mystro
Years ago

R2. Breakers Vs Sixers. Vector Arena

Adelaide head to Auckland to face the Breakers after going 1/1 in R1. whilst New Zealand grabbed a victory in Perth to start their season.

Tom Abercrombie is recovering from a Sports Hernia operation but trained today and is hoping to hit the floor on Friday against the Sixers depending obviously on how he goes this week at training. Unsure of weather he'll start or play off the bench behind TeRangi.

Cory Webster who played no part in the second half of the win over the Wildcats after jarring his back and leaving the court. He trained today and will also play on Friday barring any deterioration during the week. Expected to start.

Alex Pledger is expected to play limited minutes on Friday as the medical & coaching staff manage his foot injury and like the others he trained today without issue. Will play off the bench behind Ibekwe.

New Zealand will have to be on their toes for Adelaide but if they play how they did against the Wildcats defensively and continue to rebound how they did, they should get the win at home.
There are loads of great match ups to watch between these two teams.

Jackson Vs Wilson.
Carter Vs Gibson.
BigRed Vs Pledgehammer.
Creek Vs TeRangi.
Petrie Vs Vukona.
Ibekwe Vs Monteal.
BJ Anthony Vs Tai Wesley.

I s everyone healthy at the Sixers?

Topic #35662 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

The New Zealand Breakers are also retiring CJ Bruton's #23 to recognise the massive contribution he made to the club on Friday night.

Reply #498043 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Te Rangi's court date is also on Friday.

Reply #498045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers certainly aren't favourites so perhaps it's a chance to see where they're at after a 1-1 start. I'll be impressed if they can disrupt the Breakers at home.

Reply #498047 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

When you look at the match ups as Mystro has set out, it is closer than you would think on paper. Breakers imports are better, but it is quite a good match up across the board. Except that he forgot potentially the two most explosive scorers for the Breakers in Abercrombie and Webster.

I usually pick the Breakers form based on how quickly Vukona fouls out, but he played a limited role against Perth and they still got the W.

Breakers to win by <6 (perhaps on the memory of getting beaten by Ervin last year on a loose inbounds play) to win a close one.

Reply #498053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant see the 36ers even getting close in this one.

Reply #498070 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Nz aren't even at full strength and still beat Perth on the road so I expect thry will comfortably beat Adelaide at home.

Reply #498072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah this will be a blow out, no doubting it. Breakers are back, 6ers arent anything compared to last season.

Reply #498082 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Winning in NZ is always hard and this is the Breaker's game to lose. All the pressure is on them and if Reuben has a bad day in court, off court, then that will make it very interesting. I agree with Isaac, a Sixers win would be mighty impressive.

Peach v Vukona. That is my favourite match up. Get me a wading pool and some baked beans and that would do me just fine. Both would win the Sam Burgess award.

Jackson Vs Wilson - You would think Action
Carter Vs Crawf - Battle of the 3's. Carter might beat him in the hustle.
BigRed Vs Pledgehammer - The Pledge might be renamed "grasshopper" and learn from the master
Creek Vs Abba - we all know Creek>>Abba.

Settle back and enjoy a great game.

Reply #498099 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

will be interesting how TeRangi goes in court, hopefully the judge will take his and New Zealand's win in Perth into consideration when sentencing him. ;)

Reply #498100 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

NZ can easily cover Terangi...wont matter how he goes in court. If that is the 6ers best chance for a win then god help us!

Reply #498103 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Better call Saul

Reply #498128 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's early days but I think the Sixers will be one of the big over-achievers this year. Their roster on paper by my unprofessional evaluation is probably bottom two in the league but early signs have them playing the right way. An average offense with an elite defense should keep them competitive if they keep the effort level up.

Goes to show you really can't underestimate coaching in this or any league: it's the biggest advantage you can have especially because the spend is outside of the salary cap, and it's even more important in an 8 team league.

I'd say NZ will take this but it will be closer than you think.

Reply #498130 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mick...I think the Sixers are far from having an elite defense.

