Keany
Years ago

NBL Rd12- Melbourne vs Perth

Wildcats up 35-33 at the half

Topic #36154 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

McRae injured early and yet to reappear.

Knight caused issues early but both teams have been playing solid defense for the most part, and neither team is executing their offense well or shooting well. Only way United seems to be able to score is through transition.

Every game is huge from this point onwards, it seems. It's cut through. United could use some more breathing space with the 36ers picking up their game and Sydney still not too far behind. Whereas Perth really needs a win to stay in touch with the top 2.

Reply #507778 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

throat*

Reply #507779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just waiting for the flopping comments...

Reply #507785 | Report this post

Sixers107  
Years ago

So redhage clearly doesn't get fouled, flops then gets a chance to make a 4 point play. Frustrating as.

Reply #507786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it any more frustrating than all the flopping United did today at both ends of the court?

Reply #507787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see that refs handing games to the Cats is no longer limited to just home games.

Reply #507788 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

This never would have happened to the Tigers D:

Reply #507789 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I was at the game,very entertaining and great atmosphere, I don't like bagging the refs because there's no game without them, but they where pretty ordinary both ways,should of got the ball to wortho for buzzer beat 2 years in a row, better team won on the day

Reply #507790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Floppage strikes again. What a joke that was.

Reply #507792 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh well.

Reply #507793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from the player involved, how is what Redhage did any different to McRae and Dennis driving in to the lane and flailing their arms up in the air when the ball was being knocked lose? They got rewarded for it - where is the outrage?

Reply #507796 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually I think the refereeing favoured United.

Perth almost threw the game away. Lucky for us Sixers fans they didn't

Reply #507797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny when the starting PF from the bottom team, who can only get off four shots in 33 minutes, tweets criticism about a player from another team for flopping.

Reply #507798 | Report this post

Vinny  
Years ago

What an ordinary game of ball. Skills from both teams terrible, umpiring terrible. I've seen more physical netball games

Reply #507801 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

What time did the game finish at?

Reply #507804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a flop all you faggots

Even Gaze said it was a foul

Reply #507805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minor brush of the arm --> player goes dramatically crashing to the floor in a heap = flop

Reply #507807 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

What was the crowd number today?

Reply #507809 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I enjoyed the game, for the most part very entertaining, as an impartial observer it was my first NBL game since the demise of the Dragons...

Some points I took from it, just my opinion, doesn't matter one hoot but I was there so here is what I noticed:

Lots of flopping, but also very physical too, very hard to officiate at times.

Second quarter was the low point for both teams as they struggled with zone defense and could make a shot for a period of time.

Kickert only hit his first 3 pointer in O/T, either great D from Perth or some other issue, but it didn't help the 'Ballers' as United call themselves.

The crowd was impressive, almost a full stadium, great atmosphere that would have been better without spending ridiculous cash on those annoying plastic clappers (they give me the clappers)...

Although he didn't score heaps, Damian Martin is a star in this league and unlike the United guards, he and Beal actually look to make their team mates better players, very unselfish (again unlike the Melb. guards).

Two words on Knight, the difference! He is not super athletic, untidy, rough as a sawn post, tough as a rock, reliable and a game winner, he was the difference.

Dennis is selfish and no where near as valuable to his team than he should be.

Patton is not utilised as he should be and he should be involved more by his team mates, this would open the game for everyone but they choose to ignore him and he should look to go to a better club I feel...

Great O/T game and a close result, both teams can play better but it appeared Melbourne tried to play Perth's game, unfortunately fell just short!

Reply #507810 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Crowd was apparently around 7k, certainly looked every bit of that.

Reply #507811 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

One of the worst games ive seen in a long time. It was a case of the worst team lost instead of the best team won. So many turnovers and unprofessional mistakes by the cats im still not sure how they won that game.

Reply #507812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#807, arm on arm contact while shooting = a foul. What's the problem? Don't you like that rule?

Reply #507813 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

On the flop call you guys are on about, the replay suggested the slightest of contact on the front of Redhage's arm was possible, but he collapsed like the was crushed by a jumbo jet landing on him, 100% a flop!

