Matthew
Years ago

Racist Twitter attacks on Childress

It is downright disgusting what people are saying when mentioning Josh Childress online. Ill add Idiotic, amazingly bad etc.

These people should be singled out and either banned from breathing or banned from Social Media. He had a brain snap, we have all had one at some point.

He apologised and moved on. Its time people do the same.

Topic #35759 | Report this topic

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

+1

Reply #500193 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It is boring and predictable that some people are more offended by a troll telling Childress to go back to the states, than they are by Childress using a MMA move in a basketball game.

Reply #500194 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

He did what he did, still no one should be called anything. We all came into this world the same way and we should get treat that way. What he did has trigged those remarks, like we have said, no player deserves to get k'od the way he did, that was insane, bit higher he could ove killed him, if he fell the wrong way. Like the one punch law, he provoked me, that dont matter! That was a dog act and u can't get lower than what he did! Cheap shot! But yea, never liked racism or any other form of taking the piss on some one!

Reply #500195 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

He could have killed him????? LOL

What a joke.

Reply #500197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you think one punch deaths work, Fanciful? 5cm higher on Wagstaff's face and we'd being having a very different conversation right now.

Reply #500198 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Childress is lucky neither of the following 2 scenarios played out, otherwise we'd indeed be talking very differently about the whole event:

1. Wagstaff could've easily been concussed, or suffered a neck or head injury

2. The Cats players might not have handled it in such a level headed fashion, and a melee could have erupted

Reply #500199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some real stupid people out there. If Wagstaff was hospitalized or worse a bunch of anti Perth fans would be having a field day.
These idiots attacking Childress on social media are gutless cowards.

Reply #500200 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Childress is gutless and those attacking him in a racist manner are no better!

Reply #500201 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

ahhhh the ole tu quoque logical fallacy.....

"what he did triggered those remarks" pleeease..

Childress's action doesn't justify the racist abuse, no matter what hypothetical injuries he may have received.

What if Childress had been to west Africa and infected Wagstaff with ebola on the hit??
What if Childress hit him so hard he lost his sense of touch and now he can't cuddle kittens?????

Lets deal with what happened:

The hit was totally uncalled for and should be judged on that context alone, regardless of provocation.

The abuse is out of line REGARDLESS of what Childress's did.

Reply #500202 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

To be honest I hope all of the Aussies in the NBL give him the treatment now! Play him hard! Show them us Aussies play tough and wont take shit from an arrogant American.

Reply #500206 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Many of the comments he has been copping on social media are definitely way beyond any level of acceptability.

Reply #500210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Baller #3 maybe we should just ban Americans!! Aussies play tough LMFAO

Reply #500214 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

To be honest the couple of tweets listed by @king Podge above aren't racist, that said not sure there is any need for it as he'll be reminded of the hit everytime he steps onto the floor by local fans in every venue.

Reply #500216 | Report this post

brett  
Years ago

No action gives the right for anyone to say the things they have to childress. What he did was dirty and unacceptable no doubt but for people to say if he'd did this or that it could've been alot worse. Well that's obvious, but he didn't. If last year Gary Ervin accidently got Goulding 10 inches higher and Goulding already had a bad heart and then fell onto a part of the court where someone had previously smashed a glass then he could've died of a heart attack and could've sliced his hand off trying to break his fall. But luckily that didn't happen.

Reply #500218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is the most racist country what do you expect?

Reply #500219 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher there at a lot of tweets that are and have been deleted. But you don't have to be racist to be offensive, unless some were referring to Childress as being a bundle of sticks or a meatball made of offal...

Anon: Racism exists in Australia, but if you think Australia 'is the most racist' then you haven't spend anytime outside of Australia......

Reply #500223 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no matter how much of a dick Childress was committing that foul on Wagstaff he doesn't deserve this treatment.

one single act doesn't define a person.

Did anyone think any less of Phil Jones after he punched Shaun Redhage?
I certainly didn't ;)

Reply #500225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Childress did is wrong and has been / will be punished.

