Sharod
Years ago

Status of expansion teams in NBL 15/16

Is there any news of how concrete for expansion teams joining in the next season? Brisbane, Wellington, Melbourne, Hobart and any others? Is four teams expansion still a high possibility even in two year time?

Topic #35482 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing concrete unfortunately, goal posts have been shifting a bit lately.

Reply #494915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A decision should be announced before the end of October.

Reply #494919 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

they could certainly use more teams in the comp, women too

Reply #494925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the expansion is fraught with danger!

Reply #494945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the bigger risk anon^, wait too long and miss the boat again or risk trying to expand and better the competition now?

Reply #494949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo will get one. They are getting a huge upgrade on their already big stadium. Strong support in that town too.

Reply #494966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe Bendigo have even applied not were asked.

Reply #494972 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

One of the best ways to grow the sport is through expansion.

Let's not turn this into a "talent pool dilution" argument like in the past (not sure about this site, but it definitely happened on other ones).

Reply #494982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given their are only effectively 50 Aussies in the league this season, I think we can afford some new teams without diluting talent.

Reply #494985 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

AndTheFoul (via facebook):
"The NBL have announced that there WILL be a Brisbane team in the NBL next season, even if it's funded by the league it's self."

Reply #495037 | Report this post

foolsgold  
Years ago

expansion is good for the game if they tap into the local markets and they did by having the blitz up in Brisbane. only need two new clubs in Brisbane and one in Tasmania and theres enough. Geelong isn't big enough nor is Canberra to hold down a team. But id be disappointed if Brisbane wasn't in the mix next season

Reply #495041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see.
Bris, Tas and Melb?

Reply #495046 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Brisbane shoild have a team. Wellington must be up there along with tassie and a second Victorian based side

Reply #495050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 sides I thought was the plan for the following season. Tassie in.

Reply #495057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle!

Reply #495059 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Ideal size for NBL in my opinion is somewhere between 10-12 teams. Personally I totally disagree with 16 teams which some people and possibly even Fraser Neil have been saying.

Reply #495074 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I think 12 is about right go for 10 next season then 12 the season after

Reply #495077 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The 2nd team should be the Melbourne Tigers. United can have the history of magic, titans, giants and whatever other Victorian teams there were.

Reply #495104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 teams is perfect, play each side twice for 30 games in the regular season. It is boring playing the same team three to four times.

Also with 16 you get a true playoffs structure again with quarter finals. Remember in the 90s QF SF & GF all best out of three, that was awesome.

I hope with the Brisbane announcement they keep the Bullets name.

Reply #495193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 or so games will be the next stage.

Reply #495217 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Tasmanian bid well advanced;

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/2577855/news-of-tasmanian-nbl-team-brewing/?cs=12

Reply #495249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bris and tas in. Who will the last 2 be?

Reply #495288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom, the 2nd Melbourne Team should not be the Melbourne Tigers. There's no reason to bring back a moniker of a failed franchise that was abandoned due to a lack of community support.

The 2nd Melbourne team needs to be successful & sustainable. The old Melbourne Tigers were not, hence the reasons the owners chose to re-brand.

You would have more immediate support if the South Dragons name was brought back by a new franchise.

Reply #495291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe only Brissie and Tassie.

Reply #495325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/map-of-tasmania-relevant-again-to-nbl-clubs/

Reply #495736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754