I didnt see the Townsville game so might have been different with Schensch anchoring the middle but Friday night against Cairns it was fairly average.

Reply #498160 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Tornado, the Sixers defence was significantly improved against Townsville. There was a lot of hustle and I thought they were getting their rotations right a lot more often than they have in the past. Schenscher did a great job of defending the rim as well.

Reply #498166 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Good to know Beantown...hopefully that remains the rule rather than the exception.

Reply #498178 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

while only yesterday, ch2,7,9 and 10 news were all ai sixers training and that was pretty good.
we fly to nz today and we gonna become road warriors.

Reply #498240 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

or road kill....

Reply #498265 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

36ers biggest job will be containment. Don't let the Breakers get into one of those crazy Jackson-led 15-2 runs. If that happens on Friday = game over.

I think the 36ers can steal this one (as hard as it will be) if they turn it into a grind.

Reply #498278 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If Vickerman falls in love with his original starting 5 whom over half of are nursing injuries, Adelaide has a very good shot at stealing a win but Vector up until last season was an absolute fortress for the Breakers.

Reply #498295 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

hoping the 36ers turn up not the 35ers or the 34ers

Reply #498317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, if NZ papers are to believed Pledger has accepted coming off the bench for the whole season (or whenever his buggered toe gives out and he goes under the knife) ...Abercrombie and Webster may start but Pledger definitely wont

Reply #498325 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I hope Dean goes with his head and not his heart and keeps his rotations going as he did against Perth. I thought his substitutions were pretty good in that game.

Reply #498336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's the inside word?

Reply #498457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers by 20

Reply #498467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broadcast has started

Reply #498598 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

NZ with 3 fouls inside 4 minutes, losing 5-10.

Please don't tell me you guys actually suck and you just happened to play a GF-esque game last week because we unveiled the banner... That would be really irritating.

Reply #498599 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

5 fouls racked up in less than half a quarter, 2 for Vukona in under 4 minutes of court time.

Do the Breakers run a book on who can foul out quickest?

Reply #498601 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

And there NZ goes, back to regular service.

Reply #498602 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

From an 0-8 start, the run has been 23-9.

Reply #498604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers lead at 28-19 Qtr time

The 36ers have blown the 8-0 start

Reply #498606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Montreal only played 45 seconds so far...injured or not up to it?

Reply #498608 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Foul trouble id say. He got 2 fouls in 50 secs of play.

Reply #498610 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Vukona picked up the 2 fouls in 3:45. Subbed in at a FT, fouls after the missed FT, gained a whole 1 second of court time before being subbed back out.

3 fouls in 3:46 and it isn't even half-time. Never change Vukona, never change.

Reply #498611 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Also on the topic of fouls; three offensive fouls by the 36ers so far in 2Q. How is Joey Wright taking it?

Reply #498612 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Im only seeing the stats but this game seems ugly foul-wise.
Vukona and Te Rangi on 3 fouls already.
Carter, Anthony, Teys, Montreal, Creek and Petrie on 2 fouls with still half of the second quarter to go.
Could be a few foul outs

Reply #498613 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"Offensive foul anyone......we're giving them out cheap, two for one if you are playing for the 36ers"

Ok, can anyone tell me if the three offensive fouls against the Sixers in the second quarter were warranted or is my inclination to want to blame home cooking justified (I'm at work and watching the live stats)

Reply #498614 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Sheesh, I thought Vukona was bad, didn't even notice DQ. 3 fouls picked up in 1:18. Ow.

Reply #498615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers up 50-39 at H/T

Reply #498616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster is killing us

Reply #498618 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

More fouls than minutes for DQ won't help his cause.
Breakers should easily get this done.

Reply #498619 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Tech called on Jamar Wilson at the end of the 2Q?

Reply #498620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep for flopping

Reply #498624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

wow

Reply #498626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Montreal is killing us. Big time game and he cant even compete, so as to start to prove his worth. This is not going very well for him.

