Anonymous
Years ago

Advertising, Marketing, promotion for NBL teams?

It appears that Melbourne United are well and truly leading the way in this department with a Television advert, basketball association visits and plenty of school visits ( great stuff).

What are other teams doing?

I live in Perth and have seen absolutely nothing.

Any info would be great to hear

Topic #35548 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hats off to United.

They have done a magnificent job.

Reply #495798 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Their social media is regularly updated. and by regularly I mean in game tweets from the pre-season game on every big play/every 2mins.

They have a good sense of professionalism as well - saw them down in Melbourne watching the AFL Grandfinal in their full United attire.

Had a video on their twitter with players guessing the GF winner. Hopefully a few Vic AFL supporters saw that and thought hey I might pop to a game during summer when the AFL isn't on.

Reply #495800 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Hawks have ads on bus stops and a few in the newspaper.

Reply #495809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Sydney doing much?

Reply #495812 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Perth will probably ramp up their marketing closer to when the season starts. With 8000 (? maybe more, maybe less) members, they really don't need to break the bank trying to win more fans over at this point. But expect some promotion soon.

Reply #495816 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My area of the office has three people who were 36ers season ticket holders (or game-night staff) last season, including myself.

I don't think the other two would be confident about being able to name the 36ers ten-man roster for this coming season. Quote just now: "I know the import has a Q in his name."

I asked one of them when he thought the NBL season started, and he guessed 3-4 weeks, late October. The 36ers' first home game is Oct 10, in 11 days. I have noticed absolutely no buzz at all.

Reply #495828 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Now that the AFL season is over and the NRL has only one week left, the summer season TV promoting will go three ways, A-League Soccer, Cricket and ???????

Sad to say it could be the spring racing carnival and several overseas sports taking time out of third spot!

Would be nice if the NBL could at least try to muscle in for that thrid spot, wouldn't it?

@MACDUB, the perception within the Melbourne basketball market may be that United has their stuff together earlier than most others, however a couple of points to clarify that would and should be included perhaps:

1. They (The United Group) pretty much had to improve in these areas after what they did, or they would have destroyed hoops down south.

2. What has changed to cause this? Don't tell me it is the name and colours that has inspired this perception of maginificence in their all of a sudden recognition and will to connect with the broader community!

Reply #495835 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Isaac... Yes , it is free to simply communicate and use the mediums at hand which is twitter, Facebook, web and email group.. Knowing your target is important but so is knowing your content… Perhaps we need someone in the marketing at the SIxers with a desire to share information and get excited… Really disappointed this season and that includes Dean who has gone awol on communication again. It is really hard to maintain enthusiasm and as a fan, I read and read and just want to start putting stuff out there and it is not my job but I know what it is the fans want and it is not rocket science.

Reply #495837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I'm not talking about shotgun advertising at great cost to reach randoms who may or may not be interested. I'm talking about people the club has contact details for. Even if people aren't direct customers at any point, they can certainly be the sorts that spread the word and in a positive way, or make it to the big games.

You don't have to print a newsletter and pay per stamp these days. It's essentially free to reach 2k people with an e-newsletter multiple times per month.

Reply #495841 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Annon, as someone who's jumped on the Sixers this season after they signed a friend of mine I've been pretty disappointed with their social media and website. We want to know what's going on but as far as any casual fan would know, TD signing is the last thing to happen in the joint..

United seem to have a dedicated Social Media girl and it works great for them. Now there's no need for every minute tweets or posts, but just some sort of heads up of what's going on would be half decent!

Reply #495843 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Solid Moves, you may have hit that preverbial nail on the head there, does the 36'ers group have a dedicated media person?

I am sure everyone in every NBL franchise has more than one hat to wear and they are all very busy people, so where is their incentive?

United had a huge incentive, do the other NBL clubs have such an incentive....?

What needs to be there to drive them and what return will they get for the extra effort (be it small or large) to promote this way?

Reply #495844 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

They have radio ads as well, well done to them!

Reply #495849 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Bear, I think that with the way the world is going in terms of IT transition a role that is at least .4 social media and media promotions is needed at ALL pro sports teams. That includes YouTube promos, updates, Q&A's, Facebook / Twitter, newsletters and all that jazz.

Unfortunately it all comes down to dollars. You're right in terms of United needing to push their brand but their success surely proves the need for this to be integrated into someones role, or, get some Uni Kid that is looking for a resume booster or to cross of some job experience hours?

Reply #495853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who? United?

Reply #495854 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bear you make a good point.

Whether they (united) will maintain the marketing in their successive years (when the glitz from the name change wears off) remains to be seen.

Id like to think the franchise has now set their benchmark and will at least always operate like this with marketing etc. But i doubt it.

Reply #495858 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I saw 3x Wildcats big poster signs on those revolving Bus Stop lit up signs on Saturday and their pennants were flying in Hay Street Mall on Saturday.

On Sunday I heard a membership advert on Commercial Radio.

Reply #495959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I live in Perth and have seen absolutely nothing."

Which rock do you live under?

Reply #495963 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

United are absolutely burning money this season in order to not flop. You don't have to do much in Melbourne at all to stumble into season & 3 & 7 game memberships being given away. It's not remotely sustainable for the long haul, and I don't know how much of this will turn into real concrete support down the track. They're also making bad marketing decisions like buying likes on facebook (they jumped from 25K likes to 28K likes in a single, uneventful day).

Still, as a Tigers fan, I'm disappointed they never put this much energy and work into developing the Tigers brand, which already had a loyal latent market, as well as a smaller active one. Why you wouldn't work with a club that already had proven longevity is beyond me.

Reply #495965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'United' sounds too much like 'Spirit' and they went the way of the 'Doddo Bird'

Agree with^ why didn't the same owners put this much effort into the Tigers franchise?

Reply #495990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can buy facebook likes? SAD!

"I live in Perth and have seen absolutely nothing."

same i've heard nothing

Reply #496105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing that worries me about the way in which United is trying to capture the whole Victotian market place is simply their apparent ignorance of the fact that one team in Victoria will not be sustainable.

Because without a rival team people will eventually become just bored with them and no one will care enough to stay and build a strong club for the long term.

They need to come out and say they don't fear a rival team coming into Victoria/Melbourne and embrace it, even work with them off court in the community and with local basketball Associations but also treat them as a fierce rival on the court.

Do this and you will incite the passion and supporters who will want to go to games and support the sport at the NBL level in Victoria. Don't do this and you will eventually stop growing and die like the Spirit did in Sydney, without doubt!

Reply #496228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What so Melbourne United need to leave a pocket of fans available for the next Melbourne based NBL side? You have to be kidding. They are taking advantage (rightfully so) of the market while there is no competition...

Reply #496229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read it again Anonymous, that's not what the post says at all!

Reply #496230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think about it and it makes sense. NBL in Melbourne crowds boomed due to the many Melbourne derbies and playoff series.

Melbourne is really into itself and that's how the league got massive crowds in the 90s with Tigers vs Magic vs Giants.

Reply #496247 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Anon is right, also if you drop off as the NBL did in Melbourne it takes no time for the AFL and other sports to suck up most of the sports fans.

Look at what the A=League is doing in Melbourne, it's hit the big time now and there is no stopping it!

So, if the NBL want to hang on in Victoria it can't be on the back of one club, no way in the world will it gain any traction whatsoever over the long term without a strong rival team or two...

This is nothing against the current United franchise, it is just stating my opinion on whether or not one team can flourish in a state the size of Victoria against other competing sports.

United have broken away from their roots and are starting fresh, fine but if they think they can do it alone, well I don't agree.

Reply #496415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754