congrats
Years ago

BSA grand final referees

Congratulations & good luck to Durant,Filmer,Dyson & Devlin who are on Grand Finals this weekend in the CABL

some good officials at the top even without

Topic #35240 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Wieland dropped instead of Dyson... Just a terrible decision. Wieland is 10 times the referee.

Reply #489962 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Where's Phil?
We want best

Reply #489965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wieland gets referee of they year - not good enough to referee a grand final!
No wonder why basketball is dropping in SA, the referees that the people involved vote for as the best dont get the main game

Reply #489973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan is away at a tournament, my guess is he wont be back in time

Reply #489984 | Report this post

muppet  
Years ago

Aha where's my foot?

Reply #490001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? A thread about refs!

Reply #490006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you will find Wieland is not away, he will be there as the reserve referee on the day.

Reply #490009 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

If Nathan Weiland is indeed available then again a miscarriage of justice. BSA referee selectors have a long record of this type of action where personalities (and the favourites of the selectors) take precedence over quality. I am no longer an active official but have seen this occur on many occassions over many years with the same selectors holding too much power and influence. I'm sure that one person in particular will bemoan the situation longly and loudly for all to hear.
With regards to comment about Phil Haines (I assume), I believe that he has retired.
Re the comment about Weiland being better than Dyson - IMO that is incorrect. Both are strong officials with different styles, but are extremely sound in rule knowledge, experience and court demeanor.

Reply #490017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or have they put the 2 best female referees on the women's game and the 2 best male referees on the mens?

Reply #490019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Nathan may not be away on the day of the game (I am still uncertain), however he has been away all week at a tournament so I am sure the selectors have chosen not to use someone who has been umpiring all week. Same thing has happened to other referees in the past

Anon12 you might want to hope off that high horse of yours before you hurt yourself

Reply #490041 | Report this post

neutral  
Years ago

last anon, I think you are still off the mark. Nathan was not away at all & simply was not selected, didn't make the cut because they selected Vanessa & Michelle instead and listed him as reserve.

it's a positive that they have more than four to pick from which is the first time in a while
also the girls would have done lot's of girls games throughout the season & Nathan would have only done men games so that would give them an advantage for finals i think

Reply #490042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathannnnnnnnnn

Reply #490055 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Anon 490041. I don't need to get off the high horse as I was not one of the referees affected by the favouritism displayed to referees being appointed to finals in the past. If you are an official (and honest) you will know who the parties are that were overlooked. My point was that the selection process, again, appears (on the surface), to be flawed.

Reply #490082 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

Hanging Round: you have the best... All national league representatives! Lucky to have that quality in my opinion... Who else do you want? The two best blokes are in Spain and don't referee Cabl...!
Philip has retired and only referees wheelchair basketball now. Hoping for Brazil in 2016!

Reply #490119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754