ruzz
Years ago

Can NZ win U/18 Nationals?

Is it true that NZ can't win the Australian U/18 Nationals?

If true, how does that work in practical terms? Can they play/win in the GF and then the final rankings of all the other teams willl get shuffled up by one position?

Or are they not eligible to play in the semi-finals?

Just curious given that they seem to be highly regarded this year...

Topic #36412 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they win it, who says they are not allowed?

Reply #513532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can win but they just don't get a medal. Who cares if they win they know they win.

Reply #513535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's ridiculous, they get a medal if they win any other Australian National competition.

Reply #513536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Not deep enough.

Reply #513537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the team list?

Reply #513538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do NZ compete in australian nats... This is coming from a kiwi

Reply #513552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they have a chance this year.... There beached az.

Nsw more than likely.

Reply #513553 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

What's ridiculous is letting them play right through the tournament but not letting them claim a medal. Last year at 16s they finished 3rd, but the Bronze medals went to NSWM, I believe. What's worse? A team from another country winning a medal at our nationals, or a team claiming 3rd place when they were soundly beaten. BA need to decide whether they are in or they're out.

Reply #513561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me allowing NZ to participate in our Nationals does nothing for the standard of Basketball in Australia.

The flip side is it is hugely beneficial to NZ to be allowed to play in our Nationals. NZ get to see where they are at and what level they need to play to beat us in FIBA Oceania qualifiers.

NZ also get to play/train as a team, whereas our national team's players come from all over Australia.

At the pointy end you can't discount team chemistry and the intimate knowledge of having played a few seasons with the same kids. They get to know each others games, etc.

There is no benefit to Australian Basketball in allowing NZ to compete in our Nationals.

This could seriously backfire later this year when the FIBA Oceania U17 tournament is played. This is the qualifier for the FIBA U17 world's in 2016.

I seriously think NZ could beat Australia. NZ nearly beat Australia in the U19 FIBA Oceania.

Reply #513566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember when BA changed the rule to allow players from the Oceania region to play in all Australian leagues (not just the NBL) unrestricted and as locals, it was welcomed by many in NZ, but they were also a little puzzled as they didn't see what Australia had to gain from the deal. Definitely a boost for the opportunities and development of NZ players though.

Reply #513636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754