Reply #507814 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The defender never moved his arm forward to make side ways contact, he was in his cylinder the whole time.

Reply #507815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it was a flop. It was also a foul. It looked like the ref had a chat to him about it too. What the issue?

Reply #507817 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Minor brush of the arm whilst mid-air = loss of concentration and body control.

Maybe it was a flop given that Redhage does so at any given opportunity, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that play.

Reply #507819 | Report this post

Vinny  
Years ago

My two bobs on the Redhage flop. I play a lot of basketball and when you put up a 3 in a close game, all you focus on is watching the ball go into the hoop. When you get bumped, it's natural to fall over cause your not worried about your balance. I think Redhage would have continued playing regardless of whether the foul was called or not

Reply #507820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a worth fan, but the charge not called was rubbish along with the later charge, especially with the no call on Knight. But Melbourne getting some of the treatment other teams experience depending on the days pecking order on the refs lists....

Reply #507822 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, can we agree on this, Redhage keeping his feet or falling was 100 per cent the reason the ref would make that call?

He keeps his feet, there is no call, do we agree?

Reply #507823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6.5 at the game, not 7.

Reply #507824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not at all. I'd say the reason the call was made was because there was contact on the arm from the defender.

Reply #507825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Attendance was 6,754

Reply #507826 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Redhage was in the act of shooting and hit on the arm/hand. It was a foul, there's no disputing that.

It the referee made the call because he fell then that's over-anxious and/or poor refereeing, but they may have actually seen the contact and made the call because of that, in which case I'd disagree with you, Bear. Moot point, however, as neither of us know.

Reply #507827 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Really enjoyed todays game reminded me of the old days.Lots of passion!!! Refereeing was as it has been all year...confusing.Compare the start of last year to now.Some of the "screens" are a joke.

Reply #507828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there was no clear evidence that contact was made to his arm, was there?

Reply #507829 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hit on the arm or hand while taking a 3 = missed shot.

Ref blew whistle after the body hit the floor.

game video had the perfect angle on the gap between the players - frame by frame shows no contact even on the arm - ref called it from behind.

really really bad call.

Reply #507834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was bowled over you absolute morons

Reply #507835 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

If the refs were actually on top of it , 3 point counts, T for flopping, shots at the other end ( provided they had already given Perth a warning - if not - then a warning.

Reply #507836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying because the shot went in, it couldn't possibly have been a foul? Rightio then.

Reply #507837 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"He was bowled over you absolute morons"

sorry I' know I'm feeding the troll here - but check the video , reddy's feet actually land exactly where they took off from. BUT once he touches down he makes himself fall backwards by collapsing the legs and throwing his arms backwards and his upper body follows.

Its Gaze's old trick of - "kick out my legs to catch the defender" in reverse :-

Beautiful body coordination, Reddy just sells the dummy perfectly to all those feeble minded enough to be needing a pacifier, unfortunately that included one official.

Reply #507838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He still got hit on the arm. Its plain as day.

Reply #507840 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

So you're saying because the shot went in, it couldn't possibly have been a foul? Rightio then.

Hmm . I'm saying that the contact on the arm ( if any) was after the release of the ball. ( of course you already know that Contact on the hand is legal as the hand is part of the ball)

As you already know - For any non-T foul call the ref has to go through 3 stages of decisions

1) was there contact - IF no - forget it - IF yes then -
2) was that contact illegal - IF no - forget it - IF also yes then
3) did the defense gain an advantage - IF no - forget it -IF ALSO yes then

FOUL call -

Number 3 is the killer.

If the advantage was that the shot missed - then its a clear call.

if the contact is before release - then its caused the shot to miss - disadvantage offense.

If the contact is after the release, and

1) the shooter is prevented from following his shot for a rebound ( eg held by the body/arm or hit to the ground) - disadvantage offense - shooting foul if done before shooter hits the ground with at least 1 foot.

