Isaac
Years ago

Celtics to trade Jeff Green to Grizzlies

In the bigger trade, meanwhile, sources say that the Celtics and Grizzlies, in a deal first reported by ESPN.com, are in the process of finalizing a swap that will send Green to Memphis in exchange for Tayshaun Prince's $7.7 million expiring contract and another future first-round pick.

It is possible, sources say, that Boston and Memphis will recruit a third team to join the final trade construction, but one source told ESPN.com that the trade will "most likely" happen with or without a third team.
Green is averaging 17.1 PPG. Seems like a decent player to give up for so little, though Green is likely to opt out of his contract in July.

Grizzlies were also keen on Luol Deng, but Miami didn't seem ready to part with him.

Topic #36222 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Is it time for the league to step in and do more to prevent the blatant off-loading of quality players for tanking purposes?

Reply #509091 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

i thought he's a good fit for the celtics. an energy player

Reply #509092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not so much tanking, as much as he's able to opt out in July, so the Celtics had to unload him and get a draft pick for him, vs losing him for nothing

Reply #509094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Though if they lack quality players, they might struggle to attract a free agent. Leaves only the draft and role playing FAs?

Reply #509097 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, I think Ainge's original plan was to try and attract a FA to join Rondo. Hence the run at Kevin Love in the off-season. Once Cleveland got the #1 pick and LeBron came home, that plan was dead in the water though.

I think once Love fell through, Ainge decided that he wouldn't be able to build a contender around Rondo while he is at his peak.

So now he's switched to building through the draft and acquiring assets and will probably try to trade for a star, rather than sign one as a free agent.

I'm sad to see Rondo and Green go, but sentiment aside, I think Ainge has made the right decision for the team. Now if only Brad Stevens would do a better job of tanking to get a shot at Okafor...

Reply #509105 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No one is gonna want to play the Grizzlies in the playoffs. This team is legit. That SF spot was their weakness but not any more. Green should thrive there

Reply #509127 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I honestly thought that at the start of the season, this starting 5 plus Olynk, Turner, Thornton, Smart and Zeller would have been a competitive squad and could have finished 5-8 in the conference??

RONDO
BRADLEY
GREEN
BASS
SULLINGER

Resultswise there have been a lot of 10 and under losses and a few OT ones as well.

Reply #509132 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

This tanking business has to stop, there's been all sorts of solutions put out there for how but for there to be 4-5 teams each year that aren't doing whatever they can to win is disappointing. I reckon every team should get a chance to win the number one pick, even the team that wins the championship should have a small chance.

Reply #509133 | Report this post

Tornad  
Years ago

Looks like Memphis are trying to buy a championship

Reply #509138 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Explain how Memphis are buying the championship...

Reply #509194 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Memphis are apparently buying the championship because trading for players, especially making a lot of trades in a short period of time or trading for a player mid-season, is cheating and trying to buy a championship. There is only one moral and acceptable way to build a team and that is through the draft. Anything else is cheating.

This is all according to some dimwit on these boards posting in the Mozgov trade discussion.

Reply #509203 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, I hate it when teams "buy" championships, and I bet the Memphis fans are hating it atm too.

/sarcasm off

Reply #509205 | Report this post

bender  
Years ago

The league is all about imitation. Showtime offence, bad boys defense, big threes. Now everyone wants the Oklahoma blueprint by being really bad and get 2 superstars amidst other lottery picks. As soon as Durant leaves and creates doubt the teams will get on the next bandwagon.

Reply #509237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Final trade:

The Boston Celtics, Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans Pelicans have agreed on a three-team, five-player trade that sends Jeff Green to the Grizzlies, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The trade will send the Grizzlies' Tayshaun Prince, New Orleans' Austin Rivers and a future Memphis first-round pick to the Celtics, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Memphis will send forward Quincy Pondexter and a 2015 second-round pick to the Pelicans and the Pelicans will move guard Russ Smith to the Grizzlies, sources said. The Grizzlies held Prince and Pondexter out of Sunday's game against the Phoenix Suns.

Reply #509285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bender, you make no sense at all

Reply #509714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754