Reply #498627 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Both teams have looked confused with the refereeing at times.

Reply #498630 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Wow... So he's not injured? He's just had 3 fouls in 1 minute, 18 seconds and has one turnover?
Yeah, I hear Virgin have some cheap airfares.

Reply #498631 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Is it all over ? or could they still come back?

Reply #498632 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I said Webster is in for a big year and will show people what he can do...much to peoples amusement on here who said he won't improve..

Webster will have a lot of nights like these this year

Reply #498633 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Te Rangi and Montreal both with identical stats :P
Montreal is more efficient though. Did it in 1/7 of the time.

Reply #498635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers up 81-55 at the end of the 3rd.

Reply #498638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Parker needs to put an end to this charade!

Reply #498639 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

Wilson; 4-15 @ 27%! seriously.....ball hog?

Reply #498640 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

All over red rover.

Reply #498642 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Liking Vickermans rotations, deep bench helps.

Reply #498643 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

quite right mystro. looking at second units. breakers have 35, 6ers have 16. disappointing given what we could do last year.

Reply #498645 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

10pt game.

Im going to be so mad if Breakers win by less than 8. There will go my TAB bet. I was laughing 10mins ago.

Reply #498646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to be a long season if changes aren't made soon. Fans been saying it all preseason surely now after an embarrassing loss they will make the call. Embarrassing as we were down by 25 points I don't care if they rallied late when the game was over.

Only positive for this season is at least we get to see some quality players even if they are on the opposition teams.

Ervin and DJ would be handy now.

Reply #498648 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wilson is not up to it IMO.

Reply #498650 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

On another note Montreal cant play D to save himself.

Reply #498651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers win 101-80

Reply #498652 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

21 point loss. Thats not too bad, At one point I was expecting an ever bigger blowout.

Reply #498653 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

Wilson starting 5? don't think so......maybe top scored with 15, but those stats don't lie for effiency.

down by 25, Wilson subs out. down by 10, subs in. lose by 21. enough said

Reply #498654 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Long season ahead sixers fans.

Reply #498655 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

21 point loss not that bad? Ok then..

I feel sorry for guys like Gibson and Petrie - they deserve better. They were the heart and soul of last year and the franchise has let them down. Guys like Crawford, Teys, Anthony, Daly, Creek..good players but let's be honest this is the leagues weakest bench and thats hurting them.

Reply #498656 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers showing some fighting spirit but not enough to get over NZ at home.

Jacksons 3point shooting has improved massively making him so much harder to guard & Webster had his jump shot on automatic tonight and as Macdub said, he's gonna have quite a few of these nights through the season.
Wesley is like having 2x Vukona's and Ibekwe with those long arms has been effective around the rim at both ends and Pledgers contributions have been valuable.
Abercrombie was the player of the game for me.

Reply #498657 | Report this post

Pig eater  
Years ago

SEABL players not up to NBL level

Sam johns to replace daly, new import by round 4

Reply #498658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any surprise the Breakers won the rebound count 48-31?

Reply #498659 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Well okay 21 dosnt look good. But anything 30+ would of gone to really bad. And they were within 10 at one point.

I think I need to see the 6ers play the Hawks to find out how they are really going.

Reply #498661 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

From the looks of things, we might be in for a long season.....unfortunately.

Reply #498662 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

BEen watching Wilson and really want to like him but he lets so many players go behind him.. Does he have any peripheral vision because the stats are not showing how much of a hole he creates.. Crawford Phft... Schensh can't move… Dean…. sort it out… and the entertainment while you are there. Joey can not work with this… Own it and fix it…

On the side

This feels like NBL of old with the game style and reffing… It is becoming boring… not a pinch on last season across the board..

Reply #498663 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Adelaide are ok but aren't quite good enough to compete with the elite. Was impressed with Wesley and Webster tonight. Adelaide need to win next game to take the pressure off. Montreal was good when he was - Wilson was terrible though too much 1 on 1.

