Anonymous
Years ago

Where to for Hawks?

With the Hawks season well and truely cooked, who does Geordie keep next year?

Contracted for next season

Forman - Still a knock down shooter.

Hill - Stepped up in the last 2 games, that type of form across a season would be a huge boost of the bench.

Coenraad - Hawks standout player this year.

The rest

Davidson - Keep for the right price. Still anchors the defence and is a smart offensive player and great passer for a big man.

Martin - Really needs a scoring guard with range like Rot Clarke last season to partner him in the backcourt.

Ervin - Had some really big games but also had some stinkers early in the season. Was playing through injury? I seem to remember him missing some games?

Carson - For all the hype he and Hawks provided over his signing, this really backfired.

Nevill - Hasn't stuck with any NBL team more than one season. Hasn't really done enough with Hawks either.

Ballinger - Might be time to pull the curtain on a great NBL career.

Demos - Found it hard for minutes behind the 2 imports and Martin.

Topic #36376 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Forman is contracted. I think Hill signed for two years as well. Not sure about Coenraad, but he's worth keeping.

I would be securing Davidson and Martin too.

Ballinger started well but hasn't gone on with it, so maybe he retires.

I feel for Demos because his confidence has been destroyed and his shot along with it. See what he wants to do - still value in a hassling defensive guard.

I would've cut Carson during the season and I think Nevill was a mistake, so I'd leave them out.

Watched one game in Perth where Ervin looked done and dusted. Felt sorry for him even. But he's had some great games since and has easily looked the more competent and measured of their imports. But if Clarke is available, then you have to take him.

Could they try to pinch Patton from Melbourne?

Reply #512939 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Start by not signing to imports under 6'!!!!!

They seem to keep getting exciting imports that make each other redundant.

Reply #512941 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Missed a w :)
Two imports

Reply #512942 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nevill is great back-up centre, or maybe just playing a role off the bench similar to Schenscher. He's not up to playing a starting-5 role.
This off the bench role seems to be how they have been using him lately. Will be interesting to see what his points are, as he may get picked up (or retained) for such a back-up role. (Not sure they want both him AND Davidson.)

Ervin has had some good games, but yes I think they'd be better off going for a bigger, dedicated SG.

Carson? Can't figure out WHY they thought using an import slot on yet another diminutive PG was a good idea.

So yeah, I think getting their imports sorted will be a major step in the right direction.

Reply #512958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isn't anyone talking about Gordie's coaching job on the line?

Reply #512971 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Probably because he's been arguably the best coach in the league for the past several years.

Reply #512977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because two of the biggest issues this season have been Carson and Nevill and all information seems to point to it being the owner who hired them, not Gordie.

Reply #512978 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Gordie and have loads of respect for him, but if he's that stuck in his ways and unable to work with a big guy to get him his shots, how good can he really be in the end? Unless he's just stubbornly sticking to his game plan which doesn't cater to having a 7' big guy?

Reply #512983 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What makes you think that was the case?

Reply #512984 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Hawks are far from a basket case.

Balls needs to call it. If the NBL had a "scream team", he would be in it. Great career, but needs to go out on a high.

Reply #512987 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Neville is a dud...Ervin needs to shut the fuck up and just play...Davidson at centre is only just adequate & of course Hill is going to come good when it 'doesn't matter'.....Gordie is a great coach but somehow needs to get these guys to consistently respond...

Reply #512994 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

Neville is signed for next year - he's on a two year deal, big $$$'s to boot. The Hawks can't cut Carson - he has a no cut clause in his contract. Ridiculous for a guy straight out of college regardless of the tickets people had on him. Will be interesting to see what the new owner does about Gordie....

Reply #513000 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Some of the comments that come out on this forum...
"Nevill's a Dud"?
From 17 minutes he averages 7.3 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 0.83 blocks. In a team that usually loses, and which doesn't play a "tall" game.

Schenscher from 17.8 minutes averages 7.3, 5.6, and 0.88, in a team that usually wins.

Jervis has averaged 18.7 minutes with Knight out, and still only 8, 5.8, and 0.96.

Like I said, if you're looking for a starting centre, no, but as a role player off the bench he's good value. Especially considering his points will be low and he probably plays for peanuts.

In the NBL, where centres like Knight are common, Big awkward birds like Nevill are somewhat superfluous, however they are handy role players that can prevent opposition teams exploiting your lack of size.

