AGI
Years ago

NBA Scout says Dante not ready for the NBA

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/238159/nba-scout-says-dante-exum-not-ready-for-nba

An Eastern Conference scouting director who tracked Dante Exum at the FIBA World Cup said that Exum is not ready for the NBA.

"He's not ready for the NBA, that is for sure," said the scout. "But a lot of guys are not ready for the NBA and they have got to learn on the fly. He is no different. But he is not going to jump into the league and all of a sudden average 20 points a game. There’s just no way." Exum has shown flashes of potential, but he struggled through both Summer League and the World Cup.

Topic #35359 | Report this topic

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The Scout is right. Exum isn't ready but has a lot of potential I think.

Reply #492632 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He's 18, never expected him to be anything more than a benchie to start with

Reply #492633 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Duh...

Reply #492637 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"...a lot of guys are not ready for the NBA and they have got to learn on the fly"

THIS ^

Reply #492638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha! And when I made a thread a few weeks ago saying the same thing I got shat on and called a hater.

Reply #492646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have been better going to college even for just a couple of years, too much too soon

Reply #492660 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

Of course he isn't ready but he is guaranteed 7.3 mil and probably 16 mil on his rookie contract before he is 24

Reply #492661 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Joel Embiid's not ready for NBA - he's injured - but that's not going to stop you signing him in the draft.

Good on Exum for signing now, I think a couple of years of college would have dropped his stock dramatically and he'd be lucky to be drafted in the first round.

Reply #492694 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

He needs time, everyone knows that, its just nice to imagine that he might have shown more glimpses by now. He can be the back up PG for utah and slowly get better ... he just turned 19, will take a couple of years. He will cop heaps though from the media this year, hopefully he has the resilence to keep working at it

Reply #492723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So based on world cup Dante not ready for NBA so does that mean that Giannis ANTETOKOUNMPO is not ready for the NBA also. Both are 19yo and there respective teams (Australia, Greece) lost in the round of 16.

Dante average
12 min per game
2.7 pts
1.5 reb
2 assists
on 40% 2pt shooting
20% 3pt
and 100% from line
Turnover 1.2

Giannis (already had a year in NBA)
16min per game
6.3 pts
4.3 reb
0.3 assist
on 67% 2pt shooting
11% 3pt
79% from line
Turnover 1.3

Reply #492737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he will be ready in one or two years time

Reply #492738 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't get what your point is with the comparison Anon

Reply #492797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think he'll ever be any good and the team that picked him need to get rid of him quickly

Reply #492798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't need to be an NBA scout to know that.

Reply #492834 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

NBA scouts also said:

Patty Mills is an inefficient combo-guard, who needs to work in his floor general skills and short-range game.

Andrew Bogut is a decent defender who lacks the athleticism necessary to be a game changer.

Matthew Dellavedova has questions about his defense due to... His lack of strength, length and lateral quickness makes it difficult for him to stay in front of opposing point guards, as he doesn't cover ground very well, and has a difficult time getting through screens.

Dante has been drafted on potential. He's got plenty of time to turn that potential into actuality.

Reply #492896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sure he has some upside - but won't get as much burn for the same reasons he didn't go to collage - his stock will drop pretty quickly at elite level

obvious from the world cup

Cons
-can't go to his left hand dribble
- average shooting from the perimeter
- very inexperienced in defense
- has trouble at the ring against athletic defenders
- he need to work on that fitness and stamina pronto

Pros
- he's young
- his body is going to develop a bit more
- he's on a nba team that understands the development

I just hope he doesn't get too wound up in the pressure to perform and loses confidence when things don't go right

I see him being trialled a bit at the start of the season then stuck at the end of the bench (even d- league)

he should be coming good by RIO

Reply #492903 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=19&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws

Apologies for the monster link, but I'm yet to find the section on this forum that tells you what markup is required to link things properly. There are the 18&19yo guard seasons in the NBA. Dante's will be just the 22nd season by a guard under 20.

Reply #493101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's shown that he can dribble with his left, he just chooses not to. He's just way stronger with his right. He definitely needs to work on his left hand handle though. And being ridiculously fast should be in the pros aswell.

I'm not getting the knock with his defense. I saw him constantly stay in front of defenders and even cause a few steals/offensive fouls.

I think he showed against Angola that he could be effective at this level but he was just way too tentative for the majority of his court time. When he actually had no pressure he did very well.

Reply #493177 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So our young mate is playing in Utah, is there any chance of the greatest playmaker of his time John Stockton teaching our boy what it will take to be a success in the NBA

Reply #493278 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754