Reply #498664 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Schensher was actually pretty good, was handy round the rim and blocked shots & changed even more. Without him Tai Wesley & Ibekwe both would have outscored Cory Webster.
Peter Crawford was a passenger/luggage, pick one...

Reply #498665 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

To everyone who wanted DJ gone and claimed over the past 2 years that he was a cancer on this team......wouldn't you love to have his 6-8 rebounds per game and his 16+ ppg now.

His 6'11" frame was big for us - literally. He did more than just score points and rebound. DJ didn't win the team MVP 3 years running by being a mug. And he was also young and healthy enough to produce 30+ minutes per game, something that our only true big, Luke Schenscher, can't produce these days (and I have nothing against Big Red, but age and injuries are catching up to him).

I do think the 36ers will be there or about come the playoffs, but I don't believe our current squad is as good as we were last season. The opening game against Cairns and tonight's loss to NZ showed that.

Reply #498666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reffing in first half was ott.

Vukona was targeted. Not good to see.

Breakers look much more solid than last year. 20 points flattered the 36ers really. Felt more like 30

Reply #498669 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Adelaide were pretty aggressive early and did earn a lot of those calls, NZ were tentative and took a little while to get into it and got beaten off the dribble and were getting whistled. Once they got their offence together and started putting Adelaide on the back foot the Breakers started getting those same calls.
Both teams did look completely bewildered as to what was happening when the whistle was blown more than once.

Rhys Carter once again impressed, ran the team well when Jackson was rested & seems to work well with Jackson or Webster and plays both ends of the floor.

Cory Webster 4/5 from beyond the arc, played some good D as well.

Tom Abercrombie came on and dropped a pair of 3's before quietening down but he played solid defence with 2 steals and 2 blocks. With TeRangi picking up quick fouls it was lucky Abercrombie was in a condition to contribute as much as he did after recent surgery.

NZ with good front court depth this season as long as Pledger can keep on the court. Wesley & Ibekwe both look like crafty versatile players and seem to be developing some chemistry with each other pretty quickly. They'll need to be with Vukona's current rate of picking up cheap fouls.

Vickerman has been pretty good so far. Liked his rotations and he has managed to stem the tide when come backs have been mounted and their lead was slipping away in both games and made adjustments which have worked but still early days and plenty of games to go.
It will be interesting to see if the Breakers can get up for the Melbourne game.

Reply #498681 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

HoldenV8, great points regarding DJ! People would say that if we lost DJ and had Gibson we would be just as good if not better... Yeah right. Hopefully people start to realise how important he was.

"I feel sorry for guys like Gibson and Petrie - they deserve better. They were the heart and soul of last year and the franchise has let them down."

How has the franchise let them down? More like they are currently letting the franchise down. Gibson was once again nothing short of embarrassing for a player of his quality.

I seriously don't know if it is Gibson out there or Kenny Powers. People as always will put the Gibson fanboy glasses on and go "he played well he got 12 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assist!". Lets be honest before the last quarter when the game was over he had 5 points @ 33%, 3 assist and 4 rebounds. Is that the type of production by the only Boomer in the league? In the last quarter when the game was completely over he had 7 points, 3 assist and 3 rebounds to pad his stats. In the Cairns game and this game he has played a total of 1 decent quarter (when the game was over). The guy is extremely talented and here is his time to be a leader, instead he plays the 4th or 5th option on the team. He needs to come out and be aggressive at the start of the game, not sit back and be a ghost.

One of the biggest reasons NZ pulled away with the game was because how Webster played compared to how Gibson played.

Other reasons were

* NZ killed us with their 3 point shots. Sometimes it was bad defense, other times there was just nothing we could do they were hitting it constantly. Jackson hitting 4 of 9, will he ever hit that many in one game again?

* Rebounding smashed again! DJ please come back.

* NZ defense was great and made every shot hard for us.

* I know we wouldn't have won anyway but the umpires were crap as usual. I didn't clearly see Wilson's flop was it worthy of a tech foul? That was a huge momentum swing going into the half from being down 4-6 to being down 11.