2) if the shooter was prevented from landing safely, OR his expected landing path was threatened - then its a foul for the shooter on the basis that the shooter has been disadvantaged

2) The shooter could see the contact coming and was intimidated and/or bowled over - disadvantage offense AND a possible unsportmanlike "T"

If the shot went in - then the question is where is the advantage ?

the answer is that the shooter hits the floor because of contact while in the air (no 2 above) - that's the disadvantage, but Redy hit the floor because he wanted to, not because of the contact ( if any) on the arm.

Its a simple process - but requires concentration - which is not easy at the end of a game and you have been working as hard as the players ( no subs for refs)

Reply #507841 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

edit:

3) The shooter could see the contact coming and was intimidated and/or bowled over - disadvantage offense AND a possible unsportmanlike "T"

Reply #507842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats absolute rubbish. If a shooter gets hit on the arm, illegally, a ref doesn't let it go if the shot goes in. Never. You're basically saying that all "and one" calls in history are incorrect.

Reply #507843 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Hmm . I'm saying that the contact on the arm ( if any) was after the release of the ball."

He's in his shooting motion until he returns to the ground. That was a very low-percentage play by Kickert.

Reply #507845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Very Old actually Boti?

Reply #507846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very old, you may wish to revisit your rule book and find where it says 'hand is part of the ball' think you will find that part isn't in the rule book anymore.

Reply #507848 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's good to hear people there enjoyed it given it was a big crowd, because on TV it came across as one of the lowest standard games I've watched in a while, saved by an entertaining finish.

Why is it many of the games with great finishes are average to watch early on?

Reply #507849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the game had moments, it didn't exactly flow, so it may not have been great TV viewing but it did have its moments and of course an overtime ending is always enjoyable.

The Redhage flop is one of a few, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, sorry calling it as it is.

Reply #507853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great performance by United without McRae who injured himself in the warm-up. And I disagree with the comment that Dennis is selfish - today he might have played a little different and looked to score himself more to cover for McRae.
Redhage deserves an Oscar - not just this game but every game he plays - instigates contact with players and then flails his arms around like he is being contacted - nice to see the umpires did not fall for that one with Barlow

Reply #507854 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

I was at today's game, my first in quite a while. The finish was exciting with a few clutch plays towards the end, but the game itself was pretty sloppy by both teams for the most part.

One thing that was noticeable, especially in Q3 and the start of Q4 (before things got interesting), was how stagnant Melbourne's offence could be at times. Sometimes no one was moving except for the man with the ball and an on ball screener - 3 other guys just standing still. And then jacking threes when it was pretty clear the only person who could nail them was Corletto.

Close game in the end though and a good crowd who could say they got a good day's entertainment out of it.

Reply #507856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over it, Redhage plays within the rules, scores and wins. Players on other teams are too dumb to do the same.

Reply #507861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If everyone played like Redhage, the flops would be called all the time, if you enjoy watching fouls called for 40mins you have fun with that.

Reply #507867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If flops were actually called properly, players would stop doing them.

Reply #507877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The flop rules are pretty simple. If a Perth player does it, it's the biggest travesty ever and a massive blight on the game, and we all look at ingenious ways of inserting the word "flop" in to the players names.

If anyone else does it....well that just doesn't happen so no one has thought that far ahead.

Reply #507878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was more disgusted with watching Redhage spit on the court. I would hope this is a one off thing but watching a player spit on the hard floor on national TV wasn't pleasing to the eye.

Reply #507879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spittage LOL

Reply #507883 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The flop rules are pretty simple. If a Perth player does it, it's the biggest travesty ever and a massive blight on the game, and we all look at ingenious ways of inserting the word "flop" in to the players names.

If anyone else does it....well that just doesn't happen so no one has thought that far ahead.

lol... I love how Perth fans are so sensitive about their own players but they're often the first ones to jump on other teams players for stuff... It's fine to be supportive and stick up for your own players, but this overwhelming sense of being hard done by and the victim of unfair criticism just because people are calling out one of your players for doing what he's been doing for years is just ridiculous... Redhage has gained this reputation for a reason, so when he does it to get his team an advantage, of COURSE other teams fans are going to jump on him...

