Isaac
Years ago

36ers have released Daequon Montreal

The Adelaide 36ers have released import Daequon Montreal.

Montreal was recruited from the Dandenong Ranger in the SEABL competition.

He unfortunately didn't quite show the same form he did at SEABL level and had some minor injury issues.

The club wishes him well and hopes he gets another chance at NBL level.
36ers site (though that is the full, sparse announcement).

Topic #35815 | Report this topic

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Sixers literally confuse me... Thought they were short on the dollar and went with the budget import but they'll now have to pay Q out and Motum?

Should press the panic button a little harder and release Wilson while they're at it too.....

Good move to get Motum, but the backstory shades it all

Reply #501169 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Good to know I'm not the only one Solid Moves.

Reply #501171 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Tornado - glad there's two of us.. I'd never throw shade of a choice to get a great Aussie player but the circumstances just don't add up.. Plenty of Summer League imports they could have chased and be on top from day one.

Reply #501172 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

There's a possible, genius if true, but probably not true, explanation for having the money now, when we didn't before.
That is that we went with a cheap import early in the season, to see if we can get away with going cheap, while leaving a portion of the cap on the side (or just money in the 'Marquee Player Fund'), waiting for the NBA list deadline, in case someone like Motum (or an American) gets cut. That way we'd be ready to go if that eventuates.
Would teams do that? It's a risky move, but could pay off handsomely if the right player becomes available.
Pretty sure Perth have done similar before. Gone with a 9 Aussie cheaper line-up for half the season, until they have the salary left to pay an import to end the season and for the playoffs. Think it was Galen Young from memory?

Reply #501174 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I was under the impression that most if not all import contracts were only partially guaranteed prior to a certain deadline (in Dec or Jan?), and after that date the contract would be fully guaranteed. From memory, this was a topic of discussion during the CJ Massingale saga.

If this is the case - I could very easily be incorrect - then Adelaide wouldn't have to pay out Montreal's entire contract.

Given Motum's contract and the 36ers financial situation is mostly speculation, they may not be worse off signing Motum. He may even bring in enough sponsorship $$$, merchandise sales, larger crowds and (hopefully) home playoff games to justify the move.

Reply #501175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if it is not true, Sixers should start claiming it now.

Was his contract Guaranteed??

Reply #501177 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Man, if you were a SEABL import you'd have to really think before making the jump up to the Sixers if called up...

Still, it's a business, and this guy should have never been signed. Sixers needed an elite player in that role and DQ was never going to be anything more than solid.

Reply #501178 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Is it true they have signed Motum for next season as well if so that might explain him being on Montreal money now and big money next season.

Reply #501181 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt Brock Motum would have taken "Montreal money"...

Reply #501186 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

"Given Motum's contract and the 36ers financial situation is mostly speculation, they may not be worse off signing Motum. He may even bring in enough sponsorship $$$, merchandise sales, larger crowds and (hopefully) home playoff games to justify the move".

Playmaker Mo...a lot of imports, even just a new face to the league (with the exception of SEABL) can do that for you so why not go with that mentality from the get go?

The issue with SEABL imports stepping up to the NBL is not that they arent talented enough but need time to adjust and settle in. Unfortunately a lot of teams and their fans cant afford that time luxury.

Reply #501187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't have to pay out Montreal's contract. If an import is waived early (something like first two months of the season or first 10 games) the club don't owe them a cent.

We went through all this when we released CJ Massingale just before his contract was to become guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Reply #501189 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think they really felt DQ could step up hence they took the chance on him.

If Motum wasn't available they might have tuck with DQ and let him try and play thru the injury.

I've seen a lot worse imports in the NBL so all power to DQ & I hope he gets another shot.

Reply #501197 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

So much for Joey's recruiting coup.

Reply #501198 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If DQ settled, got comfortable and let the game come to him. Got over the nerves etc., he could have been a handy import. Had some good qualities. But he isn't a Boomers level talent, so Motum is a solid upgrade. And fills a role we need more than DQ as a bit of tweener did.
DQ seems like he was a little bit lost at times. Not quite sure where he was meant to be on the court. Then when he found himself in good positions, he was a little anxious to make things happen, so forced it. Often spent it before he had it which led to turnovers. Had talent though.

Reply #501200 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Motum would not be short of cash after Jazz Pre Season and his Euro stint. His focus now would be to prepare for the Olympics and keep on getting better to have another opportunity to try for NBA again next year. Good enough for Ennis and the rest of the imports so why not Motum. Working with Boomer Gibbo and under Joey with his mate TEys who could be a show for the Boomers in the future and Peach and ex NBA Schensh gives him a quality team close to home to achieve this. All good by the sounds of it. Money isn't always the motivator.

Reply #501202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Man, if you were a SEABL import you'd have to really think before making the jump up to the Sixers if called up...
Yeah, you could sit and wait for all those other chances coming through...

And yes, I think the availability of Motum as well as injuries provided a bit of encouragement.