* FT could have been better.

There was quite a few negatives in this game but as HoldenV8 said we will be close to making the playoffs and there is no need for panic stations. So far we have lost to a red hot Cairns and NZ. Credit to NZ they are playing excellent basketball.

It was unfortunate Montreal was hampered by foul trouble early on. He ended with 13 in 16 minutes, most of it when the game was over but he looks confident shooting the 3.

Hawks at home next is an important win we need to get.

Reply #498683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the Breakers there guards killed us in the end.

To be honest i expected us to be 1W 2L at this point, as a rule you try to win most your home games and steal a few on the road, so yea was expecting 2 losses at this point, as long as we win our next game at home we are on par and doing ok.

Montreal was good when he played in the 2nd half, if you also consider he would be likely among the cheapest import in the league i reckon we would struggle to really upgrade him unless we have some more money to spend on the spot, which we dont, overall i reckon he is ok and good value for money.

Wilson/the team needs to get the ball moving a bit better then the offense will look better, i reckon it will come with time, he isnt as good as Ervin, but Ervin and Joey didnt seem to get along so we had to make the change, i dont think its that massive a drop off at the same time. One option i wanted them to explore is play Gibson PG and get a 6'6 athletic shooting guard in the Farley mould, i reckon that style of player would really help this team, but overall not too upset with Wilson, he has been ok, and will gel better over the course of the season.

Not a great game or start to the season but i still say its not all gloom and doom.

Reply #498684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the rebounds on the Sixers defensive end were snared by NZ. That's the ball game right there.

Like him or not Ervin has swag and an air of confidence that spread across the team - Wilson doesn't produce that.

Reply #498686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, Ervin was great! Also liked the swagger he bought to the team, we need to get that swanfidence back!!

Even before he was a 6er him and Cedric Jackson were my favourite NBL imports in the last few years, was so glad when we had one of them on our team last year.

Pity him and Joey didnt seem to work out, as Ervin really played well with the team imo.

Wilson is a good player, not Ervin though, he just needs to get the ball moving more and a few others like Gibson need to do more offensively and i reckon our guard rotation/team will be fine.

But we wont be quite as good as last season, but should be in the playoff mix imo.

Next Thursday is a must win though!

Reply #498687 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I remember the people who loved to disrespect DJ and wished he would leave the club

They went on and on about the poor D, the softness inside, the shorts pulling.

I said before that they would regret wishing that, now look.

Reply #498690 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

DJ sucked for 3 seasons and played to his potential for one. Then he left. That's all.

If he had sucked for 3 seasons and then stayed and played to his potential for the next 3 - all good.

But Adelaide and its fans were played. In fact they are only people he outplayed consistently for 3 years.

Reply #498692 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think you need to stop has selling the so called DJ haters. Most people saw potential and his attitude for what ever reason... being young or the coach doesn't matter, but las season quickly gave us the DJ we all knew he could be and now respect him and would have liked to see him continue under Joey and with the team so we could all see where he could go… No hating just wanting to see him hit his potential and yes we all would love him back right now..

Like Perth hey, bring back our team, but we have no money amongst other advantages that some teams have been gifted so here we are, back to the old days.. Hoping for more but not expecting it and thats not hating, just reality………..

Reply #498697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice prediction #498467

Reply #498701 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wilson questioned the tech and finally appeared to agree that it was too blatant to not be called.

Reply #498718 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's early in the season, but so far Adelaide have struggled against what look like two standout teams, and beat a team that will be in the pack, which is what most "non-haters" expected.

If they can fix the rebounding, a big if, they can challenge for a low playoff spot. Big home game next Thursday.

Reply #498720 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

hope the lads behind us at home games are pleased DJ has gone. Bet they'll be even happier with the crap dished up by Wilson in the last few games. Least DJ hit shots, Wilson brings what? me/me/me/I/I/I?

please tell me cos im dying to know

Reply #498738 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

Wilson has no defence. Watch how many back doors he leaves open. No peripheral vision

Reply #498791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754