In the Hawks case, I think having both Davidson and Nevill is a bit redundant, because (despite a size difference) they play a similar (limited) role.
Personally, I would keep Nevill on the bench, and look for a smaller but more athletic import to fill the starting role, but that's just my opinion.

Reply #513001 | Report this post

bender  
Years ago

Keep Ervin, just realize he's not a Mvp caliber player anymore. Just make sure he's healthy and on a reasonable contract. Keeping Balls would be good in terms of locker room presence and mentoring young guys. Neville isn't a big minutes guy but very handy in certain matchups and disrupting offence in a zone. I think they really need a veteran swing man import that can matchup in various scenarios. Gordie seems to coach his players to his system and needs versatile players. Having 2 small import guards that were duplicitous looked like his hands were tied. Give him carte blanche on picking his players and he'll give results like in the past. Interfere again and he'll probably walk.

Reply #513007 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Especially considering his points will be low and he probably plays for peanuts."

No half decent big guy plays for peanuts.

Reply #513011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Forman, Nevill as a back up, Coenraad, and start a fresh, clear the locker room. Carson and Ervin move on, Ballinger retires and Brad Hill breaks his face while Larry Davidson reunites with his long lost brother Altiyan Child's. Give Martin and Demos more minutes, sign a 2-3 and Center imports.

P.G Martin, U'U?????
S.G Import, Demos
S.F Coenraad, DP
P.F Forman, BJ ANTHONY type
C. Import, Nevill

Reply #513018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Will be interesting to see what the new owner does about Gordie....'

Cal Bruton?

Reply #513024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, I think you're overestimating Nevill's court smarts, and that's crucial for a team that relies on very structured play.

If he's contracted, I'd give him 10 minutes off the bench or allow him to take up another gig if he wanted more.

Reply #513025 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Mcleod has done so much with so little, one crap year with a budget team and players perhaps selected by the owner it can be said there's no way pressure would be justified on Gordie, well beyond the norm. He's fine, he's one of the top coaches, definitely not worth the sack.

Reply #513028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie is MR. Wollongong.

Hawks could win 0 games and his seat would not be hot, or even warm.

The club is too scared to make a move because of the reaction it will cause in the community. Full stop. He is a local legend. Hence why he is still there.

Any other coach would have been long gone already. And this is not a knock on Gordie, more so the people who are scared to make tough decisions.

Reply #513037 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How many examples are there where the reigning coach of the year was sacked during the next season?

Reply #513058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Brown was sacked by the Cavs at the end of the season after winning COTY the previous season.

Regardless there was some talk a couple of weeks ago of Gordie 'resigning' and Cal Bruton taking over for the rest of the season.

Reply #513059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So none you can think of during the season?

Reply #513061 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

You would defintely hire Cal if you wanted the Hawks to be extinct within the next two years. What's better than running two clubs into the ground? Three of course!

Reply #513065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks would be taking a silly risk if they dropped or frustrated Gordie. If the owner is thinking that, he's insane. If you want to spend more, great - provide the budget. But don't meddle.

Hawks were a lot better than their record suggests, and they would've been better again if the right players were picked from the start.

Reply #513067 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gordie is a local hero. There is no chance in hell they would let him go. He would have to leave on his own accord.

I thought I saw that Nevill signed a 2 year deal, however I could be wrong. If he signed a 1 year deal, I wouldn't re-sign him.

Carson won't be back.

I'd like to see what happens with Ervin. He was talking about naturalising a few months ago. If he did, he could play in the NBL until he retires from basketball. If he doesn't, He may have another year at a import level and play in the NBL.

Reply #513068 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think it would be a big issue if Nevill's on a two-year deal, he has slowly found his place in the team, and Gordie has slowly figured out to use him better. With a full pre-season I think he and Davidson could be a very effective centre combo, with the chance of playing some minutes together.

I'd also go for a 2/3 import, whether that be a starter or back-up. Why not go back to having Kevin Tiggs off the bench? Then they'd just need a half-decent local guard to play the 10-15 backcourt minutes Ervin, Martin and Tiggs don't.

Davidson/Nevill
Forman/Hill (3/4)
Coenraad/Tiggs (2/3)
Ervin/Demos
Martin/??

Reply #513080 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, I looked at my signing tracker at "the other place" and I couldn't see anything in the article about his signing that said it was two years, but they often skip over the details... I'm sure they would have talked him up signing for multiple seasons if that was the case though...

