brett
Years ago

Jordan's Mcrae's tweet after Adelaide game

Good to see professionalism 101 being presented by jordan mcrae with his "welp another 5 against 8 game" tweet. Get your wallet out mate.

Topic #36082 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

a few of them gettin into it now...very nice.

Reply #506430 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

classic tweet

Reply #506432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather than blaming the refs I think Melbourne should take a look at themselves with their love of the 3 ball and unwillingness to rebound.

Reply #506436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABSOLUTELY

Reply #506452 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide killed Melbourne 45-24 on the boards. With the 36ers having that much extra ball is it any wonder Melbourne lost? That and Melbourne's love of shooting 3's that last night weren't dropping like they did a few weeks ago.

Sure, the refs were their usual crap selves last night, but they didn't lose the game for United. Maybe they need to look within. Players arguing with the coach and assistant on the sidelines isn't a good thing.

Reply #506469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody sooks! Was all their way last week against the crocs. Refs took Gladness right out of the game for them.

Reply #506473 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McRae shouldn't be openly whinging like this...but let's face it, he is right.

If the nbl ever decides to start enforcing the 3 second rule, BJ Anthony will be out of a job. For example check the 4th quarter, 7:26 to 7:13, he stays in the key for 13 seconds resulting in a score. This was a minute after several Adelaide players were in there for 4 or 5 seconds as Petrie had the ball from 8:29- 8:24.

Many of Melbourne,s 27 fouls were soft, too. We could call this home cooking.

So 1. Stop the home cooking and 2. Start consistently making foul calls 3. Look up the rules and check out the rule about being allowed in the lane for 3 seconds on offense. All 3 are justifiable complaints. But as I said, McRae should focus on the game. He's too good to get affected by Adelaide BBQ, and niggles from lesser men like Creek

Reply #506477 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne got a good run with the refs in the second half when they made their run. The game was poorly called, as sadly most are at the moment, but neither team got a great advantage of that.

Reply #506479 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just rewatched those 2, to be fair Anthony was only in there for 11 seconds or so. And Petrie 6 secs on the first one- 8:30 to 8:24. They love pitching their tents. The 36ers should be sponsored by bCF or Ray's.

Seriously though, Adelaide's offense is heavily reliant on curl cuts, high lows and posting up, if I was coach of an opposing team and we had a game coming up against them, I'd quietly make mention of this to the Nbl.

Reply #506481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess if I barracked for a team that's allergic to paint I'd spend my time complaining about the other team going in there too!

Reply #506483 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha. Good call. I'll pay that one.

Reply #506484 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LV you are right.

The three second call has just been forgotten about.

Melb shot way too many threes last night - 30 odd?

I do wonder whether the love for the three ball is a result of the poor reffing and the fact that players are getting discouraged from driving to the rack because of the probability of getting absolutely hacked and not getting the foul.

Melb lost the game last night no doubt but i do wonder whether there is a correlation there.

Reply #506495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2014/15 season is quickly becoming known as the Year of the Finger Pointing. All that's been happening is everyone blaming everyone else but themselves when things go wrong. It's completely unprofessional.

Reply #506498 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

LV,

2nd Quarter 9:54 (a touch under)-9:48 Kickert in the key
3rd Quarter 3:24-3:19 MacMillan in the key

Reply #506502 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

First of all, let me say that the United lost this game last night, not the refs for them.

However I find it odd that when the Sixers get home cooking, it is OK.

But when the Wildcats get the odd call, there is a huge conspiracy all the way up to Marvin.

Reply #506510 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Marcus Camby, what home cooking did we get last night? LV has two post about 2 calls (which Melbourne also got away with 2 3 second calls) and makes a generalisation about the 27 calls.

So I ask where was the huge discrepancy of home court calls?

Reply #506512 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Tomlinson and Kickert both had a whinge on Twitter about the refs too, it's beyond pathetic that nearly a third of the team would sook publicly about the refs after they've just been soundly beaten by double digits and were outrebounded by such a huge margin, it wasn't exactly a Darnell Mee / Damon Lowry call.

Reply #506523 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Very unprofessional

Reply #506527 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Home cooking? Must have been at a different game!

The officials missed as many as they called, and called a good few that were barely there if at all, but it was good to see them calling some of the holding, shirt-tugging etc that passed for Melbourne defence.

My issue was the amount of time Worthington, in particular, with D-Mac not far behind and Walker also weighing in, spent talking one-on-one with Melbourne referee during breaks in the game. Never one of the others - just the 'main man' from their home town. Maybe he was the referee and the others were mere umpires.

I'd like to think those attempts to influence the officiating resulted in extra reluctance to favour Melbourne in any 50:50 call, though saw no evidence of that, either way.

Could explain some of the petulance though, if the usual tactics failed to influence the officiating outcomes.

And was it just me, or have the officials woken up and changed the mechanics so there is not a referee/umpire camped adjacent to the team benches where the coach can double as a referee assessor - and attempt to influence the calling?

Reply #506528 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sixers get a very cushy ride with the refs when we're home.
Every single team does. The umps are way too easily swayed by the crowd.

Reply #506530 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Hendo8888 "Sixers get a very cushy ride with the refs when we're home."

When has this happened this entire season? Not once this season at home has Adelaide had this advantage.

