LC
Years ago

Jonah Bolden deemed ineligible for 2014/15 season

Jonah Bolden who was set to commence his freshman season at the famed UCLA has been told he is ineligible to play for the 2014/15.

Jonah Bolden ruled ineligible

He remains on a full scholarship, will be able to train with the team, but unable to play this coming season.

Topic #35422 | Report this topic

Phil  
Years ago

so he is not allowed to suit up because of the timing of his transfer from his australian high school to his american high school? am i missing something here?

that seems like epic douchebaggery.

1. does this give him any unfair advantage over his competitors?

no.

2. is anyone hurt or suffering because of his actions?

no.

3. has he broken any federal/state laws?

no.

so what is the problem ncaa? seems like a bunch of boffins sitting in some room somewhere with nothing more important to do then run a ruler down a page. just let the guy play basketball.

Reply #493906 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

You obviously don't know anything about the NCAA. NCCA has their ancient purist amateur rules that they strictly enforce while at the same time they are hypocritically presiding over a multi billion dollar money machine.

There's about as much chance or them changing as there is of the USA changing their gun laws.

Reply #493908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We get punished for living in the southern hemisphere and our school years running at different times.

Reply #493912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn, was looking forward to seeing how he went this year. Hopefully he can still play in the under 19's this year.

Reply #493917 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

i think there will be some changes sooner rather thn later. The $2000 boost to scholarship holders is getting attention.

If interested go to Darren Heitner's Sports Agent Blog. sportsagentblog.com and do a search.

Cheers. Choppy

Reply #493918 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wouldn't think it would affect his availability for under 19s.

Reply #493919 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

He should just stick it to everyone and play professionally in the NBL

Reply #493920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats harsh on the kid. just go pro asap i reckon.. 1 year without conpetitive ball at his age isn't good for his development.

Reply #493922 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Great post, fstos, absolutely nailed it.

Reply #493923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there's nothing wrong with taking different pathways to reach your goal.. brandon jennings, emmanual mudaiy are examples. the latter signed $1.2million contract in china rather than going to college. the dudes an 18 year old straight out of high school.. he'll declare for the draft after 1 season with a million in the bank already. not bad imo

Reply #493924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One must ask the question. Who was advising him in Aus? NCAA rules though silly, are crystal clear. Cannot exceed a certain # of semesters to complete high school I believe. He did. I think number is 8 and with his prep school he hit 9.

Reply #493925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you also have to do your own research..

Reply #493926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will never make the nba anyway so he may aswell stay, if he eent to the nbl this season he would just stay for life

Reply #493951 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

lol put a name to that claim anon...

how do you know he wont make the nba?...

highly rated recruit , and i would say how far he can go is up to him. he has the physical tools and enough talent to build something. whether he makes it or not is a pretty hard call and one i dont think you are qualified to make.

Reply #493960 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Gotta love these 'anonymous' haters.. never any info to back up their claims, probably has never seen the kid play. Athletic, 6 ft 9, good handle, decent speed, nice outside shot.. why cant he make the big league Anonymous? Or are you just pissed YOUR hoop dreams only led you to D Grade Ball at Salisbury rec center?

Reply #493964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athletic, good handle, good speed, outside shot. Only thing iis, is that analysts said hes going to be playing the 4

Reply #493971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely has NBA potential. at 6'9 with good athleticism and a long wingspan he'll get lots of interest.

If Maker does get Canadian citizenship down the road our future front court could be

SF - Bolden 6'9
Pf - Simmons 6'10
C Humphries 7'0

Still pretty damn imposing.

Reply #493990 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I hope it works out for him, do we have confirmation that he will be red-shirted for his first year or is this potentially a worse situation?

Talented kid, would be a shame if he couldn't go to college because of a technicallity...

Reply #494328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754