I'd like to see GE naturalise and would be ok with him signing with the Kings (now that he's shown his good taste showing me some photography/player card love :) ) as if his penchant for black holeness and knowing that other players can make the big shots and actually get the right person the ball, his value on court really grows... When the clock is under 10secs and you just know he's not giving it up andhe goes 1 on 4, then I'd take a pass... There's been more moments this season where his unselfishness has been an asset and his flashes of brilliance have shone through, which has been great to watch, even as a Kings fan...

His shelf life as an import is very short though, I'm not sure who would take a risk on him to take up one of their two spots...

Hawks would be taking a silly risk if they dropped or frustrated Gordie. If the owner is thinking that, he's insane. If you want to spend more, great - provide the budget. But don't meddle.

He already has though, hasn't he? Both Nevill and Carson were his selections and he couldn't have been happier on the twitter, yes? It was really like he was playing a virtual sports game for real...

So that leads to the questions of whether Gordie has had enough and will walk, if the owner wanted that in the first place or realises that if he DOES, they'll be lucky to draw a few hundred to a game, considering the uproar when Gruber was dumped, or whether the owner is actually stupid enough to replace Gordie outright.

Best course of action, is to just give him the money to build the team the way he wants, getting the players he knows he can get the most out of, and hence have the best chance of winning games.

He should have known that before he bought the team...

Reply #513082 | Report this post

Onlooker  
Years ago

May i be a little blunt for a minute:

Outside of Forman, Coenraad. These guys can't shoot to save themselves.

3pt %:
Martin: 32
Ervin: 32
Hill: 27
Carson: 26
Davidson: 24
Ballinger: 22
Demos: 12.5

For a professional basketball team, even in a league that doesn't shoot the 3 ball well this is well below par.

Reply #513087 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

United are looking for a new head coach.

Reply #513089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie maybe a great coach but he is both stubborn and a bad communicator, that to me makes him not one of the great coaches.

That also caused him to mess up the signing of Rhys during the pre-season because rumour has it he had a falling out with him over the europe desire. That left the hawks in a hole as Gordie's system is so complicated that new people can't learn it during the preseason and are still struggling at the start of the season.

If you look at the timing, Nevill was signed after the hawks lost every pre-season quarter and every game by 20-30 points. They were terrible on rebounds and davidson had an injury that could have seen him miss the first game or the rest of the season. if that was the owners decision or gordie's or both, it seems quite smart and good insurance. If a coach can't alter his system to make use of a +7' guy then he is a one trick pony who can't be called a great coach.

given gordie's system is so complex and players can't pick it up easily then the best thing is they go for consistency of players, that way they can start the season well rather than badly.

Given all that, you need players to fit in with gordie and not the other way around (which would be better). So I'd get back Rotnei, Martin, Ervin and of course the signed players of Nevill, Hill, Coenraad and Foreman. Then fit what is available around those. I don't think Davidson really impressed this season, if he was cheap go for it, if not I'd upgrade.

Carson was built up but isn't that what clubs are supposed to do ... marketing ? He didn't work, that happens with imports. If you don't want to risk those mistakes then see above and hire the guys that have worked for you and keep the current ones, so you might not get the next big thing but you'll get something known and that will fit in with gordie's system.

NB: Ervin and Hill have impressed in the later half of the season

Reply #513090 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Personally I would have thought that if new people cant learn the rotations in the pre season and then onwards, they are basketball dummies.
Hell even Graham Dann could understand plays.

Reply #513111 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Dazz, I think you're overestimating Nevill's court smarts, and that's crucial for a team that relies on very structured play.

If he's contracted, I'd give him 10 minutes off the bench or allow him to take up another gig if he wanted more."

I agree, although maybe a little more than 10 minutes. He makes a good role player coming off the bench.
For mine, in the absence of a genuinely GOOD 7ft centre (hard to come by in Aus) players like Nevill are like a Nuclear Deterrent. Nobody wants to use them, nobody wants to see them, but if the other team has a 7ft+ player, then you need one too.

Obviously in a "perfect" world you'd have 7~8 "All-Star" players covering the full range, but the salary cap, points cap, budget constrictions, and import restrictions, severely limit what a team like the Hawks can do. ASSUMING Nevill is CHEAP, and his points are low enough, then he's a good bench option for them.

