Solid Moves
Years ago

Getting to Adelaide Arena from the CBD

Hi all, I'll be flying over to Adelaide from Melbourne for the first Sixers home game and would appreciate if some of the SA locals could give me some info on the following.

What's the easiest way to get out to the Arena and then back to the CBD? Considering it's located a little way away I'm wondering if there's any public transport?

Also, is it worth getting there early for anything?

Apologies for what appears to be a pointless question. Us Victorians find it difficult coming from the worlds most livable city to a bush setting ;)... Joking, Melbourne is overrated AF! Thanks for your help in advance!

Topic #35510 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

You could take a cab but if you get stuck in traffic either way it might be a bit of a pain.

Reply #495364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The easiest way for a Victorian to fly Adelaide starts with the arrival. I hear Malaysian Airlines run cheap deals,(especially via the Ukraine route) and choice of motel is also easy to find. The Port Wakefield Caravan Park is 5 star and an easy drive in low traffic straight to Woodville.

Happy to have helped.

Reply #495365 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah it is reasonably close to the CBD.
If you take a cab it could still be expensive due to after work traffic on Friday night.
Pretty sure cabs are available after the game.

Public transport suggestion from the 36er website..

By bus, take the 115 or 118 departing from Grenfell Street in the City, and get off at stop 18 on Crittenden Road, Findon. 20-30min ride.
http://adelaidemetro.com.au/timetables/view/118/1/1/0

Reply #495372 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Ignore 365 - idiot troll....

You can get there early and have a meal and drink in the Apollo room overlooking the court. There should be the pre game coaches talks so always interesting and sometimes players have a chat. Also may mean you can miss the traffic and not stress about being late. Taxi best bet.

Adelaide Arena info

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/adelaide-arena

Apollo Room Blurb from Web Site.

Pre-Game Dining at the Apollo Bistro. Complete your night out by enjoying a pre-game meal before Friday and Saturday night games and a Sunday lunch before the game on Sundays.

Also, head up to the Apollo Bistro after every game to catch interviews with players and coaches, catch up with the inevitable discussions over particular plays, strategy, opposing teams and more all while overlooking the Arena's centre court.

To get to the Apollo Bistro, head up the stairs near the Corporate and Arena office entrance - standing mid-court and facing the Bistro windows, the stairs in question are on the left side.

On game nights, we'd love to see you up there for a meal and drink.

Bookings

To book a table, please call the Encore Group on 8417 6600

Reply #495378 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT..As a Kiwi, ive been to all cities in AUS.

Found Melbourne to be the worst IMO. Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney all better.

Reply #495383 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I actually love going to Melbourne. Me and my wife make a point of going a couple times each year nowadays.

Reply #495388 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What do you mean "worst" MACDUB -- in what capacity?

Reply #495389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Solid Moves, the pre-game dining in the Apollo is a bit dorky so don't expect anything super classy, but last time I was there, the food was decent and good value. If you are not a foodie and short of time, give it a shot. Bit of a qualified endorsement!

Otherwise, drop me an email via the Hoops contact form and I can give you restaurant suggestions if you're staying in the CBD. There are loads of great options in Adelaide for food, including some that will be open to eat after the game.

Reply #495398 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Seriously? the worst? Im guessing the Kiwi air must be making it hard to think properly.

In terms of getting from point A to Point B, Melbourne is a pretty great location to get to sporting events.

What I find terrible is the fact that someone above is suggesting a TAXI is the best way of getting to Adelaide Arena. If that is indeed the case, you are kneecapping any team based there. The reason Perth Arena works so well is that (its a 6 minute walk from the CBD/Main Train station).

Thats why it works. The longer a person has to travel, the less options they have to travel on/with means the less likely a team is to flourish/draw a good crowd. If you need to get bus A to get to bus b to get to train C, then you are going to suffer.

Reply #495404 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Nobody has ever accused Adelaide Arena of being well located.

Reply #495407 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

XY: How does that help with drawing crowds or more importantly... why was it built in that location to begin with? Surely the state government must of said 'We need to find a location that has good public transport links, a central location and so on'

Reply #495408 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Cheap land. Built on a waste dump.

Blame it on short sighted governments, who have regionalized rather than centralized Adelaide's sporting venues:

Football Park - West Lakes - now thankfully redundant
Cycling Velodrome - Gepps Cross
Hockey Centre - Gepps Cross
Swimming Centre - Marion
Basketball Stadium - Findon
Athletics Centre - Mile End
Netball Stadium - Mile End
Soccer Stadium - Thebarton

None of which are walking distance from the city/major accommodation. All of which require a car for easy city wide access.

The only venues that are centrally located are Adelaide Oval and a tired disused Tennis Centre.

We have plenty of parklands, but no political will to build on them. One major lost opportunity after another - one major city planning issue where Melbourne out smarted us.

Reply #495415 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

MACDUB: That's a little odd I must say, Melbourne is a common favourite, and for good reason

Reply #495418 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Hey Never thought about that.. A stadium on the Memorial Drive Tennis site... That sounds like a proposition worth raising….

Reply #495437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a great idea.

Reply #495454 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

A new tennis centre in the Western Parklands keeping the outdoor grass theme and green with an indoor/outdoor centre court like our own Wimbeldon....and a new Memorial Centre (play on the Staples Centre) at Memorial Drive….. That would be cool…. revitalising 2 sports...

Reply #495462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, the Arena was originally built for BASA (taking out a loan) rather than purely as a government project. The location is silly in retrospect but does allow for parking pretty easily. I've said for a long time that more centrally located venues are where we should've been looking.

The parklands are lovely and all, the lungs of the city, but they should be developed to encourage use. Not filled with highrise, but for public projects. Over on the West side of the CBD, we have a giant cemetery, not a great use of space IMO.

Reply #495469 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't know..i don't find Melbourne picturesque?

No good beaches close by.

Plus I hate AFL. ;)

Reply #495483 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

You can improve the Lungs of the city by planting higher rated plants and trees for cleaning. As it is many of the trees in the city are deciduous so useless for 4 months of the year so don't clean. THe natives are great but high emission for Asthma related irritants and Olive trees believe it or not are a big culprit for irritating airways as well.. THere are plants like Philodenrens that are amazing at cleaning air and you can reduce the amount of plants and clean as much as a field of trees.. Many European and canadian cities are very clever at including biological emission factors in their urban planning. We are not... We plant stinky rapid growing ornamental pears that are deciduous so again clean only 2/3 of the year and have high pollen count and emissions related to some headaches and asthma.. But they don't interfere with the power lines… How about underground power lines and the right trees with low emissions and water needs with high air cleaning qualities….. SO back on to basketball.. The lungs of the city argument does not sit well with me. We can use the green belt to develop a hub for sport and entertainment with centralised, peripheral transport systems but we need so forward thinking biological and ecological sciences not just planners and architects oh and wealthy business men to make these decisions. Vertical walls on buildings is becoming popular on buildings for insulation as well..

Reply #495510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754