Annon
Years ago

Sixers V Perth - The difference

Lets look at what is it that is making the difference now..

I'll start..

Jamar is now often protect going to the rim flanked by the likes of Peach and Motum creating space and protection. With this he also has the option to dish and he is and it's working.
Motum is settling in and in form again
Peach has notched up some game time after suffering his chronic issues and seeing no court time in the off season and Boomer Peach is back. Say no more.
Crawford starting to hit the shots and know the team
The no of rotations and overeactive changes from Joey has settled.. Not so frantic and more measured now.
Actually having less on the bench to chose from is working for them in the above comment so less changes for the sake of change and chance for players to settle in.
Joey has worked out his combos now for each scenario. Actually predictable and that's a good thing, like the doctors action plan in the event of... Joey has a treatment plan too.
Jamar is getting some help on the defensive end and less exposed shutting down the oppositions plan to exploit his size.
Teys hit the shots again giving him more confidence with his non stat collecting hustle, positioning and defence !!!
No 1 - They are in a different mindset and self belief is now embedded in the team. Effort is embedded. Could not find much to make comment on last night which has not been the case all season. Thanks to some help outside the team for that. What ever you did. It's working.. Joeys networking is paying off..

Topic #36264 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe missing Knight had a little bit to do with it?

Reply #510046 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Self belief and motivation.

Reply #510049 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Understanding of each other as a team, particularly at the defensive end. You could see them starting to click on the doomsday weekend even though they lost both.

Anthony Petrie went into a bit of detail about the bad run and the turnaround a couple of weeks ago in this article:

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/16e6j3paue91214jttvys14blp

Reply #510051 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, that should read Sunshine Swing, not doomsday.

Reply #510052 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No Matty was the difference. We needed a big presence in the middle. Mouth is good but not good enough that he should be allowed 31 points.

Reply #510055 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Crawford is not hitting his shots, he's missing wide open 3s and shot 2/9 FG last night.

I liked 'Ice' Teys nailing both free throws at the end. (admittedly not as good as 'Jamarvelous' but thought I put it out there)

Motum was outstanding, he was pretty much unstoppable offensively but what I liked most was that he grabbed 13 boards.

Creek makes a lot of poor decisions (I'm sure he had more than 2 TO and his defence was non-existent), I'm not sure he's a great fit for your team as a starter, you need to accept that he's a bench player.

Jamar's finishing was outstanding, I know his FG% was low, but he made the buckets that really counted, plus nailed 8/8 FTs.

All in all, this is the most interest I've had in an ADL or PER game so credit to both teams for putting on a great show. People want entertainment, and the lack of D last night gave the fans what they wanted.

Reply #510061 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

You are right Anon, a guy that signed an NBA contract shouldn't be scoring 31 in the NBL.

Reply #510065 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Motum fits so well with Adelaide because he's excellent at feeding off other players and getting scores without having plays run for him. James Ennis was very good at that too.

Now that Motum has got his effort levels up he is such a tough guard, and the Petrie-Motum combo really is trademark Joey Wright and fits his style perfectly.

Another big thing for the 36ers is Motum and Wilson are really buying in defensively, and with how hot those two are offensively it makes for a very dangerous team with some very disciplined players around them.

Reply #510066 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just my opinion, but BOTH teams should be extremely worried at letting such "average" offence score 100+ points.

As for "the difference" last night, well it was close, but in the run home I think it was the lack of depth on the Perth Bench. Jervis is more than capable of filling the starting Centre role, but Wagstaff was the only real contributor from the bench.
As a 6th man, he's exceptional (he can just as easily start) but whilst U'U and Hire saw some good minutes their overall contribution didn't match the Sixers.

Reply #510094 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

At no point would I say Knight missing had anything to do with the Adelaide win. Fact is 36ers have clicked they're confident and have a nothing to lose mentality. Perth are good aswell this season, but they aren't great.

Reply #510116 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

The difference I think has to be mainly attributed to Joey Wright. He has been working really hard to bring Wilson into being a more cohesive team player and the process has been visible over a period of a couple of months.
I didnt think he would succeed and kudos to him if Wilson keeps this up. Wilson never lacked talent but I would have been happy to see him gone mid season. Joey has done good here. He has obviously worked hard finding the best from Motum as well and now that he has gelled the cohesion in this team seems outstanding. I am really rapt to be able to say this because I have been pretty critical before.