Personally, of their current line-up, I would keep Martin at point, Forman and Coenraad in the starting five, Nevill and probably one of Ballinger OR Hill on the bench. I'd be looking to imports for a good SG (ala Beal or Macrae) and a big athletic guy to be their starting "centre" (maybe someone like a Gladness or Ibekwe?)
Then look to bolster their bench (which may in reality mean keeping both Ballinger AND Hill.)
Not sure if they should just keep developing Adnam as a backup PG, or bring in someone like Luke Martin for a season or two?
Not really sure what Demos brings to the equation?

Reply #513113 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Of the Hawks who (might be) free agents after this season, the first one I think they should try to keep is Davidson. IMO he's a PF who generally plays out of position (centre), but when he's on the court he doesn't let them down. A definite keeper.

Balls I think is in his last season as a player. Started the year ok and has faded since. Hasn't really been the same since his 2011 ankle injury. Only averaging 4.4 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.4 blocks in 13.8 minutes per game this year, well down on his 15.4 points and 6.3 rebounds NBL career averages.

Ervin I would also try to keep because I don't think he's a spent force. Maybe not the level of his MVP year or last season with Adelaide, but he's still one of the better PG's in the NBL.

Nevill will be lucky to stay in Wollongong, let alone the NBL. Had the potential to be a dominant big man in this league but has never really shown it, even in Perth and when he got a go with the Boomers, and got an NBA try-out. And that's a shame because he could have been the Hawks starting centre and allowed Davidson to play the 4 spot. Hasn't happened though.

Oscar, Brad Hill and Tim Coenraad are definite keepers.

Reply #513118 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Nevill is a great option as a backup centre. Unfortunately for him he doesn't get any calls though - he gets hacked most of the time he puts up a shot when he's down low. I'm not making excuses for him but if those calls were made regularly he might get an extra 4-6 points a game on free throws which no-one would have a problem with.

I think Demos had progressed slowly but surely through his NBL career and also offers a solid backup role, but his confidence is shot this season no doubt because they went with the 2 import guard option. I think he would thrive again without one or both of the current imports gone.

Reply #513119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Nobody "I would have thought that if new people cant learn the rotations in the pre season and then onwards, they are basketball dummies."

Foreman said at a hawks post game fan zone interview "Gordie's system is so complex, it took me 5 season to be able to get completely comfortable so that I could help the new players learn it"

I don't think the issue is the players are dummies more that Gordie's system is one dimensional and too complicated .. if he gets the right players and stability it works ... if he doesn't then it goes to hell pretty fast. How he is quoted as being the best in the nbl is unknown to me.

Reply #513124 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Ervin I would also try to keep because I don't think he's a spent force. Maybe not the level of his MVP year or last season with Adelaide, but he's still one of the better PG's in the NBL"

No, this is their whole problem. As imports they have Ervin and Carson, so with Martin they are trying to cram THREE Starting PG's into the team.

"the first one I think they should try to keep is Davidson. IMO he's a PF who generally plays out of position (centre), but when he's on the court he doesn't let them down. A definite keeper."
"Oscar, Brad Hill and Tim Coenraad are definite keepers."
No, they have tried a front court of Forman/ Coenraad/ Davidson, it doesn't work.
Playing a PF at Centre is not uncommon in the NBL, I just don't think Davidson is that good.
Sure, as always, if he's prepared to play off the bench, as the 7th or 8th guy, then keep him, but they really need to get an import into that starting front court.

Reply #513125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"How he is quoted as being the best in the nbl is unknown to me."

Probably from making the playoffs three out of five years with the smallest budget in the league, or something silly like that.

Reply #513139 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz,

No, they have tried a front court of Forman/ Coenraad/ Davidson, it doesn't work.
They went to the semi-finals last season with those three as their starting SF-C and almost pinched game one from the eventual champions. They had Gruber, plus Tiggs as a bench spark.

There aren't exactly easy upgrades for Davidson out there, plus I think you're underestimating what that sort of player brings to a team. Nevill isn't close to an upgrade.

I don't think two imports in cocky, distributing roles works. I suspect they compete over being the import running the team.

If they have Martin and an import like Clarke or Ervin, they still need a Rhys Carter-type back-up. Markovic is battling something off-court, but someone like him.

Coenraad can play some PF when not at SF. Other import could be Tiggs or Ibekwe types that aren't starting powerhouses, but make an impact off the bench. Davidson is still a good backbone/glue guy.

Reply #513222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lose Carson, re-sign Rotnei Clarke for whatever the hell he wants.

Problem solved.

Reply #513256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Carson is correct in thinking he's going to the NBA, Rotnei should be an NBA All Star.

Reply #513502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754