Pandora
Years ago

Knox SEABL Womens coaching position

Just noticed on the Knox Website that the job is now advertised.I must have missed the press release of Cheryl not continuing and thanking her for the great job she did giving our kids a go plus the championship last year. Par for course I suppose.

Topic #35185 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheryl is fantastic - we could only dream of our club having its own juniors develop into SEABL players - wish she would come to us!

Reply #489251 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Typical of the current mob running Knox. Treat their good people with no respect eg. Longstaff, Chrisiansen, Smyth, Anderson, McCormack to name a few.
Cheryl is another loss that the club can ill afford to lose.

When are they going to wake up this experience and knowledge can not be replaced in the short term.

I would suggest that retaining these type of people would assist in bringing along and developing new coaches to the club.

Thoughts?

Reply #489277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the ad say SEABL or Big V coach as the whisper is they will play in the latter next season.

Reply #489290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is always rumours they're going back to Big V but they won't.
Cheryl was all class something Shanahan has none of. He is telling anyone that asks he got an extension to his contract - what an embarrassment for him and the board. How does someone with no credability, only arrogance and treats his players with absolute contemp just get re appointed. Is anyone on that committee actually listening for even a micro second.

Cheryl Chambers brought empathy and softness yet was all about skill development. Never once did she loose respect of her players, in fact complete opposite they adore her and when Cheryl told her team first before anyone else those kids were gutted.

It ain't rocket science peeps, treat them well and they want to play for you, treat them
like it's all about you and they dispise you. Wakey wakey Knox committee catch a wake up!

Reply #489291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it that time of the year again? the old "Seabl clubs to BigV" speculation.

Reply #489300 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Question for you Matt Shanahan.

Is it true that Mitch Creek tried to contact you on a number of occasions expressing an interest in playing for Knox this year? Is it also true that he stated he was prepared to play for minimum dollars given knox's financial situation ?

And finally, is it true that you never returned his calls?

Your arrogance and poor management skills are widely known. Things don't seem to change. The Knox board will live to regret the decision to keep you but only have themselves to blame.

Reply #489304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For gods sake let it go!!! this isn't about the mens team! Start your own vitriolic hate thread and leave the crap out of everyone elses.

Reply #489309 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

get stuffed!! I won't let it go - you wake up to yourself and stop protecting him.

Reply #489318 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No its not about the mens team you're right. But looking at the advertisement - guess who is managing the process.

Why should he let it go?

Reply #489319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anybody thought that Cheryl may have decided herself to leave the job. considering she is the melbourne boomers assistant coach and does have a family, im guessing she has finally decided that she cant do both leagues and have a happy family.

Reply #489322 | Report this post

Pandora  
Years ago

Sorry but I agree keep Shanahan out of this thread.If is true that it was family decision then good on her,but Cheryl is a basketball tragic and I bet won't be out if the game for long.Maybe she should be the development manager!!!!!!!Stack her credentials up and I would very much doubt anyone could anywhere near matching them.Cheryls loss to Knox is just huge.

Reply #489386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assistant at Bulleen
Head Coach Knox
Australian u19
Women's coach at Box Hill Senior Secondary

Reply #489403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the juniors developed by choice or circumstances?..Limited budget with the majority on 2 players that were never going to play many games.2 players that actually play juniors in other clubs and no other recruiting.Holidays during season ,never watched a youth league game,training at 6.00 am mid week,maybe not everyone thought she was completely serious about the season

Reply #489410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely wouldn't have used those juniors had her two expensive players been available, and she not un19 Australian coach anymore. Think she's run her race for now after a few busy years, maybe a rest is a good thing, be some fresh blood flowing through Knox

Reply #489416 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So recent threads say its a good thing to let Cheryl go and bring fresh blood?

WTF!

Keep Shanahan and let Chambers go?

Remember in 2 years time after Shanahan's contract extension expires and Knox is a basket case - I TOLD YOU SO!

Watch all the bandwagon jumpers dive for cover - not me I never was a fan.

David P you are on notice!!

Reply #489424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shanahan needs to go, in fact Knox needs a good clean out starting with the board

Reply #489432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re 489410
Cheryl signed her two stars only after consulting the Opals schedule and they were to miss 4 games only. Then Opals added extra camps and this just desimated the Knox team. She ran Knox Youth all season to develop their own.
Both Cheryl and the players took huge pay cuts to satisfy the Knox board.
Yes they trained early 1 day a week of their 2 sessions but all the players agreed to this and enjoyed it as it freed up another evening for them.
Cheryl will spend time with her young family now which is fair enough. She has also stepped in and is helping at Bulleen coach their 12:1 team when the current coach was taken ill. All class Cheryl Chambers and she will be sorely missed

Reply #489441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754