That being said, I don't think he did anything that most outside shooters do regularly... Players like PC, Cornetto (mmm... Cornetto...), even Gibbo kick their feet out, over selling any contact on the shooter... it's been called like that for years and no-one should be surprised when a defending player takes a run at someone shooting from outside and makes even the slightest contact, that there's a foul called... When Beal got pinged for a flopping foul on a 3pt shot in the loss in Sydney, I had to triple take as that was really such an unconventional call...

All in all, I was more surprised (not really, as he's the new Melbourne Koala) that Wortho wasn't at least warned for one of his several flops in the game... Not to mention that over selling of Dennis'(?) elbow... No contact and then a second later throws his head back like he'd been slapped...

Reply #507885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your first paragraph completely missed the point there, wookie.

Reply #507887 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

Love the fact that we kicked your arses in the gf. Deal with it sixers

Reply #507888 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Just like you missed an e? Not really... Perth fans whinge and complain that they see some of their players getting called out on things they do, saying things like "well, it's only because it's a Wildcats player that people are making a big deal about it" like it's not like the player hasn't actually earned that reputation... You don't see people saying that Daniels or Jervis or even Damo (who really gets in there and tries to establish position and sometimes oversells things) are flopping every game, do you? No, it's the players that actually do it... The fact that there are Wildcats fans out there acting like they're being unjustly singled out is crap... The comment that I quoted was the perfect example of that...

Reply #507894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, that comment you quote was written to highlight that everyone thinks flopping is the biggest blight on the game etc when Perth do it but don't make mention of it when any other player from any other team (particularly their own) do it. So which is it? A massive blight on the game, or something that gets attention when Redhage does it?

Likewise with niggly play. If it's done by perth, it's dirty roughhouse tactics, should be stamped out blah blah but when Wortho does it, we've got fans lining up to fellate him for being a great Aussie bloke.

I know why Perth players have their reputation and that's fine, they deserve it. But if people are going to call out flopping for being an absolute travesty, do it across the board or not at all, otherwise it is singling one particular group out.

Reply #507896 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think flopping in basketball is a fairly ordinary way to play the game, just as bad as diving in soccer!

Reply #507897 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, I don't care who does it, call it as I see it regardless...

Reply #507898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't watch much NBL but had nothing else to do on Sunday so I watched this game. Now I know why I and soooooo many others don't watch it anymore.

Turnovers (so many!!!), missed shots, crappy decision making, compare that to college and NBA and why would you bother watching this stuff and wasting 2 hours of your life.

In the Gaze era the NBL was great basketball, the current standard is rubbish! Go back to a winter season so clubs can recruit genuine players during Euroleagues off season to lift the standard.

The only good thing about the game was that it was a close result.

Reply #507904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a defensive minded game anon^, even when Corlletto threatened to turn it on its head they shut him down and he never scored again. Sometimes you have to accept teams and coaches just want the W.

Reply #507906 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"In the Gaze era the NBL was great basketball, the current standard is rubbish!"
You should try going back and actually watching some of those games without the nostalgia filter, and watching more than one modern NBL game. Games now are miles ahead of games in the 90s.

Reply #507912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee - Wortho did receive a flopping warning

Reply #507916 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just nice to get away with the win, keeps the Cats in touch.

Reply #507918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long does the butthurt last Sixers fans?

Build a bridge.

Reply #507922 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@ Anon #507896 - you keep proving my point... When Madgen was "exaggerating the contact" last season, fans everywhere were jumping on his case, similar to when Cody did it... Madgen was targeted early this season as well and I'm fairly certain that we didn't escape that happening without some commentary... Of course you're going to see people commenting more on Redhage doing it, because he's one of the worst offenders and they're sick of him doing it... I personally think in the first half of the season he pulled his head in with the flopping tech foul introduction, but he's got his reputation, now he has to live with it, and so do Wildcats fans...

@ Anon #507916 - he did? Good, I must have missed that, thanks for correcting... I think he's been the worst offender this year that gets let off constantly, but maybe it's his incessant whinging at the refs after nearly every single play that is wearing me down...

Reply #507925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookieee, were Kings fans calling Madgen out for his flopping? You know, the same ones who are always vocal about Flopphage and snipers and all the rest...