Reply #501203 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

DQ doesn't have to be paid out the full season.
His salary can now be amortised monthly over the rest of the season
If Montreal was on 80k for the season Motum can be paid 20k per month and the team is still under the cap.
If Motum is signed for 2 years he could easily take a bigger slab of cash in year 2 to balance it all out.

Reply #501204 | Report this post

master chief  
Years ago

Who writes these press releases ?

Reply #501210 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

By the looks of it Motum might just be the inspiration for Teys to be more aggressive and put up a solid 12ppg

Watching Gibson against the Breakers was amazing, I wish he played that aggressive every game offensively

Reply #501211 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

KET,

Joey has asked Gibbo to play more agressively this season and it has shown in his numbers in all 5 games so far...

He was challenged by Joey to do so...

Hopefully he cant balance the Offence with the Defence and produce more games with similiar numbers...

Gibbo was in FULL BEAST MODE yesterday!

Reply #501212 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah I think a collection of circumstances probably forced the club to reassess the import situation. I suspect negative members feedback could have contributed. But perhaps it was also just that an opportunity presented itself.

We don't know exactly what happened over the off-season. Maybe the club were closer to signing Ingles or a big time import than we think, but it fell through and we ended up with DQ because other targets didn't pan out.

Once Motum became available, perhaps the club thought: "holy smokes, this is the perfect player for our team. The current team made the grand final last season, and have already shown the talent and heart of a contender. Lets go all in and get that final piece of the puzzle".

Reply #501214 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, I meant to say that I think the club (and its financial backers) should be congratulated for assessing the situation and having the courage and wherewithal to make a big adjustment like this.

Reply #501216 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

A bit off-topic, but Solid Moves would be a great name for a high-fibre constipation treatment product.

Reply #501217 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Everyone wants to knock those who actually pay the bills and make the decisions. Everyone is suspicious.

As NBL and Sixers fans lets be thankful 6ers management positioned itself well enough to land what could be our biggest fish yet.
Not a James Ennis type, but hopefully a guy who can help get us results and give some other players even more confidence to play with flair.

I feel a bit sorry for DQ, just like CJ Massingale, cirecumstacnes didn't allow them to show they actally couldbengreat player in the NBL. But that is Professional sport.

Reply #501237 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Shame Gibbo is out of contract at season's end.
Name your price.

Reply #501290 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

MMmmmmm 2 years out of Olympics and Motum likely a Boomer, Teys potential if he keeps on this trajectory and likely Gibbo with performances like Sunday will be there again. I'm thinking he'll stay for another year if Motum doesn't get an NBA contract..

Reply #501300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Gibson has an option for next season but yes could opt out.

Reply #501308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say our best bet keeping guys like Gibbo is having people like Motum, Petrie and Joey at the club, which we do and also winning our fair share of games, so im fairly optimistic he will stick around, but i guess if someone does offer him huge $$$ he could be tempted.

Reply #501311 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Gibbo is a loyal fella so unless the club does anything silly I'm pretty sure he will stick around.

Reply #501349 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think anon is on the mark. The club has done a great job in getting and keeping good people to build around, from the coach down. Look at Perth and NZ, and Adelaide is starting to build a similar core.

It looks as if they've offered Motum a good deal for next year, perhaps using some of Schenscher's money, and that's another reason for others to stay if Brock doesn't pick up an NBA deal.

On a side night, I wonder if Adelaide have offered Motum a mid-season NBA out-clause and the opportunity to attend veteran's camp next year and then return if he doesn't make it, something European teams prob wouldn't.

Certainly that flexibility is a winner for our league ala Ennis last year, Daniels and McRae this year.

Reply #501353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets, Dragons, Blaze and then 6ers? Hard to say, eveyr team gibbo has played for has gone under!

Reply #501391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On a side night, I wonder if Adelaide have offered Motum a mid-season NBA out-clause and the opportunity to attend veteran's camp next year and then return if he doesn't make it, something European teams prob wouldn't.
I think he could've asked for almost any concession he wanted as long as it didn't cost the club more.

Reply #501397 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #501391...you cant blame Gibbo for his teams going under.

He did stay loyal to the Blaze right up until the end when it was clear the team wouldnt be going forward.

Reply #501403 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

2 of the 4 (hopefully we make it 3) have also won championships.
Hopefully we keep that trend going and not the going under thing.

Reply #501408 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

Amazing isn't that still that the teams go under because of players. Lets simply ignore the fact that the Bullets had a dodgy owner. HOw is that Gibbos fault?

Reply #501436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or that the Dragons' owners cracked the shits at the NBL and bailed. Ignore the petty troll please.

Reply #501438 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Blaze went down pretty much exactly the same way, didn't they?

Reply #501442 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Not sure the exact reason for Blaze going under but I thought it was financial issues. Didnt Brendan Joyce sue the club for the remainder of his contract right before they went under ?

Reply #501443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754