What these racists on twitter have said is wrong, yet will likely go unpunished.

Don't connect the two. The first act was wrong, but does not excuse the second despicable reaction. Anyone who sees otherwise is mentally deficient.

Reply #500230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brett is unfamiliar with how one-punch attacks work too. Maybe they don't have them in Narnia.

Reply #500234 | Report this post

CatsFan  
Years ago

Those comments are disgusting, no one deserves to be spoken to like that regardless of who they are or what they've done. Whoever is saying that stuff is an embarrassment.

Reply #500241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been all over the world and i still think Australia is one of the most racist - and I'm a white Anglo male

Reply #500249 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

And if it had been the other way round and Wagstaff had hit Childress, would his skin colour or birthplace been an issue? Pathetic. Childress stuffed up, apologised, will get punished. That's it.

Reply #500253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally some sanity in this thread. Thanks WTF.
Maybe now Isaac can close this thread preventing any more ridiculous replies.

Reply #500256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"an arrogant American"

I haven't met the guy or seen more than a couple of his NBL games, but he doesn't seem particularly arrogant. In fact, he's probably seemed quite unselfish on court from what I've seen.

No doubting his hit on Wagstaff was way over the top and should mean he misses at least a game.

Reply #500259 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sydney should have announced an internal club suspension for his on court behaviour.

Reply #500263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EVERY country in the world has a minority racist element.

Reply #500265 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Where can I read these racist comments? Was it just one troll on Twitter?

Reply #500266 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Interesting how people hide behind their tweets, wonder if they were to actually come face to face with Childress would they repeat their words? Highly doubt it.

Reply #500276 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

keyboard warriors

Reply #500283 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have little interest in knowing what was said, I don't have twitter and I am not buying into the alleged attack on Childress, I have no time for racism and in any case I hope he understands Aussies are not like that (I'm sure he does).

I do have an issue however with anon poster #500249, who I am sure has also posted other comments in this thread.

Mate, whoever you are, no need to mention your skin colour or the fact you are anglo (whatever that means to you), because if you had your eyes open and ears clear while you were all over the world as you put it, you might have noticed something?

Australia is one of the most respectful, open and accommodating, peaceful, easy going and tolerant cultures going around.

We don't have some of the most livable cities in the world for no reason and maybe you have not been in our schools lately, to observe how kids from many different cultures and races get along without batting an eye lid...

Maybe it's, dare I say it, maybe it's you that has the issues mate, white anglo BSA (give me a break)!

Reply #500284 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

^^ +1

Reply #500287 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

It is very unfortunate that Race had to come into it.

I would never see it as a coloured person hurting a non-coloured or differently coloured person.

Its just one person committing a unsportsmanlike act.

Shame on those people who want to turn everything Black Vs White.

Reply #500296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why you are so upset with my comment Bear. My point is that I see far too much racism in our country in this day and age. I wish I could say that I don't but I do. Maybe I have had trips around the world which did not give a proper representation of what the countries can be like in regards to racism. I point out that I am white simply because I am not in the minority in this country and I am fortunate enough to not be speaking as a result of racism directed at me. and I see too much racism towards minority groups. I see all people as equal, but to say there is not an issue with racism in Australia is naive.

I could go on but I don't want to hijack this thread with discussions about burka bans, racist rants, Cronulla culture, refugee talk etc.

Reply #500298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^no idea

Reply #500299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok I'll ignore all studies (there are many), personal experiences, UN reports, bleeding obvious for the sake of agreeing with you and say that Australia is not racist. I wasn't bagging out our great country but in order to change we need to at least acknowledge our short comings.

Reply #500311 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I just saw one basketball player clobber another basketball player.....why the hell are we talking bout colours here.