Whether you're the worst offender, or do it once a season, if flopping is such a massive blight on the game then everyone should be called out for it every time it happens, but they're not. For instance, I don't imagine Oscar Forman tweeting about Demos every time he flops.

If your point of view is "I hate when Player X flops" then you're not really against flopping, you just dislike the player.

Reply #507928 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I have to admit, the way Redhage fell, it certainly looked like a flop (and I'm a die hard wildcats supporter). Having said that, I don't know what all the carrying on is about he didn't get any other benefit from selling the foul other than what he was deserving of anyway, and that was the contact on the hand resulting in a foul shot.

IMO the only reason this conversation has gone on for so long here was because Shawn Redhage did it and unfortunately with the reputation he has, everything he does gets scrutinised, analysed and discussed. So basically, yes he sold the foul very well (as do a majority of NBL players) and yes we are all still going on about it because it is Redhage.

Just in addition to the flopping calls, they need to start reporting suspect flops and going to video review either during the game( although this would slow down the game even more) or a post game review with fines/penalties being issued ( multiple offenders suspended).

Reply #507938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, for a flop that made no actual difference to a call or to the game it sure is getting a lot of scrutiny.
The foul call was for the hit on the arm.
The only difference that the flopping portion of the sequence made was to get Redhage a flopping warning from the ref.
Seems to me that everything happened exactly the way it should have from a reffing point of view. But because it was Redhage involved everyone loses the plot for some reason.
And-1 was clearly the correct call. Replay proves this.
Flop warning from the ref was fair enough too. The contact was exaggerated by Redhage.
So what is everyone's big problem?
And why are butthurt Kings fans so invested in this? Years of jealousy and bitterness are really starting to take their toll on them. It's not a good look.

Reply #507941 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kings fans are in no place to complaining about the wildcats flopping when they have Madgen lol

Reply #507942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the KIngs fans and others are sick and tired of hearing constantly, incessantly and forever how perth are so good at everything.

Reply #507944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically, Kings fans are complaining just because its Perth?

Reply #507945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kings fans put even half as much energy into supporting their own team as they put into hating Perth the league would be in a much better position.

Reply #507946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz, I think NBL attendances and recent history of NBL franchise folding etc backs up my point about the NBL standard being rubbish these days.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it i still love watching NBA, college and euroleague.

I would love to see Andrew Gaze, Mark Bradtke and Lanard Copeland at their best take on this league, the current NBL crew wouldn't be able to keep up, and I wasn't even a Tigers fan!

Reply #507954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL was in better shape back then because of the hype surrounding the "new" sport, and also the popularity of Michael Jordan. That does not mean the standard of play was better.

Reply #507959 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wookieee, were Kings fans calling Madgen out for his flopping? You know, the same ones who are always vocal about Flopphage and snipers and all the rest...

I made comments at the time that once he got pinged for a tech for it, that should have been it and that any further flops would come at the detriment to the team... Just like Redhage from the start of the season, he's since pulled his head in and I think has been called for warnings based on his (previously deserved) reputation...

Whether you're the worst offender, or do it once a season, if flopping is such a massive blight on the game then everyone should be called out for it every time it happens, but they're not. For instance, I don't imagine Oscar Forman tweeting about Demos every time he flops.

Are you meaning calling out publicly on it, or punished for it in-game? The consistency to which it is being called is really the huge problem here... We've all heard the guidelines from commentators recently about what Mal Cooper says should be the reasoning behind a warning/tech call for flopping, but the refs are unable to call it properly. We have players who are koalas in Worthington getting away with a lot more crap than Redhage pulls, and no calls, you have Madgen, I think a round or two ago, get pushed off by the offensive players, which in any other game would be called an offensive foul, get called as a tech (or just a warning?) against him... We had Beal called for flopping in the game in Sydney for pretty much exactly what Redhage did but who got rewarded for it? We've got legitimate defensive plays that don't get called offensive fouls because the defensive player doesn't "sell it" be it because they might be bigger than the other player or some other reason...

If your point of view is "I hate when Player X flops" then you're not really against flopping, you just dislike the player.

