LC
Years ago

2014/15 NBL Team Previews

A nice round up of the Adelaide 36ers ahead of the NBL season.

2014/15 NBL Season Preview: Adelaide 36ers

The Adelaide 36ers searched far and wide over the off-season in an attempt to bolster their squad for the 2014/15 season, making a number of key signings as they attempt to go one better and capture the NBL championship.

Is Anthony on the money with his assessment?

Topic #35530 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Not trying to be negative but I don't feel it is a very in depth season preview.

Half the article was about last season.

1 quarter of the article is about Gibbo.

Leaving a mere 1 quarter of the article to discuss the whole team.

I would have liked to have a breakdown of how the backcourt matches up, the front court and then the bench.

Reply #495619 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

OMG I agree with MC - rubbish review... Did they watch blitz, NT games, open training WEdnesday night, thoroughly analyse each individuals off season performances and history and then considered Joey as the coach…

Reply #495621 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

However good or bad the write up is, it doesn't change the fact that his prediction of top 4 is way off. We can talk up the team as much as we like, but when compared to the other teams, particularly those that have elected to use the marquee rule, the SIXERS are way behind. I think we are in for another long season.

Reply #495630 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah too much focus on Gibson. I think we all know what Gibbo brings at this point in his career. He's an important glue guy, but its the performance of the imports that will largely decide how successful this season is for the Sixers.

They've got to get significant scoring out of Montreal and Wilson needs to show he can wind the clock back about three seasons.

Other important factors:
1) Schenscher and Petrie have to remain fit because without them defence and rebounding is going to be awfully thin on the ground.
2) Creek needs to step up his scoring, rebounding and defence this season. The time for him to show if he is starter material is now.

Sixth place at worst I think, as Sydney and the 'Gong don't strike a lot of fear into me. If both imports play well and injuries are kept to a minimum, I think the Sixers can make the playoffs, but it'll be first round and no farther this season.

Reply #495631 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"particularly those that have elected to use the marquee rule"

Which teams have? I think Melbourne and NZ are confirmed. Anyone else?

Re top four being way off, the bottom team last season was three games off fourth spot, so I doubt very much he is way off.

Reply #495632 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Paul.......Melbourne, NZ and Perth. That's three teams to begin with.

Then the other teams have all signed improvements to their teams. We have signed a bench import guard and a SEABL power forward, who in addition to Petrie, is going to be asked to play out of natural position to cover for the loss of DJ.

Reply #495638 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well if you are convinced by your oversimplification of the players they've signed that's fine. But the game isn't played on paper, as Wollongong have repeatedly shown, so I'll wait and see.

But I'll repeat again, Petrie won't be doing much different to last season when he played a lot of centre because Johnson couldn't guard them.

Reply #495642 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Spinner - individuals do not win finals or even get them there, it is a team effort and coaching.....

Reply #495654 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I wonder if any team has gone from spoon to grand final to spoon again?
Think the sixers are safe from that dubious honor as the hawks will finish last in my opinion

Reply #495656 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #496034 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #496682 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Wollongong Hawks were the fairytale story of last season due to their miracle run to the NBL Playoffs, capped off by a Rotnei Clarke MVP crowning.

2014/15 NBL Season Preview: Wollongong Hawks

Have the Hawk's done enough to cover for the loss of their two top scorers from last season (Rotnei Clarke and Kevin Tiggs)? Is Luke Nevill's signing going to help them make a run to the finals?

Reply #496900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754