Anonymous
Years ago

AUS v USA - Final Full Game - 2014 FIBA U17 WC's

its finally up, starts at the 9.46 sec mark, you would think they would edit it to start at 0.00 any way enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK99bN9npEA&list=PLCXERy73Oiz8SqgtUNNxImORlMUra5Rb4

Topic #35260 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Vasiljevic kids loves to shoot way too much. Shot like 30% for the tournament.. yikes!

Reply #490333 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Obviously had the green light to shoot and Watkins did not mind. He indeed had some poor decisions but even his presence on the court presented a threat, best example Spain which played denial the last quarter, which gave more room to Isaac to operate inside. Based on efficiency our best guard by far, right after Jackson and Newman (USA), scored most threes in the tournament (9th % wise of all players) and got selected into the All-tournament team - I'd say yikes really?!

Determination and self-belief our guards, especially Wilson and Vasiljevic, showed in the last three games of the final rounds even when it was not going their way was simple unbelievable. I will not be surprised if they both along with Humphries are selected in the U19 squad.

So we should really applaud to these 17 year olds for taking it to the star studded American team - if we take Simmons and Maker out, this American team is full of top College and NBA prospects. I'd say this is a good sign that our junior program is working and the results achieved in the past 4 years are not surprise.

Reply #490340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia were totally out~rebounded by Usa.
Usa always found the open men and took easy open shots, whereas Australia
took their shots under great presure from USA defense.
USA won the game because of better coaching and team work.

Reply #490345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say our two main guards Wilson and Vasiljevic in this game were no different than when they normally play. they are streaky and can put points on the board in a hurray. But if you look closely at the first quarter in particular you will notice something.

Tom Wilson tends to over possess the ball and doesn't quite have the handles to do it, so he gets himself into awkward situations at times and turns it over or puts his team mates under pressure when he could pass it earlier to advantage instead.

Dejan does jack up lots of shots and that's his game, but when he mixes it up with drives, floaters and passes inside to the post he is a much better player, unfortunately his decision making needs improvement and even hitting those threes in the first quarter revealed he over did it.

They are both young and will improve, there is lots of upside, so my comments may seem a little harsh, but I am referring specifically to this tournament and how they play right now, not how they will hopefully improve down the track.

Reply #490355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that second quarter we missed 7 straight 3 point attempts and USA No.7 Newman couldn't miss!

Reply #490357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really the difference was that Team USA played down to at least No.9 on their roster, where AUS relied on about 6 maybe 7 at a stretch.

That said, it was a wonderful effort to get as close as AUS did and there were chances.

Reply #490358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you are unbelievable with the tall poppy syndrome.

Can't you jsut applaud the result of this team, the kids and coaches???

This was, after all, our best result at this level!

1st tourny we came 6th, last tourny we got Silver losing 62-95, this time we got Silver losing by 7.

To me that's a fantastic result and shows we're improving. Who knows, in another 2 years we may win the damn thing!

Reply #490970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you captain obvious for observing that we were totally out rebounded by the USA. i think we all expected that even before the tournament started. In fact I think you'll find the USA out rebounded everyone they played.

Also, if you never shoot it, it WILL NEVER GO IN.

Reply #490972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't disagree that Vasiljevic shoots it too much and needs to temper his game a little. But he's a shooter and that's what they do.

But please get you facts right as the stats are available. IMO, his stats are reasonable considereing this is a World Championship:

For the record:

D. Vasiljevic
FG
41/113
36.3%

2PT
21/59
35.6%

3PT
20/54
37%

Reply #490975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#970 where is the post that the kids are over critisised? Tall Poppy syndrome, I think not, just some honest opinions and observations from what I am reading.

Maybe you are misreading the posts and not taking in everything? We all agree they did a marvellous job and we are all very proud of the whole team. Nothing wrong with analysing a few things along the way is there?

At this level they players either get told the truth or keep making the same mistakes. If you see the same type of play all the time, maybe it needs to be identified, for the benefit of individual improvement?

Reply #490984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me it was disappointing the way Humphries was taken out of the final game. He was the key but we either played around him or over him far too often and early against USA, not establishing him in the post first cost us dearly in the final game IMO.

Humphries had an awesome tournament, team USA were always going to try and take away his dominance though. It looked like he wasn't supported early on by his team mates and he lost confidence.

Reply #490998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754