Reply #506532 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Tomlinson, Kickert & McRae should all be fined for those tweets - absolutely ridiculous. Webster got fined last year by the Breakers

Reply #506533 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@Hendo8888 "Sixers get a very cushy ride with the refs when we're home."

At the end of R9, the average foul count was 18.6 to 20.4 (H:A)

On the home courts.
NZB: 20.7 v 20.1 (+0.6)
MEL: 21.0 v 20.6 (+0.4)
TVL: 20.8 v 20.7 (+0.1)
WOL: 16.2 v 18.5 (-2.3)
CNS: 17.2 v 19.7 (-2.5)
PER: 15.0 v 17.7 (-2.7)
ADL: 21.2 v 24.3 (-3.2)
SYD: 16.3 v 21.7 (-5.3)

If you looked at that alone, Sydney gets the dream run and NZ get stiffed. However, teams plays basically the same style and so if the refs were consistent would expect the foul count at home to be similar to the foul count away. Just looking at the home court fouls doesn't take into consideration the team's play style. Looking at the home vs away foul count is a much fairer way to consider any "home court advantage". Teams should attract fouls at the same rate regardless of the court.

PER: 15.0 vs 19.8 (+4.8)
CNS: 17.2 vs 20.3 (+3.1)
NZB: 20.7 vs 23.3 (+2.6)
WOL: 16.2 vs 18.4 (+2.2)
SYD: 16.3 vs 18.4 (+2.1)
ADL: 21.2 vs 21.7 (+0.5)
MEL: 21.0 vs 20.6 (-0.4)
TVL: 20.8 vs 20.3 (-0.5)

Based on that, the true "home court advantage" ranges from Townsville getting stiffed -0.5 fouls per game and Perth get an advantage of 4.8 fpg. Knowing that the away teams gets an average 1.8 fpg, the team with the most home court advantage is Perth with 3 fpg. They are also the team with the lowest average fpg on their home court (15.0 fpg)

Reply #506534 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jack Toft don't use logic on Melbourne fans

Reply #506536 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

or Perth fans

Reply #506537 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, I know!

Reply #506539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was meant to be logical?

Reply #506540 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

When I was young, it seemed that the NBL was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.

Reply #506542 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I have never understood why the foul count is supposed to relatively equal.

Reply #506544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the topic of rebounding, it's in part a product of Melbourne's recruiting. Kickert isn't really a traditional rebounding big, and guys like Walker, Worthington, Barlow are closer to small forwards than power forwards. Matching the 36ers on the boards and post defence were two areas in which they struggled last night.

Reply #506546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watch the game again, we had good run for a. Change! We were not very good though our D is crap and Mel got a bad run from the refs.

Reply #506548 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Harry, just because a foul count isn't equal doesn't mean it's favouring a side.

Not making any excuses for the refs though...

Reply #506550 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

LOL,
Adelaide logic = "Teams should attract fouls at the same rate regardless of the court."

And why is it so, Einstein?

Pure genius!

Possibly for the same reason that teams should score the same number of points, should have the same number of turnovers, same number of rebounds - regardless of the court.

It makes sense. After all - both teams have the SAME number of players on the court - regardless of the court.

Reply #506553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot was made mention about Perth only committing 11 fouls against the Hawks last week but not much of the Hawks shooting more than half of their FGA from behind the arc.

Reply #506556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The stats are pretty simple this year, Perth conceding twice as many free throws away as at home. No question the crowd plays a huge role.

Reply #506561 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

peterward, if you decided to read properly, as hard as that may seem to be for some people, you would have seen that the argument leveled against the Adelaide fans is that the 36ers have an advantage in the reffing through strong bias in extra fouls called against the away sides.

What you're saying is really what the opposing fans are arguing and the contrary to what Adelaide fans are arguing. You're going to need to 180 on that one.

If you had read Jack's post, which Paul rightly interprets, is that a team such as say, Perth, seems to foul considerably less at home games then they do in away games which would suggest either a hint of home court favour, or they play a completely different defensive style away. The former is probably more likely.

Reply #506570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have been on the end of some horrid umpiring games this season...I dont think you can say they have been favoured.

Need I remind you of the Wilson getting bowled over incident while he was just standing there...

Reply #506600 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

You can't just add the fouls up and say ooooohhhhh advantage Club X.

It's just a ridiculously childish and simple way to look at stats and attempt to make a judgement on bias.

Reply #506608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really. When there are major discrepancies in the stats it makes sense to ask questions.

As for an opinion, I think home bias is pretty common in the NBL (and many other comps) and it seems the teams with the biggest crowds and best organised defences (Perth and NZ) benefit from it most.

Reply #506618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt we get an advantage at home. It's a combination of the crowd, and as paul just said, the organized defence. It's disciplined for 40 minutes and the refs seem to respect that.

We don't get an advantage because of some conspiracy regarding Nick Marvin being the chairman and paying the refs etc etc and anyone who suggests that is probably a few cans short.

Reply #506623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask questions - yes.

Treat it like it is the gospel - no.

The Perth obsession is getting a little boring - they are a good basketball team ...something it appears to be rarely acknowledged.

Reply #506624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good but not great

Reply #506819 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ah, all the Adelaide supporters suddenly don't like it when the Shoe of Home Town Bias Accusations is on the other foot!

Reply #506822 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

the nbl is in trouble agen, being sued for copyright
the reason for the legal action is the impersonation by nbl refs being too close to the three blind mice

Reply #506829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754