The overall effort from everyone last night was fantastic and it was by far the best game I have seen in years. Watching at home I was exhausted at the end from the tension, excitement and emotion and all I could think was WOW!

Thank you Sixers! Cant wait for tomorrow, hope there's some petrol left in the tank after that massive game.

Reply #510123 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

Kobe24, who knows if the result would have been different if Knight had played, but he has been by far Perth's best player over the past month and would have made things more difficult for Motum....and Perth fans are accused or arrogance!

Reply #510124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At no point would I say Knight missing had anything to do with the Adelaide win. Fact is 36ers have clicked they're confident and have a nothing to lose mentality. Perth are good aswell this season, but they aren't great."

Wow! Deluded!

Reply #510127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suppose if Knight played it wouldn't have made much difference, and if Wilson hadn't played the 36ers would have won by 20?

Knight is the Wildcats' rock at both ends of the floor, I doubt they would have got into such a run and gun contest had he been playing.

Reply #510128 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

The real difference: the last 200 seconds of the game.

Wildcats were up by 5 points.

And then:

field shots: Cats 1 from 6, Sixers 3 from 4
free throws: Cats 1 from 2, Sixers 5 from 6
rebounds: Cats 1, Sixers 3,
fouls: Cats 3, Sixers 2 (1 offensive),
turnovers: Cats 2, Sixers 1.

Reply #510130 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hey just my opinion, no big deal.

Reply #510133 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

You can only beat the team that takes the court.

One factor in the 36ers win was Gleeson's match ups ...

Martin on Gibson when we couldn't contain Wilson's penetration,
Subbing in Redhage when he had really been poor offensively when we needed scores and that final play was poor.

I thought the inability early to pick up Creek was ridiculous ....this I pin on the Cats players, once they got on it, he was contained.

Brock is also a fool for that last minute push, nothing in it but really - you're an International player and you risk a tech? Needs to be better than that.

Better team won....well done 6ers.

Reply #510134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy with your wording there. That last minute play was foolish, but the 31 and 13 and emotion that came without was created by no fool.

Reply #510135 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Didn't call him a fool, called the act foolish.

Reply #510145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock came of age last night. Great combination of dominance, passion and shit-stirring :D

Reply #510149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock is also a fool for that last push.....

Nit pickers on a forum, to be expected I guess. Atleast you could stand by your own words. He has been crappy in some games, out of sorts etc but lately killing it. When was the last time a 36er had 31 and 13 in Perth.

Reply #510150 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Actually - I did call him a fool!

Sorry, yes it was a foolish act ....Brock was very good last night.

Reply #510151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha all good, didn't think you could actually mean he was a fool overall. Yeah risky play at the end, especially in Perth... BUT with some guys you have to take the good with the bad a bit i guess. He is much more engaged on the stat sheet and emotionally lately so whatever works for him.

Reply #510159 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It was beyond foolish really.
Your team is up by 2 points, with possession and 3 seconds left...
And you commit what could easily have been called a Tech. Cats make 2 frees and at the least you're into extra time, or worse Cats score again in the 3 seconds and you've lost.
Refs were probably right not making a call when the game was effectively over, but at any other time that could easily have been a tech.

Reply #510162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please, that was nothing

Reply #510163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of Redhage doing the exact same thing from Perth fans ?
Just as well eye patches are available in wildcat colours

Reply #510166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was nothing, redhage started it as thenrrf stated to some players after the game. Let it go

Reply #510175 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Was definitely a silly act, gave the refs the chance to call something, thankfully they handled the situation well.

Reply #510182 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not the same thing at all. Redhage was TRYING to foul (not my favourite tactic but every team does it),
the game was lost and so I suppose its worth the gamble.
Motum then picked up the ball and shoved it at Redhage.
Personally, whilst we could have done with the win, I'm glad the refs didn't call anything so late in the game, but you can't deny it was a foolish act. It COULD easily have cost them the game.
Even if Perth had missed the free-throw they would then get possession with with 3 seconds to play.

As for "it was nothing," have a look at the Tech called on Davidson today. Shensy elbowed him in the face, Davidson got called for the foul, objected and was teched.
Point is that players need to keep their heads. How many times have we seen the player REACTING to provocation get called for the foul?

Reply #510225 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754