In the context of this thread, I don't have any opinion on the flopping other than the comment that I don't think Redhage flopped that hard to have warranted a tech or in any way that any other shooter doesn't try to milk the and-1. The majority of my comments have been regarding the Wildcats fans who act all hurt because their precious Wildcats player is being "unfairly criticised and persecuted".

As for "butthurt Kings fans" I think I'm the only Kings fan in here that has made any comments, amongst all the brave anons, but please feel free to highlight any others... as for being butthurt, any such accusation when that isn't the case, really just keeps fuelling my point that any time a non wildcats fan dares to criticise a Wildcats player, whether they're the worst offender the league has seen to do something in years or not, this crap comes out...

Reply #507972 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

koberulz, I think NBL attendances and recent history of NBL franchise folding etc backs up my point about the NBL standard being rubbish these days.

Popularity has nothing to do with quality.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it i still love watching NBA, college and euroleague.

Sure, but nostalgia is causing you to overrate the quality of the NBL in the 90s. Seriously, go watch some games (the Wildcats have a DVD set featuring all their championships, if you don't have any old tapes). They're nowhere near as good as they are now.

Reply #507976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously go watch the Perth wall back in the day and this bunch of Perth yanks look like passes compared to the Perth yanks back in the 90's. Hard defence and take no prisoners tough Mf's. Go in the key and look out. Let's not forget the doomsday double as well facing the then mighty a delayed. This current crop of teams is poor in so many regards to the great players, true stars then and teams back then.

Reply #508002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> Popularity has nothing to do with quality

Of course it does. More popular = more money = better players
If the A League was the world's most popular soccer league, you think it wouldn't have better players?

Reply #508017 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nobody disputes that the 90's were the glory days for the NBL, but does that mean the standard was any better?

Possibly because the NBL was still emerging, there was less tendency for Australian talent to fly the coup and play in various leagues around the world. In those days IIRC the goals was simply a US college scholarship followed hopefully by an NBA draft, although most simply returned home.

I feel that the rosters were more stable, imports came and stayed, became naturalised, and played out their careers here. As a Fan I liked that, but I don't know that it meant a higher standard.

Reply #508018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The good teams of the 90s would easily account for today's teams IMO. That is especially damning when you consider that there are only 8 teams now so you'd think the talent would be more concentrated. But no, the talent is just dispersed overseas rather than around the NBL

Reply #508020 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That might be the key factor, now days many more hoopsters with talent in Europe and the NBA than in the 90's!

Different time, just different...

Reply #508025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez. Crawford, Gaze, Fisher, Heal, Bradtke, DTrain, Cal, Grace, Rillie, and so many other names would crush this current crop on NBL 'stars'

Reply #508042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti mentions the Redhage four point play in his latest blog, and includes a tweet from an unnamed Perth fan as a way of apparently showing that Perth fans are delusional. Apart from that Perth fan being correct, Boti never even had the decency or testicular fortitude to reposed to the tweet and/or discuss the point that was being made. That's a complete bitch move.

Maybe he already knew that his interpretation of the Redhage play was a) incorrect and b) hysterical and completely biased.

Reply #508150 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Crawford, Gaze, Fisher, Heal, Bradtke, DTrain, Cal, Grace, Rillie

Vs

McRae, Childress, CJ, Ibekwe, Ennis, Clarke, Knight, Motum, Mills, Abercrombie, Penney

Are you so sure who would crush who. Also nice how you picked the eyes out of quite a few seasons in your comparison so I took the same liberty.

Reply #508163 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What exactly is the big concern over "flopping"?
Is it just that it makes the game look bad?

Surely if the ref thinks that the contact was insignificant, and the effect was exaggerated by "flopping" then he just doesn't call the foul?
The flopping player is then disadvantaged because he's laying on the floor.

If the Ref CAN'T see that it was exaggerated, then how is he going to call a flop.

When I was a KID playing (a long time ago) we were taught that in a defensive scenario to "set" our feet, and if knocked off balance by the offensive player, to fall onto our bums rather than move our feet. Would that now be considered "flopping"?

Reply #508165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take your common sense somewhere else, Dazz. It has no place here.

Reply #508177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754