit to the league when an "inferior" (at least according to the points rating system) player can get a spot at the expense of a "better" player?

The suggestion that Barlow, Ingles etc. were or are kept out of the league because of the points cap is obviously bogus, but this system still doesn't ensure that the best available 64-odd local players who WANT to play can.

Reply #489220 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No NZ weren't competitive last season due to a number of factors, none of which the points cap had anything to do with.

Reply #489221 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Wildcats keen on signing Luke Martin"

...why?

Reply #489226 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

For every player that gets a gig another misses out...regardless of points.

Points cap is the only thing keeping this league relatively even.

Reply #489227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

man this guy has had his time. his last couple seasons at Sydney were his worst.
Not sure what he will bring to the table.
Small and probably no where near as fast as he was years ago. a liability if you ask me.

Reply #489230 | Report this post

GWb  
Years ago

Luke Martin? Why would you bother?

And yes Anonymous. in the 2003-5 dark ages of Boomers Basketball Luke Martin somehow, inexplicably, had a Boomers spot in some "nothing" series. I think it may have been after Heal and Mahers retirement internationally or something.. we were short on guards.

Reply #489232 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would rather Tom Daly or a young local than L Martin.

Reply #489234 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Perth's annual "oh we would sign you except for the points cap" story

Reply #489235 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Points cap isn't the issue... The Wildcats have a STACKED team already WITH points discounts...

You've got a team with:
Martin: DPOTY
Beal: NBL Grand Final MVP (2014)
DeAndre: NBA Draft 2nd Rnd Pick
Redhage: ALL-NBL 1st & 2nd team regular
Knight: One of the best bigs when healthy

not to mention Hire, Wagstaff and Jervis...

Why do you think that Perth deserve MORE points?^

^ - I'm not actually against Martin trying to get re-rated, just against fans of teams who are already stacked, complaining about the points cap...

Reply #489236 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Uu defo younger as well

Reply #489248 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Oh that would be confusing two Martins both guards!!

Reply #489249 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

murray the maggot only surfaces on this forum to say stupid things. newsflash murray Adelaide will win the spoon

Reply #489256 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

What has U'U done to warrant jumping to 4 points?
He played bugger all minutes last season. He should still be a 3 (if he's a college returnee) or 1 (if he isn't).

Reply #489260 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think he was pretty unlucky to end up on 4 pts.

Reply #489267 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

U'U was lucky to score 4 points let alone be worth 4

Reply #489268 | Report this post

Deimos 54  
Years ago

Surely with wildcats could dispute that

Reply #489284 | Report this post

Nance  
Years ago

Agreed. Still kind of hoping the Wildcats will dispute U'u's rating and bring him back. He's a good fit for the Wildcats and has great potential. Has been training hard off season.

Reply #489311 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There's been some talk on other threads about being able to have a players points lowered to fit in if that player has not been signed by a team by start of season.

I believe it was used with Axel Dench with Melbourne years ago.

Does anyone know if that rule still applies ?

Reply #489312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U'u was actually playing well as the season went on and looked better. sure he misses some easy layups and has suspect handels, but he can hit the three and defend at an ok clip.He is nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be.

Reply #489389 | Report this post

Nikki12  
Years ago

Yes Uu has been working hard off season. Hopefully they can get the points deducted

Reply #489395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Luke Martin? Why would you bother?"

exactly, bring in some young blood. How about developing youngsters for once and not rehashing has beens

Reply #491503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754