Reply #500321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez Bear maybe rename yourself to Camel, with your head in the sand. It clearly established the racists attacks occurred on Twitter. Australia is far from "one of the most respectful, open and accommodating, peaceful, easy going and tolerant cultures going around". Many aussies are bigoted, set in the past and out right racist, bullies and self opinionated.
The PC people talk all the nice words about respect, non bias, age discrimination, racism etc and when all the PC words go out the door, we see exactly what Aussies and many other are like. The hate the indigenous, discriminate all the time in many scenarios, totally sexist towards women, and many many more, and that's just the Aussies, not the 'aussies' that are born here and have their parents bigoted views. Aniamlas all.So much so that "Josh Childress will deactivate his Twitter account and take an indefinite break from social media after the Sydney Kings import copped racial abuse following his ugly forearm on Perth opponent Jesse Wagstaff."

Ignorance too is something many Aussies are guilty of as well.

Reply #500336 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks anon^, great feedback there mate. I take it you are assuming the twitter account was in fact owned and operated by an Aussie, not someone from another country and you have proof of this do you?

I agree @Train, it should be about the sport and nothing more, but this thread is about some racial attack on twitter, unfortunately...

Reply #500346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been mentioned elsewhere about who may have tweeted the hatred yes. So now you chose to believe it. Amazing. Live in your perfect world mate. Most here live in the real world.
Not ignorance and stupidity.

Reply #500362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post Boti!

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/f-wits-make-it-hard-to-keep-chillin/

Reply #500383 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"It clearly established the racists attacks occurred on Twitter. "

So far I have seen nothing to suggest it was more than one person, but it is still being labelled as "racist attacks" (plural). Ok, the person technically posted multiple tweets, but it was still just the one person. Why are stupid comments by one hot-headed keyboard warrior newsworthy? Or even being used to evidence the attitudes of a whole culture? To use one person's actions/comments to draw such a conclusion would be as idiotic as using the Childress incident as evidence that African-Americans are excessively hot-headed and violent.

The news article has the posts by this user (with swear words and that racially sensitive word blacked out) and he was clearly fired up and trying to insult. So what? It is one person being a d-head. If we publicised every d-heads idiotic comments on Twitter we would be flooded with Twitter news every second. Update the headlines to "racist Twitter attack" and it seems more accurate IMO.

Reply #500387 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

True @rjd, one person's racial slur or one person's stupid act shouldn't implicate that a whole country is full of racists (such as it is being implicated by uneducated and opinionated anon' posters on here), Boti has also shown common sense and restraint.

History shows that racism was rife in the past, all over the world. The internet has changed the media landscape, we now need to move forward from this and learn that social media is a powerful tool that shouldn't be miss used.

Like Boti, I have first hand experience of racism and have grown up in different times, these days we don't accept things like we did 10-20+ years ago. I don't accept that today's average Aussie is considered a racist, but of course they are still out there!

Reply #500389 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

in australia racist remarks are illegal.
aust govt.,attorney general keen to change that.
'everyone has the right to be a bigot.' he told us

Reply #500429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Bear, I am uneducated and opinionated because I draw my conclusions from legitimate studies, experiences and international reports while you are just a beacon of knowledge because you draw your conclusions from observing kids getting along.

Just agree to disagree. I am not going to call you names because your opinion doesn't match mine. I thinks its great that you don't see as much racism in Australia as I do.

Reply #500468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An self confessed uneducated anonymous poster who studies legitimate and international reports, wow I am impressed.

Reply #500473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. You don't pick up sarcasm well
2. Everyone is anonymous on here. Sure I could put Bear as my name but I'm still anonymous
3. It's not hard to do some research you should do the same

Reply #500485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear should just stick to another ill informed expert opinion on basketball. Far safer.

Reply #500486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sick of hearing wot childress did was wong. He is obviously not used to the physical play we have. Athletes hitting athletes is a little different than a random king hitter in the streets. He wasn't charging at him from behind, he was facing up for the block simple accident.

Reply #500974 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'974...

I sincerely hope the next time you play basketball (if you can play), that someone 'faces up for the block' the same way on you.

Reply #500978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick of all these one punch swats in Kings Cross.

Reply #500995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754