ICCrash
Years ago

NBL Restructure

Something I've been wondering about recently is how the NBL could restructure to get more out of the season, and increase the chances of growing. For this restructure, I've gone with 12 teams, because I believe this is needed for the sport to progress.

11 Rounds over 12 weeks, 44 games (4 games a week), 2 on a Tues-Thursday (either Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs) and 2 on a Friday-Sunday. Each double is played against the same team, so we see teams cut down on travel for away games (but increase accommodation costs). This means you travel to Perth ONCE, not twice in a season. You get a Home and an Away fixture against each opponent, you keep the players playing more games, increase the games of the season, while running a shorter season. I considered more games, but then it's not the same teams everyone plays the same number of times.

Stadiums need to be within a certain size range(3000-10000, unless team can show it can sell a minimum of 60% of games to 60% or more of larger capacity), have a certain level of Lighting and TV viewability, to make it easier to get a TV deal. Being able to offer a product that is TV ready, is on up to 6 times a week, and can go up against Channel 10's Big Bash Coverage would interest Nine and Seven.

Salary Cap stays at a Millon a season, with 2 imports. However, teams get one exempt player who is on the Emu's (U19 national side) to encourage playing youth.

Topic #36101 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

Any growth would be good. Adding FOUR teams of dubious viability "just because" is a recipe for disaster.

Teams can't play 4 games a week, especially with their limited rosters, nor would fans pay to go and see them. Nor is there a FTA market to televise 24 games a week.

There's no point setting a minimum stadium size unless the team can sell the seats. And WHY would you impose a maximum limit?

How do you determine who is an Emu? Must they play a game for Australia BEFORE they can be contracted? Or just make the squad? What happens if they are dropped?
Teams already play youngsters, they're called Development Players.

Reply #506930 | Report this post

ICCrash  
Years ago

Alrighty. I said 12 teams, because that's what I'd like to see them get to. This isn't a next year fix, this is a goal to potentially aim for. If 4 games is too many, but 1 is too few, how many do we go with? Part of the idea of looking for a higher share of FTA TV with more games means that we provide more content, and are more likely to get a decent deal.

Maximum limit is to prevent teams from going to arenas that cost too much, sit mainly empty and have no atmosphere. I've been to Tigers games, and I've been to Iowa games. Tigers games had good atmosphere, Iowa games are only good when it's a In Conference game, otherwise it's not very full and has no feel to the game. Feeling like you are part of something when you go to games is something I think is important, not being one of a bunch of people in an empty stadium with not spirit.

Reply #506934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you saying that a team would travel and play their opponent twice in the space of 3-4 days? Would fans want to see the same opponent so soon?

Reply #506962 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The MLB have series where teams will travel and play a number of games. I suspect with a large population, it would be rare for a fan to see all 5 games of the series. I would expect if there was an average of say 10,000 to a MLB game per series, then there would be 50,000 visitations, but maybe 25,000 fans?

A series style approach is not really in the Aussie sporting fan's culture, at this stage

Reply #506964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, you are correct. This also goes down to minor league teams, in locations the size of NBL markets. Often these are 3 straight games, which can pile up with rain delays.

Reply #506975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It could be done if one of the two games was played regionally, but I think that'd work against the big-stadium, big-market scheme.

Reply #506980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. There is already unfair advantage based on who you play within a few weeks and if you have injuries etc in that time frame effectively %*&^*&(

Reply #506998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 week season? Ummm no WTF seriously. The mind boggles. The season is too short if anything.

Reply #507101 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the NBL needs to grow, but it must be done carefully. With teams sometimes playing twice per round, there's no reason to insist on an even number of teams. Playing each team 4 times works nicely, but it's not a necessity.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that they are pushing ahead with a league owned team in Brisbane. Whilst I think that the return of the Bullets is fantastic, they must have a clear plan for it to stand on its own. (Which means either an owner with deep pockets or a VERY generous sponsor.)

Reply #507283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754